Give Hargreaves A Chance

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sunnysideup wrote: Hindsight being a wonderful thing, if we have a chance to sign a striker for next season, someone like one of the following,

C McDonald Gillingham, N Wells Bradford, N Ajose Peterborough, K Lisbie Leyton Orient, C Westcarr Walsall, L Griffiths Wolves, J Hanson Bradford.

should we sign them?

All have got pretty much identical scoring records in League 1 to that of Hawley last season.
Indeed a fair point, however there are some major differences here. With the exception of K.Lisbie at 35, these players are either young at the start of there careers with forward potential, Wells, Ajose, Griffiths, or in their mid to late twenties MacDonald, Hanson,Westcarr . Karl Hawley at 32 is what he is.

Another big difference is consistent goalscoring, Hawley only ever score goals at Carlisle 2004-2007, since then has played 169 games scoring 21 goals(not including the 3 he has for us), in roughly the same period, obviously different number of games, Hanson has scored 100 goals, Griffiths over 60, Westcarr and Cody Mac over 50, Wells has managed over 40 in half the time, the only one similar is Ajose, but to be fair has played a third of the games.

So in answer to your question with the exception of Lisbie should we sign them, yep your darn right we should, any one of these would do.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

tomogull wrote: Er, um ...... Danny Stevens, Kevin Nicholson and Elliott Benyon have won that division as players ?? :-/
You're just getting daft now, in fact just as daft as me.. :) as pointed out Harding has actually got a conference winners medal, but that wasn't an attempt by me to split hairs, my post was purely focusing on Harding, I'm aware we have other players with us who have been promoted from the conference.

If you must, yep, would keep Benyon been successful at conference level with us, could be again who knows. Having watched Luton v Braintree Saturday, both sides were packed full of 6 footers, another reason to keep Harding , and the main reason why despite his experience of this level I wouldn't keep Stevens, as for Nicho, he's a 34 year old slow left back, Nicho knows this himself, AK knew it, and the penny has now dropped with CH, not worth even mentioning to be honest.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Chris Zebroski is out of contract at the end of the season and Newport are planning big changes in the summer so he could be one that may be let go.

Ive mentioned Scott Rendell before out of contract at the end of the season after joining woking on a 6month deal in jan after being released by luton.

Craig Stanley will most likely be let go if they go down this season.

Guy Branston is also a free and we all know about him.

Theres 4 ex gull players that CH will know or know about and may take an interest if we go down. Im not saying we will sign any of them but players to keep an eye on. Will also be interesting to see what Bournemouth players are out of contract this season.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

why would zebroski come here? he's a good player and Newport won't let him go!
The gulls are going up
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Scott Brehaut wrote: The point about League One players "sunny" was trying to make, was that Hawley scored a decent amount of goals last season at a higher level, therefore it stands to reason that he should have had no trouble this season in a lower league - and that if we signed any of those listed, they should have no issues too.
However, as witnessed, Hawley isn't a goal machine at this level and there is, therefore, no guarantee at all that any striker will do the business for us, regardless of which league they were in.
Exactly Scotty. We're not the sort of club thats going to spash out cash on a Le Fondre type player. All we can really do is look at who's available and has a reasonable (ish) scoring record the season before.
Thats why Hawley looked a reasonable bet in the summer.
The fact that, with hindsight now the season is almost finished, he turned out to be a bit of a dud is not something that you can legislate for when you sign someone.
Perhaps all those that are happy to slag off the management for signing Hawley can pop into their time machine, nip forward 12 months, see who's had a good season in the scoring stakes and come back to present day and let us all know who the club needs to buy this summer (that doesnt cost the earth)?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If his retained list is anything other than extremely short, I shall give up (not sure that I haven't already)..!!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Does Hargreaves believe he should include himself and Hodges on that retained list ?

For me the performance level is not what is required/expected of someone "playing for the club".

There have been some interesting comments from him recently :

"My job is to bring through young players" .....BBC Spotlight 17/04/2014 - Then go back to coaching the youth team if that is what you see as your management target.

"I don't look at the league table" ......Radio Devon pre match interview (because of course there was no post match!) 18/04/2014 - perhaps if you had looked at the BLOODY table you would have realised we were in the sh1t much earlier!!!

Not the man for me - wrong choice at the start and remains wrong choice.

I have not seen any evidence that, even with a "promotion budget" this clown has.... a) the ability, b) the insight c) the motivational skills, d) eye for a player, e) an idea of how to set up a team, f) how to use substitutions to change a game to our benefit.... that will be desperately needed to give us any hope in the Conference.

Just using todays debacle as an example of b)/d)/e)/f) - I need convincing that Stevens is a better player than Chappell or even Thompson.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Gloomy, Chris Hargreaves is so far out of his depth it's untrue. Heard a fan shout today, Chapell go back to October and start playing, gord, is there really any wonder why Chapell looks so disinterested , when the manager signs a pint sized waste of space and pus him in the team ahead of our top goalscorer.

You say you love the club Chis, prove it, you know what you need to do.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

a chance? a shocking, relegation bound decision giving him the managers job. and the fact that he thought he was up to it.

stevens on in front of chappel?

do me a favour Hargraves - f**k off back onto spotlight and get another job coaching kids.

thats your level.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

okehampton gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: ALAN WELSH

Post by okehampton gull »

well I am as disappointed as everyone else, I am sure we went with false hope today, thinking Benyon could score , biggest tosser in the league ,, bring on Stevens before chapple , what planet is that useless **** Hargreaves on. and his assistant , he just as well have **** emu (rod hull) there.
I have said since his fourth game in charge , when he made 5 changes every game , he did not have a clue what he was doing .he finally got rid of Nicholson , but kept in benyon , if Ashley yeoman had started as many games as that prick , I would bet anything he would have scored more than 3 ,, yes 3 goals..
for him **** head ,, not to give the radio an interview after the match, just sums him up , he is a big headed **** . get rid of him Thea for christs sake otherwise we are doomed .. how can any manager other than a complete prick keep saying I have not looked at the league table...has anyone ever heard such crap.. he is copping out all the time , slagged off knill when he started , kept talking about going down .
we have got absolutely no chance next year with him in charge ,, Torquay united will be used to blood young Bournemouth players.. please ..please **** off as far as you can , and don't ever go back on t.v. criticising other managers , because you are the worsttt .... clueless , **** clueless
take danny stevens and set up a window cleaning business , at least you can stand on the bottom of the ladder , put a stick up his ass and give him a cloth...
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Speechless.

How on earth can you decide to bring on Stevens ahead of Chappell? Stevens contributed nothing during his appearance yet still managed to convince CH that he was the man to come on.

Why does he persist with Benyon? He has contributed nothing all season and I'm sure he only got a contract off the back of his 2 goals against Bristol Rovers in the last game of last season. Terrible player and very greedy. Twice today he shot when it was better to lay the ball off to others in better positions.

I wonder if he regrets criticising Knill so much during his tenure?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed Gloomy, Chris Hargreaves is so far out of his depth it's untrue. Heard a fan shout today, Chapell go back to October and start playing, gord, is there really any wonder why Chapell looks so disinterested , when the manager signs a pint sized waste of space and pus him in the team ahead of our top goalscorer.

You say you love the club Chis, prove it, you know what you need to do.
It was stated by someone that Chapell could only be used as a last resort as it activates a clause in some agreement with Sheffield United that we would have to pay a fee. To do with appearance money as well. The stewards have not been payed as well money is very tight. :keepie:
Last edited by arcadia on 18 Apr 2014, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I can't believe that people on here tonight are true Torquay fans. Yes I am as disappointed as everyone else to lose at home yet again especially as I was on the road for over 9 hours there and back. However let's look at the facts, we had majority possession. More shots, corners and less fouls. Frankly Dagenham were lucky to have 11 on the pitch by half-time.
We played plenty of attacking football but we can't score at home.The current situation goes back way before Hargreaves joined but why he didn't have a press conference after the game we will no doubt find out.
Why are so many on here such football 'experts' - give the guy a chance. He's hurting just as much as we are.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

nickbrod wrote:I can't believe that people on here tonight are true Torquay fans. Yes I am as disappointed as everyone else to lose at home yet again especially as I was on the road for over 9 hours there and back. However let's look at the facts, we had majority possession. More shots, corners and less fouls. Frankly Dagenham were lucky to have 11 on the pitch by half-time.
We played plenty of attacking football but we can't score at home.The current situation goes back way before Hargreaves joined but why he didn't have a press conference after the game we will no doubt find out.
Why are so many on here such football 'experts' - give the guy a chance. He's hurting just as much as we are.
:goodpost: