Should League Two and the Conference be re-organised?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

1. Merge the two leagues and split on a regional basis, with 2 up 2 down promotion/relegation for each region
17%
2. Retain current national leagues but with 3 up 3 down between League Two and Conference
48%
3. Retain current national leagues but with 4 up 4 down between League Two and Conference
17%
4. Retain current national leagues with the existing promotion/relegation system
17%

Total votes: 29

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The Lincoln City chairman thinks so: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-29688590

There are a number of arguments for and against.

Regional lower leagues replacing the Conference and League Two would certainly save on travel expenses for a club such as Torquay.

On the other hand, keeping both leagues as national leagues would keep all the clubs in the national spotlight, which would be more advantageous for those clubs in League Two, including us when we eventually win promotion.

And I'm not sure that clubs relegated from League One would relish visiting some of the tin-pot semi-pro non-league grounds.

What do you think?
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Personally speaking, given the cost of travel, I think it makes financial sense. However, wherever we travel to is still going to cost more than pretty much every other team so wouldnt save a great deal in the scheme of things. A diagonal line higher in the west and lower in the east (something like southend to shrewsbury) would be the best we could hope for but would still leave some 5 and 6 hour journeys.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

how about f**k off.

the problem re financing trips oooop north could be made more viable if lower league teams - L1, L2, Conf - received more funding.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I guess it would never happen because essentially the League 2 teams would feel like they had been relegated if they suddenly had to face Dover or Telford, whilst it might seem like an unfair promotion for the non-league teams to be a step closer to the top flight without having had to earn it. I voted for 4 up/4 down so that promotion was not so difficult to attain.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I have long contested that it won't be that long before Conference Premier becomes effectivly Division 5 Or league 3 or league 2 south and North.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Would we be asking this question if we were mid table in L2?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

3 up, 3 down seems fair. :)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

What about league 1 north and South instead, like the good old days?
KingsteigntonYellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by KingsteigntonYellow »

I think the current system is there for purpose, it ensures the clubs going up have the financial backbone to survive league football. It may be harsh but it is necessary, makes promotion all that much sweeter too I suppose.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I have voted for three up, three down - essentially making it League Three.
I don't think regionalising League Two/Conference would actually make financial sense. For all the money clubs save in travel costs they will lose in reduced sponsorship monies and lower gate receipts. I just can't see how a regional league involving teams like Dover or Forest Green will attract the same money from sponsors or interest from fans.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

KingsteigntonYellow wrote:I think the current system is there for purpose, it ensures the clubs going up have the financial backbone to survive league football. It may be harsh but it is necessary, makes promotion all that much sweeter too I suppose.
I think this was the case twenty years ago when it was one up, one down and the majority of the clubs in conference level football were part time. Given that a large portion are now pro and the status of part time clubs have improved, I think it's time to revise the situation.

Four up and down seems too many, and I don't think regionalisation would have a positive impact, therefore 3 up makes most sense.

However I think all changes have to be voted in by league clubs (75% in favour seems to stand out?!), and I can't see a situation where these changes would get voted in.