Gilbert the angry gull?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Gilbert the angry gull?

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Can anyone shed any light on the clash of Gilbert and a few people in the middle
Of the popside?

Something happened mid 2nd half and at full time it was all a bit unsavoury with Gilbert egging on the 'lovely' popside lot who were giving a lot of abuse back
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
KingsteigntonYellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by KingsteigntonYellow »

Wasn't at the match as I was out of town, but I read on Facebook (totally a legit source) that Gilbert was criticising the absence of a drummer from the section of the popside where the drummer normally resides. Some explietives were used, I assume it was after Grimsby went 3 up or before we equalised. Poor on both sides for what I consider a family club.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Alexgulls should be able to shed some light on this, I stand the other side of the steps by the fanatics flag, and saw gilbert come and stand there.

I do not know who started what, but one fan did something to gilbert ( not whether he hit the costume) don't know whether it was meant as a joke a few seem to find it funny, whoever gilbert is did come over and seem to goad those fans, I thought again it was all banter, but reading facebook maybe not.

On a side note there is an accusation that one of our stewards punched a Grimsby fan, this accusation I believe is going to be pursued by the fan and their traveling supporters, the fan was ejected from the ground, but soon allowed to return , makes me think he has a case.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Let GILBERT rock'n'roll!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Whoever Gilbert the Gull is, he should be out of a job! What happened yesterday was absolutely disgraceful, thinking that his job is around the kids is an abomination.

Around five minutes after Grimsby scored their third, Gilbert came over to us and shouted "where's the drummer!?" We all thought he was having a laugh, but then he called us a bunch of "c***s and c**ks" and after a few words exchanged he waddled off back to the Family Stand. At the end of the game, Gilbert came over again and in front of us on the pitch, he gave the "come on then" body language towards us and wouldn't stop until hiding behind the stewards and again waddling off as we moved towards the exits.

I (and many others) complained to the stewards about this and I personally spoke to Andrew Candy about this issue and he will be having a word. We have the worst mascot in football.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

4 simple, yet vitally important, rules for mascots to follow:

1. A mascot never speaks.
2. A mascot never speaks!
3. A mascot never takes off its head.
4. A MASCOT NEVER SPEAKS!!!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

So Gilbert, after no provocation or incitement, started calling a set of our fans "c@#$s"?

Hmmmm.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

I didn't even hear about this till I saw this on here. I stand at number 7. Thought he was a nice chap (there's more than one Gilbert apparently) I also sold him the blue jumper he has worn at FT in a few matches but he should never say anything like that to the fans if this is true.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

In this case provocation doesn't come into it, as the mascot who ever is inside that costume is officially representing TUFC, there are ways and means of dealing with things.

As said above I thought it was banter, however it clearly was not, the mascot was, and no doubt about it offering fans on to the pitch for a fight, what would have happened to the club if 10 or more decided to take up the mascots offer and jumped over the wall and on to the pitch, now that's worth a hmmm as their would have been some fine to pay.
Formerly known as forevertufc
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I'm not defending his actions, didn't even see or hear of the incident, but something must have sparked his reaction however wrong it was. It's being made out he just came down and started giving abuse. Surely that can't be correct?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

DevonYellow wrote:So Gilbert, after no provocation or incitement, started calling a set of our fans "c@#$s"?

Hmmmm.
Sounds likely, doesn't it...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

I was Stood a few steps down from where gilbert came over, just seemed like banter to me? I presumed the lads where mates with who is in the costume? I didn't see the incedent at the end of the game as I decided to leave sharp on the full time whistle.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I wasn't at the game. But - hooray! - at last a GILBERT doing something outrageous. For the past few years the incumbent has wandered out ten minutes before kick-off, done a desultory circuit of the pitch - and then vanished , never to be seen again. So let him rock'n'roll! Let him explode, let him fly, let him stand on his head, let him throw things at the away fans, anything but the usual boring stuff.
On the reality front, it seems as though Gilbert knew the characters he stood in front of (the Spotty Mob?) and they knew him.
So let's get down from our high horses for a second. 'Report him to Mr. Candy!' What a creepy thing to say.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

I can see how it looked like banter

Although at the end the way that section of people were speaking to the steward it sounds like abuse was exchanged on both sides.

Something that's so ridiculous it could only happen at a TUFC game!

On a side note, did the drummer disappear in the 2nd half? I could hear it in the 1st but unsure in the 2nd
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066