Tranmere Rovers v Torquay United 9/12/17

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The reality is that since Gary Owers took over and improved the team no end we have failed to score in 8 out of 14 games.
Stats do not lie.Since Gary took the reins we have won 4, drawn 3 and lost 7. Four of the losses have been at Home which has really damaged us.
We have scored just 11 goals in the 14 games but remember 7 of those came in the wins against Maidenhead and Leyton Orient.
We have conceded 14 which is a big improvement as we shipped 23 in the first 10 games before Gary arrived.
Sure as eggs are eggs we have got to find a striker from somewhere or we are going to find it impossible to get out of this mess.
The Eastleigh games are looking more and more crucial.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Swanny wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 19:22
Yes agreed, I have been saying this for several weeks now on 2 forums and it still falls on mainly deaf ears. We have a huge amount to catch up to get anywhere near the 50 point (safety mark). We need to perform at least as an upper mid table team for the rest of the season to stand any chance of survival. We clearly still have not got the goal power in the team currently to achieve this. In fact we will do very well if we are still in with a chance at the end. This sadly is the reality of the situation.
No, yours, and other forum members who've posted in a similar vein, haven't fallen on deaf ears. With all due respect, what your good self, and others have done, is nothing else but state the bleedin obvious (maybe a reason for the lack of response) every single little TUFC fan knows with out doubt the situation we're in, and what's required to get out of it.

As already pointed out, in 2006 under Atkins the reality of the situation was, 15 points from our last 5 games to have any hope of staying in League 2, the team hadn't won back to back games all that season, where were these points coming from, 13 points later relegation avoided, last season 6 points were needed from the last 3 games to get to 50 points, the reality of the situation told us 3 wins from 3 were needed, 3 wins later relegation avoided.

And that's the point, with 22 games left, whether we're relegated or not by game 46, is not as simplistic as you and others are suggesting. There's no guarantee's that the team will not go and win their next 10 games, there's no guarantee's they wont lose the next 10, who knows, and that's also the point, maths/science, complicated algorithm's as I've maintained all along don't come to it, it needs no over-complication.

There's 22 games left, we need to win 11 of them, that simple, otherwise we're the lap of the gods.

One thing I do know, never ever give up, from our history there's plenty of evidence, your not relegated until the math's say otherwise, it's never over until the fat lady sings, and as far as we're concerned she's not warming her voice up yet.

If we're relegated at the end of the season, then it will become what it is, no end of worrying, posting between now and the end of the season, oh woe is I, if we don't this number of games we're doomed is going change it. It will become a case of what's done is done.

How will us fans react to it, will we sit around moaning like a bunch of old winbags , will we do what you see at the end of every season, when the pictures coming in around the grounds, of grown men crying like a ward of new born babies (please spare us) Or will we do, what I'll do, pick my self up, dust myself off, take it on chin, and carry on doing what I've always done, support my club, my team ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

With so many players not secured on contracts beyond the end of the year ~ rather than the end of the season ~ no even the manager really knows as yet what squad he will be working with in the second half of the season. Then there are the ones you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy who are under contract......Anderson, Kuklowski, possibly Chaney are those who are neither use nor ornament to him.

Even Gowling at his age and injury record being given a two year contract was incompetence of the highest order; and look how many games Pittmann missed for Harrogate last season too yet he also got a two year deal...and what was signing Osborn all about? Now we've got three goalies instead of two ~ another waste of resources.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Just got back yes we lost to a very good side goals came from crosses but the team gave everything but 3 goal loss was not a true reflection. Tranmere's right side was very pacey and this kept our supply wide on the left restricted.Davis who has been m.o.m. the last few games was under pressure. Both our strikers were struggling under the slippery conditions a nil nil was all we could try for but trying to get back into the game after they had scored we gave away a couple of freebys. Enjoyed the game but not the loss a great day out supporting the lads.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Thank you arcadia because if the team gave everything that gives real hope for Tuesday against Gateshead at Plainmoor.
A must win game against a tough Northern team who will be hard to beat.What did you think of our new French striker Guy?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

French lad
On what I've seen no better than what we've got but that would not be fare on him as he's only had bit parts to play. If I was Owers I would start him with Keating but I think it will be with Reid if it happens. Merse mentioned Pittman he came on but had two chances just don't rate what I've seen.
McGinty was quality today Efeta came off in the first half after a collision with their keeper new Centre half Andresson is quality strong for a 19 year old and he opens his mouth to organise.
We need to release Davis as he provides the width yesterday he was marking a far quicker skillful player than him and was not in our forward play.
Efeta damaged his ribs was walking after the game.
Davey was struggling got kicked and will be doubtful for Tuesday.
The players were training today as Owers and Kuhl wanted them in.

This is a great change in attitude and more professional approach to midweek games.
Owers may try Frenchman in Trophy.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Thanks arcadia. Very interesting that Owers and Kuhl had the players in today.

Surprising in some ways after such a long trip and no recovery time. Obviously they have their reasons.
Just watched the Highlights of the 0-5 Home defeat of Gateshead to Luton in F A Cup on December 3rd.
Gateshead certainly look vulnerable at the back but in Johnson they have a dangerous striker.
One of our few Home wins in 2017 when we beat Gateshead 3-1 on January 28th.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

It's funny that we are saying Owers and Kuhl and not one of them as they do work as a team I've not seen that at Torquay before.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

I'm afraid none of our so called strikers are good enough and unless this problem can be addressed the improvements that have been achieved with the rest of the team will be of little use by the end of the season. Reid, Keating, Pittman are not the answer, never have been never will be.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Incredible and telling statistic from Portugull, take away the Maidenhead and Orient games and we have
scored 4 goals in 12 games !! Think Keating could in time be a regular scorer with the right player with him
but we havent got time. Dont just blame the strikers though, goals should come from all over the pitch
the centre backs should be scoring more from set plays, but we dont attack the ball, Jim McNichol will be
there tomorrow night, they should ask him how to do it. Young scores a few from midfield but thats the only
threat. Simply more shots would be a start !
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

It appears to me that the coaches/managers and even the players are putting their all into this however what is Harrop and Hedges doing?? Are they working hard enough in supporting the coaches.
IMO those two are the weak links because i cannot see what they are achieving. In fact what do they do?? I may be doing them a complete disservice.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

SBP wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 10:24 I may be doing them a complete disservice.

Yes you might because none of us know precisely what the current parameters of their jobs are.......

For instance; Harrop is General Manager which means he is not Director of Football but generally managing the whole shebang from overseeing the commercial side to matchday operations, to rebuilidng the football infrastructure of the club, to organising and booking away travel and accommodation for the team. A million and one things to do.

I've said it before but Hedges primary brief is to recruit suitable talent to develop within the emerging youth structure. That he has also been scouting future opponents is an addition to his portfolio that was given to him during Kevin Nicholson's time. Does he do it now? I've no idea; and neither have you! ;-)
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

I think Tim Herbert,as Club Secretary,would be at least sharing some of the responsibilities listed above,and Andy Candy is providing valuable assistance too.