FC Halifax Town v Torquay United, Match Day Thread, 21st October 2017

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Brilliant.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 21:32 A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this.
What on earth are you talking about?

The deficit is six points to be made up over thirty games which carry a maximum of ninety points in case you cannot do maths. The goal difference when set against Guiseley is only one worse. It's not even November!

I would say anyone from Tranmere down have cause to worry and a good few above them who could get into a free-falling rut over the rest of the season. Leyton Orient and Barrow are the worst performing of those just above the drop zone over the last five games.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Scouse Shayman wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 20:59 Town fan in peace
I could not make the match today due to work, but, after listening on the radio, reports from my friends at the match and comments on our forum it seems you were the much better team . One friend stressed that if you had somebody who could put away the chances 3 points were yours for the taking. I wish you well for the season and hope you sort your "ownership problems" soon. My hotel is already booked for April so may be able to have a "brown falling down water" with some of you then. Again good luck for the rest of the season
Thanks very much for that
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

merse btpir wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 23:32 What on earth are you talking about?

The deficit is six points to be made up over thirty games which carry a maximum of ninety points in case you cannot do maths. The goal difference when set against Guiseley is only one worse. It's not even November!

I would say anyone from Tranmere down have cause to worry and a good few above them who could get into a free-falling rut over the rest of the season. Leyton Orient and Barrow are the worst performing of those just above the drop zone over the last five games.
While I get your point about making up the deficit over thirty games blah blah etc etc it seems you seem to have pesumably either ignored what I was saying or simply overlooked it. It's my opinion and I'm sorry if it offends you in any way that we need 7 points from nine in out next 3 games to start the latest escape tunnel.
You will notice I have stopped short of suggesting that you cannot read as to do so may unnecessarily offend and in essence would be a twatish thing to do.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 04:16 What you are ommitting to acknowledge is that you ended your statement with ' .......or we are not coming back from this'

Of course we can come back from this if the team do not achieve your short term target of 7 from the next 9 points available ~ that's my opinion!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

That was a point worth getting out of bed for !!

I thought they tried hard with some close passing , switching the play and good runs up through the middle. Just struggling at times to find a clinical position to pull the trigger. Davis was superb and had a golden chance which the goalie saved in 2nd half , a possible penalty and several breakaway into there half with just not quite making it happen. Plenty of balls into there area.
Going a goal down felt a smack in the teeth but to carry doing what we were doing and to create a chance which we took was pleasing. Murphy done well with some skill to beat defenders and Reid worked hard and deserved a goal.
Halifax was poor and any neutral at game wouldn't have known the different places in the league between the teams. 3 points lost or a point gained ? Well for me it's a point gained as we didn't drop our heads like we have done and kept doing the basics of football. Passing and movement. Keeping possession of the football will always keep your stamina at a higher level as the games ticks on. It showed apart from last 10 mins when the wind whipped up and the rain came and I felt halifax were happier for the time to whittle down than torquay were.
We are off the bottom, stick the gary owers and keep doing what we done today and we will be ok. Still not success but after the terrible start and the 4 week wait for a manager. there is some shape and belief in that team today and carry on the positives and we will survive this league this season. # be positive
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 21 Oct 2017, 20:01
nice to meet westyorkshiregull and lucy6lucy......
a good turn out - probably around 150 TUFC fans....
well done one and all.

Up the Gulls.
what about me you ****!!??
still keeping the faith
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I don't know why any opinion should offend, there all entitled and valuable. But when a posters makes statements like " A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this. " Then expect to be challenged.

Yes, I get the sentiment in this statement, our team needs to start winning games now, that's obvious we all know it. But saying a point isn't worth getting out of bed for, is like saying a point is worth no more than a defeat, nonsense, that point that wasn't worth getting out of bed for, closed the gap, as other results went our way.

And to say our team needs 7 points from their next 3 games in October is equally total nonsense, there are 30 games left, our team could realistically lose another 10 match's from now and still survive relegation, would be tall order, but still doable.

Cast your minds back to 2005-6, 6 points adrift with just 6 games left, not 30, relegation from League 2 avoided, and even last season, when a 2.1 away loss at Lincoln, left us needing to win all of our last 3 games, relegation avoided, no team has ever been relegated at this point in a season.

Our team started this season conceding 16 goals in their first 6 games, they have conceded just 5 goals in their last 6 games, performances are improving, and there is some consistency coming into these improved performances, we're probably now a goalscorer away from turning defeats into draws, and draws into wins.

Yes, we've left ourselves a mountain to climb , but it's by no means over.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:52I don't know why any opinion should offend........
tufcyellowarmy didn't offend me ~ I can't think when I was last offended ~ but his viewpoint did leave me incredulous. Thank God we neither have management nor players who think like this.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 10:31 tufcyellowarmy didn't offend me ~ I can't think when I was last offended ~ but his viewpoint did leave me incredulous. Thank God we neither have management nor players who think like this.
That's the thing about opinions isn't it ?
We are all entitled to our own regardless of how different they may be from others.
And we are all entitled to express an alternative with reasoned arguement to back it up.
Posters who resort to personal snipes such as suggesting someone may need help with maths or other sarcastic vernacular needs to have a look at themselves.
Just remember there may be those that do have issues and would be offended. But I doubt you would care anyway by the sounds of it !
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:17 what about me you ****!!??
I refer the right honourable gentleman to the OP.

.........and you're a t*at too.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 09:52 I don't know why any opinion should offend, there all entitled and valuable. But when a posters makes statements like " A point is not worth getting out of bed for......we need 7 from 9 points in our next three games or we are not coming back from this. " Then expect to be challenged.

Yes, I get the sentiment in this statement, our team needs to start winning games now, that's obvious we all know it. But saying a point isn't worth getting out of bed for, is like saying a point is worth no more than a defeat, nonsense, that point that wasn't worth getting out of bed for, closed the gap, as other results went our way.

And to say our team needs 7 points from their next 3 games in October is equally total nonsense, there are 30 games left, our team could realistically lose another 10 match's from now and still survive relegation, would be tall order, but still doable.

Cast your minds back to 2005-6, 6 points adrift with just 6 games left, not 30, relegation from League 2 avoided, and even last season, when a 2.1 away loss at Lincoln, left us needing to win all of our last 3 games, relegation avoided, no team has ever been relegated at this point in a season.

Our team started this season conceding 16 goals in their first 6 games, they have conceded just 5 goals in their last 6 games, performances are improving, and there is some consistency coming into these improved performances, we're probably now a goalscorer away from turning defeats into draws, and draws into wins.

Yes, we've left ourselves a mountain to climb , but it's by no means over.
correct Dave - nobody gets relegated in October. It was interesting talking to the Halifax fans in the pub after - they were complimentary about us and couldn't believe we were bottom after playing as well as we did. they all agreed as well that we need someone to stick the ball in the net - if we had that yesterday we'd have won easily. that's not to say that it wasn't a good performance.
it was also interesting what they said about Halifax - they seem to think they've peaked and will start dropping down the table...
TBH they didn't look that good - granted their top scorer was banned - but it just shows that there isn't much difference in the teams in this mediocre league - lets hope that come April there are four teams below us...
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tufcyellowarmy wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 11:20 That's the thing about opinions isn't it ?
We are all entitled to our own regardless of how different they may be from others.
And we are all entitled to express an alternative with reasoned arguement to back it up.
Posters who resort to personal snipes such as suggesting someone may need help with maths or other sarcastic vernacular needs to have a look at themselves.
Just remember there may be those that do have issues and would be offended. But I doubt you would care anyway by the sounds of it !
I think you're opinion about "not worth getting out of bed for a point" was the divisive statement.
obviously you weren't there....
I can assure you it was worth it - the team played well and it was the least they deserved in difficult conditions in the 2nd half.

TUST Member 468

tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 11:38 I think you're opinion about "not worth getting out of bed for a point" was the divisive statement.
obviously you weren't there....
I can assure you it was worth it - the team played well and it was the least they deserved in difficult conditions in the 2nd half.
Point taken ( pardon the pun )
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Hopefully Owers has hit on a team and formation that is going to get results. It looks a strong and solid team
and Higgins and Davis look ideally suited to the wing back role. Danny Racchi was saying that we had the much
better players yesterday. These players should not be in the bottom half and if Owers can build on getting them
to play as a team and find a cutting edge we should be alright. 4 points from the next two games would be nice
which should get us closer to the teams above before the 2 week break