Torquay v Aldershot match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

If you'd have offered me a point and a clean sheet before the game I'd have bitten both of your arms off!! From listening to the game though, sounds like we should have taken all the points today!

What an improvement from a few months ago and looks like last Saturday wasn't just a fluke!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Absolutely agree
TUST MEMBER
Ottery gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Ottery gull »

Putting this match in context, Aldershot, top of the league, won the last four matches, equal highest scorers. Not a bad afternoon's work. Onwards and upwards indeed
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

And another clean sheet, well done the management team, made a difference :)
TUST MEMBER
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

well done Gary Owers and Martin Khul, a lot of people didn't like his appointment but it seems the right man has got the job, well done to both. This team is going to be hard to beat.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Stating the obvious indeed, but this game was always going to be a better test as to whether our team is genuinely improving, on todays performance, test not only passed, passed with flying colours, no, we're now, not rubbish anymore.

The opening 15-20 minutes of the game did throw up some concerns, there was one keystones kops moment in our back line early doors, thankfully, for once it went unpunished, Aldershot were at that point having the better of possession, Torquay struggling to get the ball down, and play the football we're becoming used to under Ower's and Kuhl.

You have to earn the right to play with ball, in the middle of the pitch, you do that be working, getting further up the pitch, pressing and competing for everything, and that's exactly what our team did, as the game grow, our team grow also, we saw the team get the ball down, get our game going, and towards the end of the first half, and for large parts of the second half, imposed our game on Aldershot, another tick in the check box.

Defense apart from that one awful moment early in the game, rock solid, dealt with everything, in the opening and closing stages of the game, that Aldershot throw at them, please can we keep Davey, made a big difference back there.

Aldershot, big strong team, well organised, and a fair bit of pace also, you can see why their in the position they are, and why they've been rolling their opponents over in recent games, for me, this makes the result and performance all the better for us, because not only have we competed with them, their players knew they'd been in a game today, but we've hit their post, created more and better chances, so whilst a point was affair result, our team maybe feeling tad unlucky not have won.

All in all, a very day at the office, got to keep it up now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A good performance Keating playing as he wants to be out there we at long last have a manager and assistant that has motivated the players. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of the new striker but no one deserved to come off. McGinty played well along with Davis.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

A good game of football for a 0-0 which you dont often say and difficult to tell the difference in placements in the league too!

The one clear cut opportunity we created in the 2nd half and McQuiod headed over - he needs to work on his heading!

Great team ethic today - we would have been humped by them a couple months ago but kept going right to the end,

Davis was my MoM too outstanding today

The negative was the ref - inconsistent, poor decision making and generally all over the place.

oh and a mention for Lathrope who seemed to have some fire in his stomach today impacted all over the midfield
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

A very good point today. In the last 3 games we have beaten 2 teams fighting at the top, and 1 just above us showing that the team is motivated. Let’s be honest, if we’d lost, the excuse of “Alsershot are top” was there to be used.

One thing that irks me a little is in the post match interview GO said about how unfit the team was. That’s down to the players, especially full time professionals. Players should be staying fit in there own time, in my opinion. Players shouldn’t be turning up to training unfit.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A very encouraging performance from the whole team today against a very good, well supported Aldershot team.
I could not fault the work ethic of a single player today and if we keep up this level of pressing and intensity we will survive.
Huge credit to the players but in truth it is Gary Owers and Martin Kuhl who have transformed the team in the last 11 weeks.
Cruisinho I totally disagree with you about player fitness being down to the players.
The last 4 months have proved beyond doubt that it is Management that determines the level of fitness that a squad achieves and Gary realised in Match one at Barrow on Sept 16th just how unfit the squad was.
If you compare today with the first 10 games this season it is like night and day.
Just ask the players. They know!!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Another excellent performance. Think we edged the game and had the better chances. The last two home
displays have been the best we have seen for a long time. If we play like this next week we can definitely
get something at Tranmere. We pressed and closed them down so well today, worked our socks off and
didnt give them any time on the ball. With the way luck goes when you are at the bottom I had a feeling
we would concede late but it didnt happen fortunately. I just wish we could score a last minute winner but
it so rarely happens!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

One thing that irks me a little is in the post match interview GO said about how unfit the team was. That’s down to the players, especially full time professionals. Players should be staying fit in there own time, in my opinion. Players shouldn’t be turning up to training unfit.

This view point couldn't further from the truth it were possible. It is, and always has 100% the responsibility of the management and coaching staff to ensure there is fitness and condition programme in place, the majority of which is and always has been completed during training. The bulk of player fitness training is done in pre-season, once a player is fit, well he's fit, conditioning and maintenance should then follow.

It is 100 % the responsibility of the management and coaching to ensure, that the players are fully aware of what is expected of them regards fitness and conditioning during a players free time ( and why shouldn't they have some ) which normally involves, eating a balanced diet to support fitness, and making sure they're drinking the correct amount of fluids.

Professional footballers are fully entitled to let their hair down during their free time, but, it is the responsibility of the management and coaching staff to make the players aware, to consume sensible amounts of alcohol and takeaway's etc.

GO was correct to point out the previous lack of player fitness, the improvements are there for us all to see.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

There can't be one true TUFC supporter who still thinks all was well under the previous management. Yes there were constraints but with the budget available was it spent wisely? The all-round improvement and progress under Owers and Kuhl is there for all to see. These guys are leading us to safety.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

The wait for the appointment of Owers and Kuhl seems to have been worth it.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 21:17 One thing that irks me a little is in the post match interview GO said about how unfit the team was. That’s down to the players, especially full time professionals. Players should be staying fit in there own time, in my opinion. Players shouldn’t be turning up to training unfit.

This view point couldn't further from the truth it were possible. It is, and always has 100% the responsibility of the management and coaching staff to ensure there is fitness and condition programme in place, the majority of which is and always has been completed during training. The bulk of player fitness training is done in pre-season, once a player is fit, well he's fit, conditioning and maintenance should then follow.

It is 100 % the responsibility of the management and coaching to ensure, that the players are fully aware of what is expected of them regards fitness and conditioning during a players free time ( and why shouldn't they have some ) which normally involves, eating a balanced diet to support fitness, and making sure they're drinking the correct amount of fluids.
My son-in-law threw his membership of 'Winners' in because of the number of Torquay United players hanging about and posing; cluttering up the place and causing long waits to use the equipment. Doesn't say a lot about the manner in which these players were either trained or supervised does it.

In this day and age, a lot of the personal fitness is expected to be down to the individual and the individual is expected to have a responsible attitude towards it especially at part-tine clubs where training time together is precious and needing to be devoted to coaching and game preparation; repetition of technique.

I was also party recently to a par-time club's director of football reading the riot act to a number of players who were constantly missing games because (in his opinion) they weren't following the laid down procedures for rest and recovery between matches and being unable to shake off silly little knocks...........'rest and recovery doesn't mean going out on a Saturday night when you have another game on the Tuesday' he was saying ~ 'especially at your level!'

I know of one (full-time) club where the players are expected to do extra fitness work in the club suite, sign in and sign out. I don't think it is a good thing for players to be either doing their fitness work in public or in the view of the public if on club premises.