Torquay United v Maidenhead, Match Day Thread 03/10/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Was that really Torquay United??!!
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Missed the match on Tuesday but just watched the highlights. Wow!
The pace and accuracy of passing was, quite honestly, really surprising. If we can carry that momentum forward then we could be in for a very interesting season. Who knows? We still have Dowling, Pitman and Lee to come back from injury so it all bodes well. Competition for places will no doubt help as will the cumulative effect of the training regime under Owers and Kuhl. Optimistic ? Yes, why not?
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ottery gull »

Forgot to mention the pending return of Jake Gosling and Ryan Clarke. The squad is looking stronger thank goodness. Let's hope we keep everyone fit
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Ottery gull wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 18:45 Forgot to mention the pending return of Jake Gosling and Ryan Clarke. The squad is looking stronger thank goodness. Let's hope we keep everyone fit
Not meaning to be pedantic, but it's Pittman who is close to returning. Gosling with his broken bone will be out for a good month or two yet.

GO will have something of an embarrassment of riches when everyone is back fit. But the quandary is the current starting XI is perfectly meshed with the formation and system. When people are back, I struggle to see where they would fit
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ottery gull »

Not pedantic Jeff. Spot on. Gosling will be out for a while yet. My mistake. But it does make you smile at the dilemma Owers will hopefully have when and if we have a fully fit squad!
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

An embarrassment of riches - one of the problems of being a lottery winner.
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Jeff wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 19:45 Not meaning to be pedantic, but it's Pittman who is close to returning. Gosling with his broken bone will be out for a good month or two yet.

GO will have something of an embarrassment of riches when everyone is back fit. But the quandary is the current starting XI is perfectly meshed with the formation and system. When people are back, I struggle to see where they would fit
I don’t think the system will change. I think Dowling will come straight in when fit for Lathrope and Clarke will probably come back in goal. Pittman and Gosling will add to the depth when fit and I’d expect Myrie-Williams to leave the club.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

JamieE wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 20:38 I don’t think the system will change. I think Dowling will come straight in when fit for Lathrope and Clarke will probably come back in goal. Pittman and Gosling will add to the depth when fit and I’d expect Myrie-Williams to leave the club.
It would be VERY harsh on Dorel if Clarke walked straight back into the team. Obviously I’ve not seen him play, but the reports have been excellent. He should be told the position is his until Clarke can find a way to oust him.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 01:26

It would be VERY harsh on Dorel if Clarke walked straight back into the team. Obviously I’ve not seen him play, but the reports have been excellent. He should be told the position is his until Clarke can find a way to oust him.
Agree totally. Not only has Dorel earned the right to the no.1 spot, you have to realise that clarke whilst a good goal keeper is injury prone. Dorel is by far the better choice for the future and everything should be done to ensure he stays at the club.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Though Dorel hasn't yet agreed the offer of a short term contract.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

I doubt if we could afford to keep both unless Clarke agrees to be the No 2 and take a coaching role within the club . This will edpend on his qualifications of course.Dorel is a young talented keeper and needs 1st team action to push on IMO.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Really don't think a goalkeeper with nearly 450 professional games under his belt needs a qualification to coach. Don't think it's case of whether the club can afford to keep both, with out a keeper coach, and a not fit for purpose understudy (not meant as personal, or criticism) the club can't afford not to keep both.

Think Ower's clearly knows this, hence Osborn going out on loan and an attempt to keep Dorel at the club. Whilst Clarke did nothing wrong prior to his injury, Dorel has been outstanding since his arrival at TUFC, therefore should, and no doubt will keep his place.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 01:26 It would be VERY harsh on Dorel if Clarke walked straight back into the team. Obviously I’ve not seen him play, but the reports have been excellent. He should be told the position is his until Clarke can find a way to oust him.
GO has already said the shirt is Dorels as long as he keeps performing to the same standard. That is how it should be.
Tust member 191
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Mattpuma wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 10:19 GO has already said the shirt is Dorels as long as he keeps performing to the same standard. That is how it should be.
And I think that sends out a really good message, especially given GO has stated he wants to bring in more free agents if he can. Come in, do a good job and there could be a longer term contract waiting for you. Have too many occasions like Chinua Cole - come in to help us out and then we'll show you the door - won't encourage people to sign