Lincoln City v Torquay United - Conference - 29 August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Lincoln City v Torquay United - Conference - 29 August 2014

Post by KeithMalone »

In the absence of a match thread a mere 20 hours before kick-off I have knocked up the following:

Lincoln away represents the next game for Chris Hargreaves’ team and the yellow army in tow. It’s a long trip, in excess of 250 miles each way but a win is much needed after 3 draws on the spin. However as Grimsby showed across the bank holiday weekend, 3 draws followed by a couple of wins make the league table look a whole lot more desirable.

Last time out in a 3-2 defeat away at Halifax, Lincoln lined up with the following XI:

Townsend
Diagne
Caprice
Newton
Brown
Power (Marshall - 78' )
Bencherif
Nolan (Ledsham - 78' )
Mendy
Tomlinson
Burrow (Kabba - 84' )

The goals came from Bencherif and a Tomlinson penalty. The former was sent off for a second bookable offence during the game and will be missing from the backline of Lincoln for Saturday’s match as a result. Lincoln were level at 2 each when they went down to 10 men with the winning goal coming 15 minutes from the end.

The Imps have added to their ranks today with the loan signing of Delano Sam-Yorke from Cambridge who was also on loan to Lincolnshire club last season scoring 3 goals in 9 games. He appears to be available for Saturday’s encounter although whether he will start having only signed today is questionable

I anticipate Torquay lining up from the following with Harding injured and Bowman suspended:

Rice
Tonge
Downes
MacDonald
Ives/Cruise
Briscoe/Chappell
Richards/Wakefield
Young
Cameron
Ajala/Yeoman/Benyon
O’Achie

Safe journey for all those travelling to the match and fingers crossed a positive result can be achieved by exploiting the fact that Bencherif (who IMO is one of the best defenders in the division) is suspended. COYY!
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Nice work Keith, a decent intro. I cant see us taking all 3 points, so I'll say a 1 1,Luke Young with the goal. COYY!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Betfair are 2.14 Lincoln. This represents a 46.72% chance of the home team winning the game. Red hot favourites but that percentage looks a little high to me therefore I would be laying Lincoln @ 2.16. The only downside is that we appear to be struggling to score goals.
That said I thought we were the better side v Aldershot and that was with a few players missing. Concerns about us scoring maybe but think we might pinch a draw here.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

2-0 to Lincoln.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Always personally been footie mad, even into my 40's would go through he summer longing for the season to start, and would go through the week with that 'when Saturday comes' feeling, right now I'm struggling to get excited about any thing TUFC, stating the obvious we desperately need to go on a run of results, not to bothered about performances, results build confidence, performances follow. So lets hope it begins tomorrow, but some how doubt it.

As for the team, feel a bit more experience is needed here, so Cruise for Ives, although the lad did nothing wrong against the Shots, Ajala for me isn't a striker , so Yoeman up top with big Duane.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Well deserved win. We dominated the game although that was due to the early red card. Lincoln didn't create a chance after the penalty and as soon as we equalised there was only ever going to be one winner. Very impressed by the character and patience of a very young team. I wasn't sure how we'd react after conceding against 10 men but we didn't panic or rush our football. I can't remember the last time we had that much possession. We should have probably won by a larger margin and some fans were unhappy towards the end when we were just playing keep-ball in defence instead of really going for the jugular but I didn't have a problem with that.

The big talking point was obviously the sending off. O'Achie chased a Richards ball over the top and tried to knock it past Brown, who appeared to block it with his hand a few yards outside his own box. The referee didn't give it but the lino flagged furiously and as Brown was last man the ref had to issue a red card. I'm not sure if it was deliberate handball as he didn't have much time to react so will wait for the highlights. As for the penalty, Tonge looked to have been shoved over before Downes committed the foul so thought we should have had a free-kick but we were housed in the opposite end so was tricky to see.

O'Achie was a real handful. His first goal was prodded in at the near post after an excellent cross from Cameron and his second which wrapped up the points was put on a plate by the selfless Young who could have shot himself. O'Achie should have had a hat-trick but missed a sitter with his head just before half-time. Richards' strike was a beauty - hard and low into the corner from 25 yards at a point in the game where we were struggling to break Lincoln down. Ajala also struck the bar and Cameron headed over from close range late doors.

There were a handful of nominees for MOTM. Lincoln's depleted defence couldn't cope with O'Achie or Cameron. Both were superb. Young fantastic again rarely wasted a pass and always seems to find so much time on the ball. MacDonald didn't put a foot wrong at the back but my pick for the bubbly was the tireless Richards. He can do the dirty stuff and loves a tackle but is also composed on the ball and full of beans. He's got a great engine and showed he can strike a ball. As for the others, Rice had nothing to do, Tonge and Cruise did well but weren't tested much. Downes solid apart from conceding another penalty. Wakefield was pushed wide after we went 1-0 down as we switched to 4-4-2 and he looked a bit lost out of position. Briscoe was our most disappointing player and hobbled off with a hamstring injury. Ajala and Chapell were ok when they came in but lacked end product. Yeoman was only on for a few minutes.

Quite excited by the future of this team if we can keep the players together but tough to say how good a performance this was because we played with an extra man for practically the whole match.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

tommyg wrote:O'Achie was a real handful. His first goal was prodded in at the near post after an excellent cross from Cameron and his second which wrapped up the points was put on a plate by the selfless Young who could have shot himself.
Why would Young shoot himself..?? He's got a fine future ahead of him, and...

Oh.. :Oops:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

tommyg wrote:Well deserved win. We dominated the game although that was due to the early red card. Lincoln didn't create a chance after the penalty and as soon as we equalised there was only ever going to be one winner. Very impressed by the character and patience of a very young team. I wasn't sure how we'd react after conceding against 10 men but we didn't panic or rush our football. I can't remember the last time we had that much possession. We should have probably won by a larger margin and some fans were unhappy towards the end when we were just playing keep-ball in defence instead of really going for the jugular but I didn't have a problem with that.

The big talking point was obviously the sending off. O'Achie chased a Richards ball over the top and tried to knock it past Brown, who appeared to block it with his hand a few yards outside his own box. The referee didn't give it but the lino flagged furiously and as Brown was last man the ref had to issue a red card. I'm not sure if it was deliberate handball as he didn't have much time to react so will wait for the highlights. As for the penalty, Tonge looked to have been shoved over before Downes committed the foul so thought we should have had a free-kick but we were housed in the opposite end so was tricky to see.

O'Achie was a real handful. His first goal was prodded in at the near post after an excellent cross from Cameron and his second which wrapped up the points was put on a plate by the selfless Young who could have shot himself. O'Achie should have had a hat-trick but missed a sitter with his head just before half-time. Richards' strike was a beauty - hard and low into the corner from 25 yards at a point in the game where we were struggling to break Lincoln down. Ajala also struck the bar and Cameron headed over from close range late doors.

There were a handful of nominees for MOTM. Lincoln's depleted defence couldn't cope with O'Achie or Cameron. Both were superb. Young fantastic again rarely wasted a pass and always seems to find so much time on the ball. MacDonald didn't put a foot wrong at the back but my pick for the bubbly was the tireless Richards. He can do the dirty stuff and loves a tackle but is also composed on the ball and full of beans. He's got a great engine and showed he can strike a ball. As for the others, Rice had nothing to do, Tonge and Cruise did well but weren't tested much. Downes solid apart from conceding another penalty. Wakefield was pushed wide after we went 1-0 down as we switched to 4-4-2 and he looked a bit lost out of position. Briscoe was our most disappointing player and hobbled off with a hamstring injury. Ajala and Chapell were ok when they came in but lacked end product. Yeoman was only on for a few minutes.

Quite excited by the future of this team if we can keep the players together but tough to say how good a performance this was because we played with an extra man for practically the whole match.
Please do a report for every match you attend. This is superb.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

[quote="tommyg"]Well deserved win.

thanks for an excellant written assessment of the match
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote:
Yes - fully agree :clap:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Fantastic report tommyg !!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i assume the site was down again judging by the complete lack of postings between 3 and 5

superb win, sounds like the red card was the deciding factor, should be a great confidence boost and another clean sheet achieved from open play , downes becoming a regular giver of pens, can anyone see any reason for that?
still keeping the faith
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Anyone know if Torquay will be uploading the highlights to YouTube seeing as Lincoln are only uploading it to their subscription service?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

OllieGull wrote:Anyone know if Torquay will be uploading the highlights to YouTube seeing as Lincoln are only uploading it to their subscription service?
Do you know if it's on there yet Ollie?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Did anyone see AustrianAndy ? He said in an earlier post that he's try to get to this one. I've looked at photos of supporters on another site,but I can't see him there.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066