Torquay United v Barrow 3/2/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Yorkieandy wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 16:58 :lol:

No credit was deserved IMO for the point up at Macc but full credit deserved today for everyone involved as a win was achieved and achieved under so much pressure (admittedly all of Owers and the players own making in the first place). Nonetheless a win is what was needed and a win was achieved so for today at least it's pats on the back all round.

We go again next game where another win is required or all of today counts for not very much.
They had to fight hard at Macc and were worthy of a point.

Sounds today like they have been boyd on by a new found bit of confidence from that point. Hopefully, that win today will push that confidence level up even more now and we can go on a decent run!

For the first time in ages, I can’t wait for the match reports to come in!!!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

First half was poor from both teams. a bit of hoof ball throughout. Second half was much better. Romain and Williams worked well together and Dowling and young were dogged in the midfield. Silly penalty to give away from Gowling which proved to cause a bit of nervousness both on and off the pitch. Overall much better 2nd half though. When they play with a bit of tempo they look better.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Said last week, Ower's decision to shut up shop and go for the point at Macclesfield will look a good decision, if the team win v Barrow, job done.

Hard to quantify today really, Apologies to our Barrow guests, but today Barrow looked a poor, sorry team, but you can only play against what's in front of you on the day. After a scrappy first half where I believed there was a chance we could go on a win it second half, the team grow in confidence, after the first, we were treated to two very good goals, first individual from Dowling, and the next goal a good team goal.

The only concern, a poor piece of defending from Gowling, the Barrow lads goal side, but going no where, don't foul, and contact and we all know what he's going to do, from that the old nerves set in, and we looked vulnerable.

Thankfully game closed out and 3 points, from a game the team had to win, follow this up with another, and there's just glimmer of hope, nothing more.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

gateman49 wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 11:56 Hi forevertufc, you obviously haven't been out for a run with your dog this morning, I am surprised that the official site doesn't have an update as it really is soggy out there. The good news is that the sun is currently shining and my missus is wondering whether or not to put out the washing!
Correct I didn't, but didn't have to, work outside all week around Torquay, Paington and Brixham, know very well how soggy the verges and common land around the bay is, but it's a football pitch, that's had a lot of money spent on it, and now has exellent drainage.

As said there's was little rain in week, what fell was light and not prolonged, the pitch wouldn't have been holding a lot of water, so easily able to cope with last nights down pour. After all, my assumption that the game was never in doubt, as normal, was 100% right :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

I think most of us agreed before the game, It was a must win! a draw or loss, I think even the most optimistic fan would have accepted the inevitable. Dreaded relegation. So the pressure was really on, Cometh the hour cometh the gulls... Fantastic result and to do it in such style, can only bode well. I also agree with Forevertufc, we can not underestimate the importance of last week 1-1 draw. Isn't nice to be able to say two games unbeaten especially after the run we were on...
Still much to do but you have to start somewhere, So much to still play for.. I honestly believe we will survive. Purely on the assumption no one can play as bad us all season we are due a run of form and this could be it.. The only downside of a fantastic weekend, Bloody Orient beat Dover in the FA vase which means the 24th Feb away game will be re-arranged.. Can you believe how the world works travel 4000 miles timing my trip to watch 3 games and Orient who's season is almost been as bad as ours, Pull some result out of the bag and boom my trip has been shattered...... Oh well at least have the two home games to look forward too!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

The team did what they had to do against a very aggressive Barrow side.

We still look a little brittle at the back but the midfield and up front are the best they have been for a long time. Young back to his best and Dowling who I feel has not been back to fitness since his injury but is now getting there. Barnes is a useful addition and it was nice to see we had a goal threat in Williams and Romain. Well done everyone. :keepie:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

forevertufc wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 17:37 Correct I didn't, but didn't have to, work outside all week around Torquay, Paington and Brixham, know very well how soggy the verges and common land around the bay is, but it's a football pitch, that's had a lot of money spent on it, and now has exellent drainage.

As said there's was little rain in week, what fell was light and not prolonged, the pitch wouldn't have been holding a lot of water, so easily able to cope with last nights down pour. After all, my assumption that the game was never in doubt, as normal, was 100% right :)
I'm glad you were confident, I had to put the washing out in the end and it nearly broke the line as the wind got up.

As to the match, at last we played as a team, that was the difference.

If I can single out one player it was Romain, who ran his socks off and was my MOM. He won balls that weren't his to win, he dispossessed defenders and importantly he held up the ball well. He did this so well that he was there are the start of a flowing move for our third goal when we broke from defence. He was there to take and hold the ball briefly before pushing a lovely pass out on the right to the breaking Dowling who then put a pin point ball at the feet of Efete. He then had the sense to look up and roll the ball across for Young to slam it in. Watch that one on the highlights, it's worth seeing.

Off the bottom and, yes, hope springs eternal.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Solid 2nd half team display. The team gathered confidence in the latter parts of the 1st half which carried over after the the break and the defence finally started playing the ball which brought in the midfield and really opened the game up.

Davis and Efete did well on the flanks and were supported well by Young and Dowling with Barnes standing strong in the holding role.

All credit to Williams and Romain who both were tireless up front and contributed well to the build up play.

A great confidence boost and foundation to build upon going into the next series of games
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

forevertufc wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 17:32 Said last week, Ower's decision to shut up shop and go for the point at Macclesfield will look a good decision, if the team win v Barrow, job done.

Hard to quantify today really, Apologies to our Barrow guests, but today Barrow looked a poor, sorry team, but you can only play against what's in front of you on the day. After a scrappy first half where I believed there was a chance we could go on a win it second half, the team grow in confidence, after the first, we were treated to two very good goals, first individual from Dowling, and the next goal a good team goal.

The only concern, a poor piece of defending from Gowling, the Barrow lads goal side, but going no where, don't foul, and contact and we all know what he's going to do, from that the old nerves set in, and we looked vulnerable.

Thankfully game closed out and 3 points, from a game the team had to win, follow this up with another, and there's just glimmer of hope, nothing more.
I think i may have to revise my thoughts about the Macclesfield point. It could end up being a good point like you say Dave. I was just wanting to see 3 points really as i felt we needed them depserately even allowing for the fact that we were playing top of the league away. So i was harsh, it was a creditable performance and perhaps gave the players encouragement that helped towards today's win.

As for Barrow, there is a lot of concern on their forum about the standard of the team and they aren't happy at all with the performance today as you might expect. They don't rate Torquay much either. Also some speculation about the intentions of their owner with some suspicious that he's going to do a runner and leave them in the brown stuff.

What with Chester, Hartlepool and now concerns at Barrow maybe we will be saved in the end through bad fortune for another club?

Interesting developments at the foot of the NL.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I thought Williams and Romain gave Barrow something to worry about, Romain with his running , harrying,
strength , holding the ball up etc and Williams with his skill and quick thinking and anticipation, he is pretty
quick off the mark over a few yards when he wants to be and can go past people with ease
Young was fantastic as usual and Davis and Efete played very well
Never realised Grant Holt was such a mouthey moron, think Barrow played better when Harrison came on
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

A performance was needed and a performance we got. Best I have seen this season anyway.

Dont need to say much because its already been said, Romain and Dowling stood out for me but everybody put a shift in and we seem to have a half decent spine through the team now. I was more than happy with some of the football at times with our midfield trio trying to play and keep possession, if only a couple at the back just rolled the ball into feet a bit more instead of hoofing, bypassing the playmakers and gifting the ball back to the opposition.

Defence didnt have that much to do until we went 3-0 up and United seemed to take their foot off the gas and invite Barrow on. Some dogged defending when needed, Davis and Efete both performing their defensive duties well and superb bombing forward. Balatoni looks fitter and more composed than a few weeks ago, Dowling composed and provides some assurance to the defence, McGinty very good in the air, shame we gave away a stupid bloody penalty as there were no worries until then.

I like the look of Barnes, like Dowling he looks composed and tries to keep possession or at least pass the ball well, indeed our midfield trio were superb and looked a good unit albeit missing some size they were like terriers at times. Young also had a superb game his workrate was superb and all three in midfield look to play. Indeed some of the passing from them in little spells, especially in the second half was surely something to build on. A few supporters were grizzling for us to get rid of the ball, get it up there quicker or not make a pass backwards but I would rather see the measured, composed, ball on the deck, keep possession, pull the opposition about approach. Indeed this created in opportunities during a wonderful second half spell which at least contributed to one of the goals.

Romain is a joy to watch as a fan of a lower league team, he puts in fantastic workrate,wins balls and creates things for himself or is unselfish and does the hard work to help his team mates, knows where he needs to be, reads the game and shows some skills also. Willliams worked hard I felt and considering some were concerned we had two forwards who may be too similar or neither a target foil, then no need to worry as these two both bring something different. At last we have someone up front who actually looks like a centre forward at least, with a bit more luck today both would have scored.

Not getting carried away but just look at the table, look at the fixture list and there is just a glimmer surely.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well its only a glimmer and only then if you think we can stay up with about 47 pts. We are not going to get 50 thats 8 wins out of 14, 2 draws and 4 defeats or 7 wins 5 draws 2 defeats
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I have a strange feeling this squad could pull off another Great Escape. Don't bet against it.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Maybe it's possible if we avoid injuries but effectively we have to win one game in every two to be in with a shout. It's a fair ask .. but it's conceivable.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

If we could pick up an away win next week against Maidenhead, Back to back wins and more importantly unbeaten in 3 as we head into 2 home games in four days. Who knows. Confidence must be growing for whole team and management. Lets not forget it was only Barrow's second defeat in 6..