Sutton united V Torquay United 21/11/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arrywithanh wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 08:15 ......am I the only person that doesn't think that 'Gowling' fits into the TUFC matchday team. I think he is singularly potentially one of the best players that we have but in our current team I find him uninspiring, he is quite slow, cumbersome and his marking is distant at times.
He looks to me like a player 'who's legs are going' and I don't think proper research was done on him by the previous manager as to why he had been left out in the cold at Grimsby for so long. Now the fact he doesn't play on 3G and he so frequently goes missing when injured or fails to recover from matches sufficiently, tells a tale.

He's 34 this week and it looks like it too!

I like his style of distribution but his seeming reluctance to stick his head in there and increasing tendency to be second to balls dropped into the near post and in the air is an easily spotted weakness that opponents appear to be aware of ~ hence the arrival of Davey (I think).

I think Efete could be a 'beast' at this level and McGinty could and should perform to much higher technical standard than was apparent under the last management and is slowly evolving now and if he does then there is a potentially 'saleable' asset there.

So fingers crossed that Efete and Davey can stay to the season's end and that some consistency and progress can be made with has the makings of a potentially very good defence regarding suitability for this league
arrywithanh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: argreaveswithanh

Post by arrywithanh »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 10:17 He looks to me like a player 'who's legs are going' and I don't think proper research was done on him by the previous manager as to why he had been left out in the cold at Grimsby for so long. Now the fact he doesn't play on 3G and he so frequently goes missing when injured or fails to recover from matches sufficiently, tells a tale.

He's 34 this week and it looks like it too!

I like his style of distribution but his seeming reluctance to stick his head in there and increasing tendency to be second to balls dropped into the near post and in the air is an easily spotted weakness that opponents appear to be aware of ~ hence the arrival of Davey (I think).

I think Efete could be a 'beast' at this level and McGinty could and should perform to much higher technical standard than was apparent under the last management and is slowly evolving now and if he does then there is a potentially 'saleable' asset there.

So fingers crossed that Efete and Davey can stay to the season's end and that some consistency and progress can be made with has the makings of a potentially very good defence regarding suitability for this league
For a young guy I thought Davey was exceptional last night. Fingers crossed!
Amber SUFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Amber SUFC »

Congratulations of your victory. Our manager gives his thoughts on the game:

Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

A measured, balanced assessment. Thanks
TUST number 080
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Still no sign of the new striker(s). From reports yesterday it sounded as though Gnabouyou was all but over the line. The win yesterday was bloody brilliant, but I hope that Keating getting a goal hasn't swayed us from bringing in some fresh faces up top!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Both Owers and Kuhl deserve this win and so do the players.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The question has to be - Are there enough Tuesday night games to see us to safely ??
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 16:04 Both Owers and Kuhl deserve this win and so do the players.
The fans deserve it more.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

It is a great win but we were here after the 0-1 V Ebbsfleet,

Need to make it count on Saturday with another 3 points
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 16:12 The question has to be - Are there enough Tuesday night games to see us to safely ??
The atmosphere is better on away night games but on home games we could always turn the lights out if we were losing.

=D
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes, its no good in our position winning the odd game every 3 or 4. We really need 3 wins in a row to get back
in the scrap, we are overdue a happy 5 o'clock trip home on a saturday, our last one was in January against
Gateshead ! ( Ferriby was 12.15 ko) But we struggle to score at home and nearly always concede so not
confident. Probably be on the bench but would like to see the frenchman alongside Keating with Reid in the hole
You can guarantee running , commitment , harrying etc from Keating and Reid. Also like to see Young taken off
corners, as he strikes a good ball he would be useful lurking on the edge of the box for a half cleared corner
Be interesting to see if Gowling comes back in after his 3G break, I think he has been exceptional in the home
games I have seen (all) and not much experience if you play Efete, Davy and McGinty but would be hard on Efete
or Davy to be left out after last night
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 16:38 The fans deserve it more.
I think everyone involved with Torquay United collectively deserves this win last night as a statement of what we Can do. Management, players, fans. We are in it together. Just need consistency now.
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Amber SUFC wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 14:05 Congratulations of your victory. Our manager gives his thoughts on the game:

Thanks for sharing that.

Very refreshing to hear a manager praise the opposition and not whinge and moan. Seems like a decent bloke and was balanced in the interview.

Interesting that he thought we were in a false position.
TUST MEMBER
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I thought the same Neal. He is not the first Manager to say we are better than Bottom but it is all about converting the chances as we all know and that is the problem.
So pleased for Gary and Martin and the players who to a man by the sound of it gave everything last night.
Sutton boss said how difficult it is in this League to win 3 in a row whoever you are because it is so competitive.
I have made a note of the bottom 8 teams in today's League Table to see were they all finish on Sat April 28th.
Sutton boss says 54 points to guarantee safety means we need 40 points from 25 games which is 1.6 points a match.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote: 22 Nov 2017, 20:46 I thought the same Neal. He is not the first Manager to say we are better than Bottom but it is all about converting the chances as we all know and that is the problem.
So pleased for Gary and Martin and the players who to a man by the sound of it gave everything last night.
Sutton boss said how difficult it is in this League to win 3 in a row whoever you are because it is so competitive.
I have made a note of the bottom 8 teams in today's League Table to see were they all finish on Sat April 28th.
Sutton boss says 54 points to guarantee safety means we need 40 points from 25 games which is 1.6 points a match.
That is a depressing statistic. Albeit no team has gone down on 54 points I think. :)
Lucy