Gulls cash problems surprised boss

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Anybody going by the name "Stefano" must have links to Italy and, therefore, the Mafia.

Hence why I often ensure that I've not said too much to upset him, in case I should wake up one morning to find a horses head next to my pillow....
La Camorra sa molto simpatico Scott. Non preoccupa!

E anche mille grazie a Tassi Signora. Era assolutamente corretto! ;-)
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Gulliball wrote:Does anyone know the latest with our training ground? We used to train at the Racecourse, which probably wasn't ideal, but was never heavily criticised by any of our previous managers.
We did have problems with it getting waterlogged fairly regularly. The guys would use astroturf, Plainmoor if possible and sometimes the beach if the tide was out for training.
Hate to think what the racecourse was like after the rain we had this winter.

Mind you, we hadnt spent 250k (or whatever it is) on it, so probably didnt gripe too much because of that....
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

Sunnysideup wrote: We did have problems with it getting waterlogged fairly regularly. The guys would use astroturf, Plainmoor if possible and sometimes the beach if the tide was out for training.
Hate to think what the racecourse was like after the rain we had this winter.

Mind you, we hadnt spent 250k (or whatever it is) on it, so probably didnt gripe too much because of that....
The Racecourse training ground had a considerable amount of money spent on it and the work was overseen by Director Brian Palk.

Drainage channels were installed all across the training area into surrounding ditches and channels and although it was prone to flooding, it also drained away very quickly.

There were also Home & Away changing rooms plus Managers rooms, all with showers and hot water.
It also had portable floodlights run by a large generator, so youth team matches and training sessions could be held 'under lights' ... all stored in a secure container next to the converted changing rooms.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

gullintwoplaces wrote: "Publicly campaigned"? Come off it, he made a few comments whilst he had a job as a media pundit. It seems many on here are determined to lynch CH at a very early stage in his managerial career. Knill has had years to develop as a manager, but still screwed up at Plainmoor. CH has had just three months. Sure he has made mistakes, not least of which was signing Stevens, but he didn't sign the lemons that Knill put on long term contracts.
If Knill was as bad as you suggest, I wonder if he would have had 'years to develop as a manager'? Clubs keep employing him so he must offer something. There are a great many 'football managers' and 'coaches' that spend long periods out of the game. Knill doesn't seem to' which suggests either he was born under lucky sign, or he's actually got more about him than many are prepared to consider.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Fonda wrote: If Knill was as bad as you suggest, I wonder if he would have had 'years to develop as a manager'? Clubs keep employing him so he must offer something. There are a great many 'football managers' and 'coaches' that spend long periods out of the game. Knill doesn't seem to' which suggests either he was born under lucky sign, or he's actually got more about him than many are prepared to consider.
Brian Kidd a prime example a good number 2 but did not have a clue when in the hot seat, Knill is very much the same he had contacts and Wilders using him. :keepie:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Fonda wrote: If Knill was as bad as you suggest, I wonder if he would have had 'years to develop as a manager'? Clubs keep employing him so he must offer something. There are a great many 'football managers' and 'coaches' that spend long periods out of the game. Knill doesn't seem to' which suggests either he was born under lucky sign, or he's actually got more about him than many are prepared to consider.
Yes, you are right. Clubs do keep on employing him. Then they sack him.

When will they learn?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

arcadia wrote: Brian Kidd a prime example a good number 2 but did not have a clue when in the hot seat, Knill is very much the same he had contacts and Wilders using him. :keepie:
Chris Wilder is a very good manager at this level. Who did he go for to help him in a difficult job when he was appointed? Alan Knill. Nobody else from the hundreds of football managers and coaches out of work. Alan Knill. Fonda was absolutely right. Being used for his contacts if you are right suggests he has actually built up those contacts from many years in the professional game. Perhaps Mr Wilder, a very good manager, recognised what he could bring to the table.

Well just a thought! ;-)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

stefano wrote: La Camorra sa molto simpatico Scott. Non preoccupa!

I always understood that inappropriate language would be deleted from the Forum. Ciao !! :na:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

stefano wrote: La Camorra sa molto simpatico Scott. Non preoccupa!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He doesn't know my ex wife!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

stefano wrote: Chris Wilder is a very good manager at this level. Who did he go for to help him in a difficult job when he was appointed? Alan Knill. Nobody else from the hundreds of football managers and coaches out of work. Alan Knill. Fonda was absolutely right. Being used for his contacts if you are right suggests he has actually built up those contacts from many years in the professional game. Perhaps Mr Wilder, a very good manager, recognised what he could bring to the table.

Well just a thought! ;-)
It's more likely, who was available, in a hurry and who is his mate. I'm sure if he went through a thorough recruitment process he could have come up with someone better but he was in a hurry. What is telling, I suppose, is that the available Alan Knill wasn't actually given the manager's job at Northampton. If he was so fantastic, surely that club should have leapt at the chance of taking him.

However, good to see you are finally giving the actual manager of Northampton a bit of credit for his work. I thought - well the impression you give, at least - he was leaving it all to his assistant who was the true mastermind behind Northampton's revival. :O
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: It's more likely, who was available, in a hurry and who is his mate. I'm sure if he went through a thorough recruitment process he could have come up with someone better but he was in a hurry. What is telling, I suppose, is that the available Alan Knill wasn't actually given the manager's job at Northampton. If he was so fantastic, surely that club should have leapt at the chance of taking him.

However, good to see you are finally giving the actual manager of Northampton a bit of credit for his work. I thought - well the impression you give, at least - he was leaving it all to his assistant who was the true mastermind behind Northampton's revival. :O
Don't worry Hector come the end of the season I have put myself in a win win position!

If we get relegated I will say we should never have sacked Mr Knill and that he would have kept us safe;
If we stay up I will say it was with Mr Knill's team (as of course you keep saying yourself when CH notches up another 1-0 defeat).

If Northampton get relegated I will say it was because Mr Wilder didn't give Mr Knill enough authority;
If Northampton stay up I will say it was becvause of Mr Knill and that he has kept them up the same as he did with us last season.

Can't wait! Che sara sara! ;-)
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I said that Knill screwed up at Torquay, demonstrated by the results that he achieved. CH hasn't done much better, but at least he has the excuse of relative inexperience, whereas Knill is very experienced and has no excuse. I was only commenting on how Knill did at Plainmoor, not on whatever qualities he has or may not have. Knill's legacy at Torquay, apart from the poor results, includes a striker that cannot score and a full back that appears unable to defend, both on long term contracts. CH at least is able to say goodbye to Stevens at the end of the season, please God that he does.