Torquay v Boreham Wood

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

hector wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 11:49 It was a penalty. Davey retaliated in the penalty area. Utterly stupid.

Why also, does the team persist in the ridiculous strategy from kick off of booting the ball up in the air and as far as they can down the left wing? They did it under Nicholson. Has Owers not noticed they do it? They give away possession every single time. It’s brainless.
I think it has something to do with the modern game (a sort of American football end zone philosophy) - put the opposition on the back foot, deep in their own territory and take the pressure off our players from minute one. I don't think it does either. We are not looking for a touchdown were looking to score goals, so I'm with you on this one - its brainless. Kick-off should be an exhilarating start to the game, a time for us to pass to our playmaker to thread the ball to our forwards running into the channels to attempt to ping off a shot at goal. (now wouldn't that be a sight to behold - a shot on target!)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:04 How is it a penalty for Christ sake? Andrade pulls Davey by the leg and then shoulder barges him. If you want to be pedantic there are two fouls by Andrade. So you can quite merrily run into a player and shoulder barge him when the opposition have the ball. Its football not **** Roller Derby - its a ludicrous decision.
Well quite obviously the lino (from his positioning and angle) who attracted the refereee's attention did not see the Andrade action but did see Davey's ~ only an idiot retaliates when in his own penalty area and Davey was an idiot!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:14 Well quite obviously the lino (from his positioning and angle) who attracted the refereee's attention did not see the Andrade action but did see Davey's ~ only an idiot retaliates when in his own penalty area and Davey was an idiot!
Davey is a seasoned enough professional to know not to retaliate in your own penalty area. He should hold his head in shame for letting the Boreham player get one over him. I can't see Ower's or the players being to happy with his performance. He now owes us a big display against Eastleigh (if he is picked - the jury should be still out on that one) . He should take a leaf out of the old school 'Leeds' players - Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter - wait till the 90th minute then run over and deck the player.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

With Barnum Bobb suspended Higgins should play right wing back and Efete central but Owers really
doesnt like Higgins , ok he is not great defensively but at least he always gives 100% and is good going forward
and he can shoot ! Maybe he wont have a winger to mark, or does that Polish bloke play on the left wing ?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Shouldn't have been a penalty. The first offence is what counts and that was a foul by their player. It should have been a free kick to Torquay, and maybe both players booked.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

The next highlight straight after their first goal shows one of our players going in with both feet off the ground and takes their player out.

Who the hell was it, and how were they still allowed on the pitch? Shocking, disgraceful tackle in my opinion.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Shouldn't have been a penalty. The first offence is what counts?

........and if the 'first offence' has been missed or ignored because the ball is in the keeper's hands and therefore it is in the United interest to get the ball rolling quickly?

Think about it; Davey was stupid.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Yes he was stupid but it was still a referring error to give the penalty.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Scott Brehaut wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 13:12The next highlight straight after their first goal shows one of our players going in with both feet off the ground and takes their player out. Who the hell was it, and how were they still allowed on the pitch? Shocking, disgraceful tackle in my opinion.
That was Davey too ~ totally missed by the ref.

There was another wierd decision in our favour when Efete took out Murtagh who had to off for treatment yet the ref re-started with a free-kick for us. He made some debatable decisions, but in no way favoured one side over the other.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Davey just totally frustrated I guess and not excusing him. Me for one has tried to be positive but this bunch have no desire for our club , is honestly boot the lot out if I could.. It's rotten from top to bottom
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Having just watched the 'lowlights' of yesterday's game, the most irritating part was the stupid music that kept playing whenever BH scored, and at the end of the match too. The most concerning part however was the reaction of the Torquay players when BH scored their first goal - er...no reaction actually. No-one shouting at team-mates to get a grip, get stuck in etc. Does anyone in the team REALLY care about our club?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

budegull1954 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 15:54 Having just watched the 'lowlights' of yesterday's game, the most irritating part was the stupid music that kept playing whenever BH scored, and at the end of the match too. The most concerning part however was the reaction of the Torquay players when BH scored their first goal - er...no reaction actually. No-one shouting at team-mates to get a grip, get stuck in etc. Does anyone in the team REALLY care about our club?
McGinty looked a bit pissed off to me.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

budegull1954 wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 15:54 Having just watched the 'lowlights' of yesterday's game, the most irritating part was the stupid music that kept playing whenever BH scored, and at the end of the match too. The most concerning part however was the reaction of the Torquay players when BH scored their first goal - er...no reaction actually. No-one shouting at team-mates to get a grip, get stuck in etc. Does anyone in the team REALLY care about our club?
They didn't look like they cared much at the end of the game either.
The whole afternoon seemed like just going through the motions of playing a football match. Having more than a third of the crowd supporting Torquay didn't seem to lift them.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just the typical sort of performance that we would come to expect from this sort of fixture. Backs against the wall against Eastleigh in front of a decent crowd and we give our all to get a point.

Play in a match with sod all atmosphere and we appear flat as a bloody pancake.

Your right about the music though - its actually pathetic in front of their 390 home supporters.
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

MellowYellow wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 12:10 I think it has something to do with the modern game (a sort of American football end zone philosophy) - put the opposition on the back foot, deep in their own territory and take the pressure off our players from minute one. I don't think it does either. We are not looking for a touchdown were looking to score goals, so I'm with you on this one - its brainless. Kick-off should be an exhilarating start to the game, a time for us to pass to our playmaker to thread the ball to our forwards running into the channels to attempt to ping off a shot at goal. (now wouldn't that be a sight to behold - a shot on target!)
Well we haven't got a playmaker have we and therein lies the answer to many of our problems. So, hoofing it as far away from our goal right from the start has to be the answer, or so it seems. He might not have had a good game yesterday but seeing as how he has hardly played this season I would be prepared to cut Gosling some slack. Young does put some effort in but his creativity is woeful and I'm afraid Lathrop just gets bullied off the ball time and time again.