Rice to be dropped

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Should Rice be dropped for the Aldershot match

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 55

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

From the highlights of the game, Downes looked almost as much at fault for the 2nd, a simple enough ball caught him out, the defence were absolutely miles apart, the striker is goalside of Downes, Rice rushes out leaving an empty net, if he had stayed on his line Downes may have been able to nip around and shepherd the striker out a bit wider. What concerned me about the goal was how easily we were split open and the defence so wide apart. :-o

3rd goal, only judging by how it looked on the clip, no way was that ball over the line! Maybe a little, but definitely not all, you only have to see where Rices body is. :no:

Rice was a cheap option in goal, if that is all we can afford then fair enough, I would give him a couple more games and hope he can regain his confidence, if not and he makes a couple of howlers then that must be the end of the road for him. Hopefully we are in a position where we can juggle things around to get a keeper in. Is the midfield lad we have on loan costing us any wages, if so can we get a keeper in when his loan expires.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

chunkygull wrote:From the highlights of the game, Downes looked almost as much at fault for the 2nd, a simple enough ball caught him out, the defence were absolutely miles apart, the striker is goalside of Downes, Rice rushes out leaving an empty net.
That's how I saw it as well. Nonsensical according to brucie, though.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

brucie wrote:If Rice is picked again on Saturday then really we have lost all credibility.

Glostergull - what planet are you actually on (because it isn't Earth thats for sure).

It would be fairly obvious to anyone that wasn't completely retarded that it was a keyboard slip, I meant that Rice had COST us points. Blaming Downes is just complete lunacy. He got sent off in the ninety second minute at Telford. The FACT is that we went into that match on a great unbeaten run.

The run came to an end due to one person only - Captain Cock Up the Keeper. Watch the highlights again. You won't find three cheaper goals than the three that Rice let in. No wonder Downes kicked somebody at the end of the game - it was probably down to sheer frustration with Rice.

In fact Downes kicked the wrong the bloke. Pity he didn't kick Rice instead. Better still he should have broken both his legs. We would probably have a few more points by now.
I'm more on this planet than you are Brucie. Although you may be correct in the keyboard slip. what you failed to address was the fact and I deal in facts not your worthless opion is that you stated quite catagoricaly that M R Had cost us points in the last 6 games. when in fact one of those games he had gained us points by keeping a clean sheet. I do at least manage to get my facts correct. I dont know what job you do. But i would be keen to come and constantly slate you for sloppy work. incorrect grammar and spelling and insulting Nay Outright sexism on a forum which in this day and age is so well out o order I would suggest you are not only on the wrong planet but in the wrong time. Sort your manners out sir or some os us will be looking to have you banned. if Matt can suffer that fate. then you can also.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't actually see that anything you suggest regarding Rice will make the slightest bit of difference. To suggest that singing things to him is going to improve his form still strikes me as quite frankly ridiculous. Sorry but thats the truth of the matter.
The way to address the matter is to replace him either one way or the other. Whilst I wouldn't condone abusing him a match is it really too surprising that this happened on saturday. If you look at the two goals that we scored the Grimsby keeper didn't have a prayer. For two of the three goals he is completely at fault again. As per the Telford match simple mathmatics will show that had Rice not let in FIVE sitters in thos two games then we would have won two more games and be sitting pretty.
So its probably unsurprisng that Rice has got some stick - thats another reason why dropping him is the only option.
Or perhaps we should still keep playing him because he is your facebook friend - I am sorry but what you are saying is completely daft.
He might be the best bloke in the world but unfortunately he is a completely crap goalkeeper. The test really is if wasn't at Torquay would he be playing at League 2 or Conference level with another club?
I guess that the answer is almost certainly no - the reason being that noone else at this level would have him.
He would be at Truro,Dorchester,Bideford or Willand Rovers. Lets not dress it up - thats his level.
RJC - thanks for your input but I havn't got any pm's thank you very much.
Anyway got to go - its time to let my partner in the house, its bloody cold and windy outside. She has been polishing the car and i've told her that she can leave the alloy wheels till tomorrow.
Anyway there is still the floor to be mopped and the washing up to finish.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Glostergull - do you think that being banned from this forum is going to worry myself, Fl or anyone else for that matter. Rice hasn't won us any points over the last half dozen games - but he has lost us plenty. Thats the cold hard truth, no more,no less.
I am not going to get in arguement with you as I know you are ill so I will wish you a very good night.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

And there we have it. Itch scratched.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Rjc70 wrote: That's how I saw it as well. Nonsensical according to brucie, though.
Hmm. Just watch it again and ignore rice running off his line and ask yourself whether, with a GK standing in goal, it would be possible to score from there whilst approaching the ball from that angle. I would say not.

Downes is a bit slow, we all know that, but he wasn't completely beaten, and if rice had stayed at home the forward would have had to take a touch allowing downes to be on top of him.

Rice, unfortunately, has never been able to make effective decisions about coming off his line. We saw that in his first spell, last season and this season. Just never been good enough.

On sat I was giving rice benefit of doubt about third, as I thought he may have made a relatively decent save a little late meaning it was over the line when he saved it. From the video it's clear he carries it over the line though. Again, just not good enough.

Unfortunately a crap keeper leads not only to their own errors, but errors from the defence who have no faith or trust I'm their GK. You can see how everyone's heads drop when he makes these errors.

We must win on sat, whoever's in goal, as it's the only way we'll be able to afford a replacement!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

I think Downes could and should have stuck it into row z. His dithering was largely down to a combination of slowness and Rice doing what he did.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

brucie wrote:Glostergull - do you think that being banned from this forum is going to worry myself, Fl or anyone else for that matter. Rice hasn't won us any points over the last half dozen games - but he has lost us plenty. Thats the cold hard truth, no more,no less.
I am not going to get in arguement with you as I know you are ill so I will wish you a very good night.
No It is definatly not cold hard truth.
When are you going to admit that playing and keeping a clean sheet in a 2-0 win is not only not losing us points but gaining us points is cold hard truth. I assume you think that black is actually white.. In which case I think i have better see if Mr Branson will sell me a cheap ticket so I am visit the Clangers. They talk more sense and I can reason with them., Besides I have run out of soup!

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Like most people have voted, I would tend to support the argument that Rice needs a rest, at least. However, like many others have pointed out, it just may be that there is no other option - although if that is the case, then just what is the point of Jordan Seabright? However, whoever plays, will play better if they have the backing and encouragement of the supporters. This argument has be done to death now and it is a couple of days before a cup game and if Rice is to be picked then he doesn't want to enter the game in a frame of mind knowing that everyone is just waiting to pounce on his mistakes.

I will admit that I have long been concerned about having him as first choice and indeed, he has made some shocking errors lately but he will know that better than anyone else and doesn't need to read it on here, almost a week later. If he is picked, I hope he isn't barracked and fans get behind him.

How much better will he feel if the fans behind the goal he is defending give him some encouragement when he goes to his goal than he is probably feeling now? I guess he knows his place is on the line, so let's hope he gives a performance that justifies him keeping it. Good luck to the bloke!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

hector wrote:Like most people have voted, I would tend to support the argument that Rice needs a rest, at least. However, like many others have pointed out, it just may be that there is no other option - although if that is the case, then just what is the point of Jordan Seabright? However, whoever plays, will play better if they have the backing and encouragement of the supporters. This argument has be done to death now and it is a couple of days before a cup game and if Rice is to be picked then he doesn't want to enter the game in a frame of mind knowing that everyone is just waiting to pounce on his mistakes.

I will admit that I have long been concerned about having him as first choice and indeed, he has made some shocking errors lately but he will know that better than anyone else and doesn't need to read it on here, almost a week later. If he is picked, I hope he isn't barracked and fans get behind him.

How much better will he feel if the fans behind the goal he is defending give him some encouragement when he goes to his goal than he is probably feeling now? I guess he knows his place is on the line, so let's hope he gives a performance that justifies him keeping it. Good luck to the bloke!
:goodpost: :) :scarf:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

it is a maybe that a keeper needs a rest sometimes. But usually a team has a good worthwhile replacement in a second keeper to keep the no 1 on his toes. In rices case, last year he had a good year cos he had Pokey on his back and could lose his spot. This year he has no such option. I bet if you ask any keeper in any team. they will all say they want the competition to help them keep sharp.
Maybe we should look to ge in a good no 2 to provide this. Can't be any harm in it. there must be some contingency fund for half a season loan. I doubt even Big Nev would have played so well had he not had anyone pushing him. No player can be as good as he can be unless he has something pushing him. in fact no one can reach their full potential unless they are pushed. even Gilbert !

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Glostergull wrote:it is a maybe that a keeper needs a rest sometimes. But usually a team has a good worthwhile replacement in a second keeper to keep the no 1 on his toes. In rices case, last year he had a good year cos he had Pokey on his back and could lose his spot. This year he has no such option. I bet if you ask any keeper in any team. they will all say they want the competition to help them keep sharp.
Maybe we should look to ge in a good no 2 to provide this. Can't be any harm in it. there must be some contingency fund for half a season loan. I doubt even Big Nev would have played so well had he not had anyone pushing him. No player can be as good as he can be unless he has something pushing him. in fact no one can reach their full potential unless they are pushed. even Gilbert !
All keepers make mistakes but all keepers don't recover from them and Rice did the same thing a couple of seasons ago when he stuck to his line instead of coming out for the ball. He needs a rest to recover but a good save and new gloves may restore his confidence it did for me. I wish him the best
of luck as I want the team to do well. :keepie: