Maidenhead v Torquayunited 10/2/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Great result! Still a way to go to catch the pack but the table is looking more promising already. Dag and Red with their recent issues could be there for the taking at Plainmoor! COYY!!!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I thought today was a triumph for keeping one's head and not changing a side that had been on top for most of the game and keeping faith with Williams and Romain who's movement off the ball and endeavour on it creating chances for those moving up behind them such as when Barnes hit his marvellous goal.

There was no need to change them as the game neared it's climax; neither looked heavy legged in comparison to several other players on both sides and were still full of running come the final whistle.....I think too many people call for change through panic rather than common sense and there is much to be said for quietly sitting back and watching a game rather than jumping up and down from one end of the pitch making a lot of noise.

It's the positivity and enthusiasm to get on the front foot from people like Efete, Dowling, Evans, Barnes, Williams and Romain which is making the difference AND Dorel's insistence that his back line keep well forward of him allowing his dominance of the six yard box when balls are fired in.

I don't think the previous management had a clue about these aspects to be honest and the whole shape and rhythm of the side is better now and far better balanced.

Maidenhead couldn't have complained if we had got four or five today such was the dominance of the first half and pure grit and determination of the second when the home team did come a bit more into it.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Now I am getting a bit fed up with you going on about the previous manager. Get over it Merse for f***s sake
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

First double of the season! And thoroughly deserved. Whilst safety is not secured those who wanted Owers out might want to rethink as the balance of this current side is streets ahead of anything we've seen over the past three seasons.
There's no way the Nicholson sides were anything like this current one. These players are playing not only for their own careers but for the management team.
Only those at today's match are qualified for an opinion!!!
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

nickbrod wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:04 First double of the season! And thoroughly deserved. Whilst safety is not secured those who wanted Owers out might want to rethink as the balance of this current side is streets ahead of anything we've seen over the past three seasons.
There's no way the Nicholson sides were anything like this current one. These players are playing not only for their own careers but for the management team.
Only those at today's match are qualified for an opinion!!!
hmm...well I was at Wrexham away and was quite shocked at how bad things were. I'm glad to see results and performances picking up but I'm not sure I can agree we are streets ahead of the last three seasons. At best we stay up and we are about on par as the last three seasons.

Anyway, lets just rejoice in the fact we have another three points and keep the positive vibes going!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Merse, you conveniently forgot to mention Young. He's hit a rich vein of form and it's no coincidence we're getting results on the back of it 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Paignton boy wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 21:48 Now I am getting a bit fed up with you going on about the previous manager. Get over it Merse for f***s sake
If he was any good at his job of managing a football team nobody would be 'going on' about the previous manager because he'd be doing a good enough job to still be here, wouldn't you think ?
But alas he wasn't was he ? 2 & a bit years of struggle under Nico apart from lucking into a few good signings at the end of the 2 seasons of escape & then with an improved budget (apparently) assembled probably the worst squad ever assembled in the name of TUFC .
You need to get over Merse Paignton boy as that worm will not turn.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Not only has the previous manager been dispensed with he hasn't got another job either has he...tells a story!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:05Merse, you conveniently forgot to mention Young. He's hit a rich vein of form and it's no coincidence we're getting results on the back of it 😉
Young had a good game today and moved the ball on simply, quickly and effectively. As the surface deteriorated his task became harder but he stuck to it. Nobody in our side had anything like resembling a poor game today or even an average one.

We travelled back to London with the fourth official; and he told us the referee (who came from Manchester by the way) was worried about the pitch lasting 90 minutes. As we came in by train we saw the officials walking the pitch and there were puddles laying on the goalmouth surface at the end we were attacking in the second half. As we entered the ground those goalmouths were covered and the fourth official told me just walking on it was difficult; so for both teams to put on a game like that is exceptional!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Teigngull wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:18 If he was any good at his job of managing a football team nobody would be 'going on' about the previous manager because he'd be doing a good enough job to still be here, wouldn't you think ?
But alas he wasn't was he ? 2 & a bit years of struggle under Nico apart from lucking into a few good signings at the end of the 2 seasons of escape & then with an improved budget (apparently) assembled probably the worst squad ever assembled in the name of TUFC .
You need to get over Merse Paignton boy as that worm will not turn.
You and Merse both need to wake up. He didn't "luck" into anything after his appointment.

As for the worst squad ever assembled? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY was complaining about the quality of the squad before the season started. How many players has Owers signed that have proved to be duds?

You worms need to give the man credit for performing miracles while being forced to offer £100/week salaries to youngsters with many other 0's in their thoughts. I'm amazed he managed to successfully complete his remit which was to keep us in this League. Owers has been blessed with the means to get us promoted......................
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

merse btpir wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:24 Not only has the previous manager been dispensed with he hasn't got another job either has he...tells a story!
Give it time, he's made the last 3 at a club above us in the table ;-)
Dave

Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

This was a very good win. Scoring another after it went to 1-1 shows the team has the character to dig in and get the win.

Getting 23 from 13 games looks much more doable than getting 30 from 16 games. Although it is still and uphill struggle, if we win 2 of the next 3, I might start to believe it is on.

In the table the team I am looking at is catching is Halifax, who are 7 ahead of us. But the bottom line is, we just need to keep winning games of football!
LankyGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by LankyGull »

fred wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 21:31 Really good day out today. Friendly club, unsegregated proves it can be done at football matches. Their stewards/rules could certainly teach ours a thing or two. Good performance from the team who actually look like a team as last! Great away support.4 points from safety but a few games in hand for those around us. All we can do is keep winning! Gutted if Romain is unavailable next week.
I take it you didn’t see the fist fight that broke out after our second goal in the Maidenhead end? A Torquay fan who was in there getting some friendly stick at 1-1 “who the **** hell are you?” And other chants around those lines. We score, he celebrates then all I see is punches being thrown and people being dragged away by stewards and police. In my opinion while there’s idiots who want to punch one another for supporting and celebrating their team scoring we need segregation, fair enough if Boreham Wood brought their 3 away fans then you wouldn’t bother but we brought 300ish which is a lot more than most other teams take I imagine.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Paignton boy wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 21:48Now I am getting a bit fed up with you going on about the previous manager. Get over it Merse for f***s sake

Were you there? The differing management style was all important yesterday......

United were physically and mentally better conditioned than they ever used to be under Nicholson and Simon Davey; the key was the quicker thinking times and willingness to switch the ball rapidly under pressure from the off. Not playing in a straight lined 4-4-2 as we used to do; nor a flat back four playing right under the keeper's nose but a nice 3-5-2 giving width and numbers in midfield; plenty of room for the keeper to command his box and exerting the pressure using the wing backs pushing forward at every opportunity.

The side looked properly prepared (they had trained on a such pitch and in similar conditions in the week), pro-active and positive and professionally managed from the technical area with Owers pulling the strings and Kuhl standing back and taking in the overall picture. This was like Ebbsfleet and Sutton and what a difference!

My comment about the former management is therefore relevant and far from 'not being over it'.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Have you been invited to Owers for Sunday dinner Merse?? But don't mention the 20 odd poor performances that they have dished up under their management style