Looking back to see whats ahead

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Looking back to see whats ahead

Post by Glostergull »

So I am sitting up in bed. Bored still and wondering what to do with my time.
Illness does odd things to you at times. And boredom sets in quite easily these days. So I took out my laptop and trawled through all sorts of things. I have a ready menu of things to look at first. Mail then social media such that I have. And finally all things related to Torquay United.

I don't know what made me look it up yet again. But harking back to the start of this new millennium I saw Barnet v Torquay United.
Now most will remember this match for the huge significance it had for our future. Now we already know what happens when you drop down. It's not the end of the world but it sure seems like it sometimes.

Having watched the match several times on You Tube I looked up statistics trying to see who was playing and what they do now. How they had fared?
I saw the Third division table of that day and Saw that Brighton were top.
So I wondered. Where have all the teams been that were in our division on the day.

Out of the 24 who took part. 3 have been in the Premier League since, One team came very close to being in the premier league losing out twice in two of the last three years play off finals. Brighton and Hove Albion.
Hull. Cardiff and Blackpool having brief sojourns with the top flight.
Conversely all of the bottom twelve teams in the division that day have been relegated out of the league altogether. With 2 going out of business altogether, Darlington and Halifax. Both have reformed, and Halifax reforming under the new name of FC Halifax entered the Northern Premier League Division one, while Darlington’s long much publicised Fight with the authorities over the construction of their huge white elephant at the Darlington arena lumbered on as huge debts mounted and locals didn't exactly warm to the idea of the dodgy businessman trying to make the club a vision of his own dream.

So what does this table tell us about where we stand within the pyramid and our own social standing among the Fans class strata.

The very fact that on that day all the top of the table have not had any clubs fall out of the league while the whole bottom of the league have been in the Conference at one time or another says there is dwindling hope for smaller teams in the league. It's in my opinion becoming a microcosm of the Premier league in money filtering down from the top is nowhere near what the Premier league vacuum up as they assert themselves as the self styled master of football much to the consternation of fans outside their rarefied atmosphere.

Rochdale have had a decent run with 3 playoff positions and two promotions sandwiching a relegation. They currently lie 11th in league one, having thumped Walsall 4-0.

Southend have been promoted and relegated but events off field have hampered their progress and having sold off Roots hall to developers for £4 million to pay off debts their planned move to Fossetts Farm have repeatedly stalled. Incidentally. Did you know that their own training ground is Boots and Laces.

Scunthorpe have arguable achieved their bast period in their history gaining promotion to the Championship twice and even managing to stay in the Championship. The only time in their history they have managed to stay in the second teir two seasons running. They have earned themselves some £6 million plus for selling 3 strikers. Who have arguably a not exactly huge reputation for scoring goals. But hey. What do I know.

They currently lie surprisingly 4th from bottom of the league one. 3rd teir of football. But seem to have a reasonably solid base.

Cheltenham town are not so recent newcomers to the league and can boast that they have done reasonably well maintaining their position and even having had two promotions to league one in their CV. But their main problem is falling attendances which threaten to undermine their league status. At least thats what they keep telling everyone.

We all know Plymouth’s history. Many on here gaining pleasure from seeing their fall from grace. Even to the extent of risking their entire league career. But they look to have arrested this fall at present.(the rest of the season will tell all).

Orient are a club who in the early part of the new millennium looked as if mediocrity would see them fall down the league. But a change in fortunes saw them promoted to league one to see them enjoy they best period since their heady days in division one in the 60's. They had been in the second tier for most of that period but their fall from the 3rd tier coincided with the Rwandan civil war, which saw the chairman's coffee business in that country collapse. They have not returned to the top areas of football since. Although they do have two claims to fame for fastest goals score. One at a Wembley/Millennium stadium play off final when Chris Tate scored after just 27 seconds which I believe may still be the fastest goal scored in the play-off finals at either The Millennium or Wembley. The other which remains Orients fastest ever goal scored by Lee Steele after only 12 seconds in a league match against Oxford.
Hartlepool have fared less well but in the other hand have not been particularly troubled by relegation from the league. They had a brief flirtation with the play-offs and indeed enjoyed promotion to league one enjoying
a relative period of success but hardly set the football work alight. They were relegated back to league two where they have remained since. Even enjoying (well we seem to enjoy it to a fashion) flirting with the dreaded double relegation spots at the foot of the league. But seem reasonably solid enough for most to expect them to at least stay in the league even if they won't be making a name for themselves.
Incidentally this club is registered in the British Virgin Islands which enables them to enjoy a lot of Tax free income. Indeed certain players can come in without paying tax. Do we know of any other club in the league which does this.Id it indeed one area we should have investigated some years back.

Chesterfield are one club who seem to have managed some success for a small club but under a cloud. Former Chairman Brown was ousted amid allegations of fraud after Chester City reported Chesterfield for refusing to pay the fee for Luke Becket on transfer. Brown was later charged with and convicted of fraud with a sentence of 4 year prison. Chesterfield have since Moved to a new stadium amid anger from fans of other clubs over their building their new stadium and failing to pay creditors. A charge many brought on Plymouth for their administration.
Given that their Chairman is Dave Allen, maybe it is comic to suggest that the local council should write off debts because of perceived success and income the football club has brought to the town. They seem to think they are a special case and deserve recognition that other business's do not enjoy for the success they brought to Chesterfield.

This seems to have been a period where administration has featured in the league far more than before and has affected clubs, forcing many to fold or suffer relegation.

Of the other three club Cardiff, Blackpool and Hull. Well we are not deaf and blind. We all know they have had success at the top, gaining promotion to the Premier league and falling out of it as well. But in the process of earning such sums of money such as I could not even print a season myself given a free press. Whether it is morally right or not is not for this post. It's just an unpalatable fact. It hoovers up nearly all the cash in football. Corruption is rife and the small teams suffer.

But facts are fact . Of the teams In division three that season. Most have seen life from the far less rosier side of the league pyramid. Some have seen relative success and three have seen life at the top. I wonder what the league table will look in a few years time if I take another look back.

Having looked back at the clubs who did suffer the drop. Finance seems to be the overall factor. Looking at the common denominators of the period. Squeezed finances have contributed to nearly all falls from grace. Indeed it also encourages those that enjoyed a considerable injection of cash. I.e. Crawley. Stevenage. Fleetwood. Newport. Morecambe. Burton And Forest Green. (yes I know FGR are not in the league but they are way smaller than any of the other teams mentioned and I would not put money on them not achieving it in the next few years providing their benefactor doesn't pull out for one reason or another. Heaven help the residents there. Where will we be and where will these newcomers be in 15 years time. Will the political climate or financial climate change to make the league map considerably more different then. We will have to see. I for one predict that at least one really big club will go out of existence. One will fall considerably from grace and many new ones will emerge from the wilderness, indeed I also predict that one or two of the new sugar daddies will also get their comeuppance as either reality bites or they get found out as being of dubious character.

So where will Torquay be in 15 years time. Will the realities of today's financial climate tell on us as a club. Will many new clubs emerge which will overtake us and prevent out resurgence. Will be climb back in to the league at the first attempt.(a huge achievement if we do.) and if we do will be go on to establish ourselves or even go on to promotion to gain a more permanent spot. Will be again be comparing ourselves with our Near Neighbors up or down the road. Rovers being the rich relation but us being in the league possibly where they may not. Exeter dropping out as well. Which does look likely to be honest. Will we have a chance to earn decent sums of money from our academy with players gracing our 1st team or will they be poached by bigger teams before we have the chance to see some form of profitabilty on the field from them, Times are a changing and I do wonder what the next few years will bring. We will all have to wait and see won't we. I will dig this item out in few years time though if only to see how close I was to what I have written. One thing I am sure of at the moment. The way the league is structured at the moment and the rules governing financial fair play show that survival for many will be untenable.

Oh and one minor note. This was an intelligent article as well though out as it was possible to be. yes it was longish but makes sense. well it does to me. unlike many of Andys. so if you don't like it. Then just pass it by and conclude it aint for you. dont be silly billies and start throwing toys out the pram. And as I have reletivley few options of getting down to Plainmoors luana luana Vananarama banananrama stadium. I have to have something to do while housebound surely..And apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors. Matt pleazse take note.

In the meantime. I wll keep on cheering the team. attending where it is possible and giving my hard won cash to the club. I will indeed enjoy these days as we climb up the league hoping upon hope we can sustain this without loss of players due to injury/ Suspension/Tranfers or just plain abduction by aliens. I will lift my heart at the sound of every goal scored and the sound of the pop side celebrating. and I will be proud of my team whatever.
Last edited by Glostergull on 18 Sep 2014, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

That was interesting Glos and it is appreciated. I'm unwell myself at present to the extent that I can hardly think clearly (though I've been told I'm like that even when I'm not ill); it would be nice to think it's the cider's fault but I've not consumed that much..!! :(
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well written article Glos very enjoyable. Thanks a lot.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

That's a hell of a post, Gloster, and lots to think about. Trouble is, when you dig it out again in 15 years time, I shall be ....... even bliddy older than I am now !! I will try to be still around but can't guarantee it.

What I will say is I've been supporting Torquay Utd since my ol' man first took me to Plainmoor in the mid 1950's and sat me on the perimeter fence on the Pop side with all the other young lads (no health & safety then !). I likewise inflicted Torquay Utd on my two lads and daughter. One son has moved away but still looks for Torquay's results each Saturday and the other son, although living in Exeter now, comes to most matches. And now my grandson has caught the 'bug'. The point of all this is that over all this time, I have seen the ups (primarily O'Farrell's, Knowles and Rosenior's teams) and the downs (especially Webb's, Roberts and Knills times) but we still survive and I think we're just seeing the start of another 'up' time. In 15 years time, I'm sure there will still be a Torquay Utd. Whether it's an 'up' time or a 'down' time, remains to be seen. Best wishes - hope it will soon be an 'up' time for you to be out of your sick bed. :-D
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Interesting stuff. I know every supporter will say this about their team but there is something special about Torquay. Maybe it is that it survives despite everything stacked against it. But being part of the crowd on Tuesday in the way it got behind the team in those climactic final minutes, did seem special; another Plainmoor moment. It's just that sometimes you have to wait a while for them to come along.
TUST number 080