Jake Hutchings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Jake Hutchings

Post by chunkygull »

For quite some time there were reports of what a good promising prospect this lad was and he was going to break into the first team etc, but obviously he hasnt had his chance yet.

I havent personally seen him play so was wondering from those that have what is he like. I thought we may have seen him close to the first team by now.

Just read on the Herald website he is on trial at Southend, would it be shame and a missed opportunity if he left?

I am a great believer in giving young players a chance if they are good enough. After Levi Ives being almost fast tracked into the squad I was wondering why it has took so long to bring Hutchings to the fray when people were mentioning him quite a while ago.

I know many feel extreme caution is neccessary when blooding youngsters and playing them, but as the adage goes, surely - "If they're good enough, they're old enough!" Although I do understand that there is no substitute for experience, surely the kids are never going to get anywhere unless they play. I know players such as Jake Hutchings get loaned out and pick up match experience that way, but surely if you keep them after that you are expecting to use them instead of a scenario like having them just waiting around just in case you may use them for 10 minutes to cover an injury then call in a loanee.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Centre back is quite a hard place to break into as the first choice pairing isn't changed that often, unless for injury or suspension. At TUFC in the last few years we've had Ellis/Saah/Downes/Pearce, who have been amongst the better players we've had in that time. It he was a striker, he'd have probably had a chance by now.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Agreed, it probably is the most difficult position to gain any sort of breakthrough, it is not a usual practice to change a centre back pairing if its not neccessary through poor form, injury or suspension. I was just wondering whether this lad is good enough or not, will he break through if the chance arises, will Southend or another club pinch him now and we regret not giving him his chance? :|
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Strange this. Was very highly thought of but not yet pushing foe a first team spot. Why would we not be giving him a chance if a slightly bigger club than us are?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

I will be disapointed if we lose Jake Hutchings.
I have always been impressed when I have seen him play.
He is one of those defenders that always tries to pass the ball out of defence instead of the hoof ball.
I suppose it's up to the manager who sees his players day in and day out.
As a direct comparison with Angus McDonald, C.H. Obviously prefers the more robust style of Mac as against the smoother passing style of Jake.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have only seen him in a pre-season game - and that was last pre-season, not the one just gone - but he struck me as quite slight - not big enough for a centre-back, someone who would perhaps be easily bullied by wily centre-forwards. He seemed more of a full-back build and indeed that is where he played.

Admittedly, it was only a friendly against Tiverton but I didn't see anything that made him stand out and I thought at the time he would probably be in the vein of Halpin, Palmer, Yeoman, Sullivan in terms of just being on the periphery and being loaned out before eventually being released. It is interesting to read he is at Southend and I wonder if he is there, in terms of a 'move up' or because he has been told he has nothing going here.

I remember years ago, Troy Doughlin looked set to be a big talent from our youth scheme, to the extent that he spent time on loan at Celtic and they wanted to sign him but he stayed at Torquay, made a handful of appearances and was released into Midlands non-league football.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

As posted above the position of center half is always the hardest position to break through into, there is not many managers that will break up a center back pairing and there is also not many 18 year old established center backs playing reguarly in the league. From what i have seen jake is starting to fill out physically and from talking to people at the club that was the only aspect holding him back.I think what has been missed is that jake was given a pro contract at 17 as there were various big clubs paying an interest in him but at that age there was no way he would have been ready to cope with the physicality that is needed. The lad is comfortable with the ball at his feet and always looks to pass out from the back which is the way Chris has said that he would like to take the team forward. I know that the lad is rated by Hargreaves and that he has not been told he can leave. I spoke to jake outside the ground today and aparently Southend were interested in him and he played in a trial game for them yesterday and did well and has been asked to come back again. I think it could be more about our youngsters attracting attention from other clubs who have development squads that can give the individual's time to mature and obviously the fees that may come our way.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Well that is good news, if he is talented enough to take the interest of other clubs. Good news that we will either get some revenue from his sale or we get a decent player come through the ranks.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Did he not partake in the pre-season? Short term memory like a sieve me, did we just have the three rotating centre-backs for the friendlies?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

And why hasn't he been played at right-back? The previous posters are correct in their assertion that blooding a youngster at centre-half is always difficult which is why most centre-halves start their careers at full-back or in central midfield.
Given Hutchings' apparent ability to perform as a right-back surely he should be there ahead of Thompson and maybe pushing Tonge for a starting place a la Ives...?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

PhilGull wrote:And why hasn't he been played at right-back? The previous posters are correct in their assertion that blooding a youngster at centre-half is always difficult which is why most centre-halves start their careers at full-back or in central midfield.
Given Hutchings' apparent ability to perform as a right-back surely he should be there ahead of Thompson and maybe pushing Tonge for a starting place a la Ives...?
Not a bad shout, couldnt be much worse surely.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Tonge has had a fairly solid season so far. Better than last year. Perhaps give the guy a break for a while. Playing ok and I am sure it would help his confidence to back him instead of attack him whilst he is doing ok.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Richinns wrote:Tonge has had a fairly solid season so far. Better than last year. Perhaps give the guy a break for a while. Playing ok and I am sure it would help his confidence to back him instead of attack him whilst he is doing ok.
Agreed, was abysmal last year but has been OK this year, doesn't really do anything to get praised but also in my opinion hasn't done anything to deserve criticism.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

OllieGull wrote: Agreed, was abysmal last year but has been OK this year, doesn't really do anything to get praised but also in my opinion hasn't done anything to deserve criticism.
Not being funny, but more or less every fan report of matches so far as I have read them has said Tonge is crap, his defending might be better than previous but his passing and distribution of the ball have been abysmal.

I cant believe our standards and expectations as Torquay supporters have fallen so far that we are happy to accept the likes of Tonge and Cruise at full back. Nothing against them I want them to do well when they play for my team, I hope they prove me wrong. Whats wrong with suggesting or looking at other options though.
mike86
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mike86 »

do Torquay have a reserve/u21 team for the youngsters/fringe players to develop and stay match fit in that stage between u18-first team. I have searched about but can only see a u18s side and nothing after that? also random question is kirtys macenzie still with torquay?