Macclesfield Town v Torquay United 27/1/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Ray Johnstone wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 23:36 Great result for the Gulls, but it is too late in the piece. I predict Torquay, Guiseley, Chester and Halifax to be this year's 4 teams to be relegated from the National League. Ray
No, Ray - you're only half right. Torquay & Chester - yes. Paul Cox will keep Guiseley up as he would have kept Barrow up if he had stayed. Looking from the outside, it looks as if Barrow are crumbling and will be one of the four to be relegated. The fourth team could be Halifax, but I don't think so. Neither will it be Solihull Moors nor Leyton Orient where experienced managers are turning things around. It may well be Maidenhead who, like York last season, could get caught in the final few games. Hartlepool are another club in danger of being caught. But Torquay, Chester and Barrow - dead certs.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:04 Paul Cox will keep Guiseley up as he would have kept Barrow up if he had stayed.
As indeed he would have Torquay United had he stayed! :-D
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Macclesfield's Official site has recently put up a 'goal cam' video of Whitehead's goal. It's a rocket that Dorel knew nothing about as the ball literally flew into the net.
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

First game since Halifax away - both games felt we should have won, but ultimately pleased because we didn't crumble at 1-0 down in either.

Echo the thoughts on Reid. I'm hoping we get a Williams-Romain strikeforce for the foreseeable. I will defend Reid on the one-on-one, though. Yes, he should have scored it, but no other Torquay player on the pitch would have even created the chance for himself.

Sadly, his head seemed to drop the second the ball flashed wide and it was downhill from there. His general inability to get any sort of a challenge in is as frustrating as it gets.

Felt we should have got at them a bit more in the first half. You could tell in the first half they'd conceded 6 the week before - none of the defenders wanted the ball and the keeper wasn't interested.

If you'd offered me a point at the start of the day I'd have probably taken it, but now I'm frustrated we didn't win. It was there for the taking.

Dorel, Balatoni, Young, Barnes, Davis and Romain all played well.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

You say Davis played well, maybe he did , you saw the whole game I have only seen the highlights, but good
as he is going forward, he wasnt stopping the crosses shown and closing down very well, in general the amount of time
and space Macc had on the right flank was alarming, also as good a strike as it was , it a very poor clearance
from McGinty? that gave him the shooting chance
apgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Gritton

Post by apgull »

Just watched the highlights myself. Seems like only one incident where he doesn't close down their right winger - who, for the record, was the man of the match by a country mile.

Also - how much has Clarke paid the editor to skim through the first half as quickly as possible?! And Dorel's save is even better on that video than it was in real life.

McGinty's clearance - good grief. Notice that someone (Young?) slips as he goes to make the block. Not saying it would have made a difference but might have.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

I watched Silkmen TV highlights maybe bit different, they didnt even show Dorels save!
Not saying it was all down to Davis but it was all too easy down the right hand side for Macc
I like Davis but full backs have to bust a gut to stop the cross
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

All to easy to blame the defending of Davis. From the radio commentary one could deduce that their was an issue down the flank and I was surprised that neither McGinty (as captain) or Owers did not give out instructions to counter it. That said one should also give credit to the Macclesfields wide midfielder for doing his job namely, for having the pace and dribbling ability to be able to beat Davis along the flank and make the crosses.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

The highlights don’t really do Davis any justice, he was good from start to finish. Maccs small winger looked class, and on too many occasions Davis was left exposed marking him, and the full back!