Are Barnet running away with it?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Are Barnet running away with it?

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Another win last night-12 points ahead of us already,scoring goals for fun,consistent,very good strikers and decent squad.
Look far and away the best team in the division.Early days still but is the automatic spot already sorted! :-/
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Interestingly only a crowd of just over 1,000 there last night
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Early days yet but when we win our two games in hand and get the double over them next month, the 12 point gap will be closed. Elementary ;-) We will have a better idea of what they're like when they come to Plainmoor in a few weeks' time. I think we're a bit of a bogey team for Barnet as we usually do well against them so it should be an interesting game.

All I would say in answer to this thread's question is if I was a Barnet fan, I'd be ecstatic at present. Who is their manager by the way? I know Mr Davids is no longer on the scene.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Martin Allen !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Wait until they hit a run of poor form; all teams suffer this during a season. In fact they've won only three of their last six games, lost one, and drawn two. And they've played more games than the rest of us. Our own form will pick up again, and we'll definitely be challenging other teams, including the Bees, at the end of the season.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

A friend of mine is a Barnet fan and I'm getting a bit bored of the facebook statuses. If I hear one more time about how well they're doing, I may have to delete him! I'm very tempted to go to the game in November and if we win, I'll rip it out of him! If we lose, of course, I'll shut up and hide in a dark corner.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

On paper and form Barnet look like the team to beat and most likely to runaway with the league. It's too early to tell though, I think after Christmas will give a clearer indication of where everyone stands, everyone will have played over half their games and the strength of squads will come into play.

I don't see us having enough to challenge for top spot. We have a good first 11, with a few quality players for this level, but the depth in the squad isn't there for us to maintain a challenge. The situation sort of reminds me of when we were in league two under Ling. Good first team squad which faltered at the end of the season because we had no depth and players were injured (Howe) or running on empty (O'Kane). Playoffs are a realistic target for us this season.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

taxilady wrote:Martin Allen !
Ah yes - of course !! Mad Dog Martin Allen. I should have remembered - thanks taxilady. :-D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

No they are not running away with it. Cambridge at this stage last season were doing the very same then competent goalie(s),strength in depth :nod: Lootown slowly and surely overtook them and built up a Division winning points total.

Meanwhile back at penny-wise, pound-foolish, amateur run Plainmoor . . . . .

:-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Trojan 67 wrote:No they are not running away with it. Cambridge at this stage last season were doing the very same then competent goalie(s),strength in depth :nod: Lootown slowly and surely overtook them and built up a Division winning points total.

Meanwhile back at penny-wise, pound-foolish, amateur run Plainmoor . . . . .

:-/
Still got promoted
Lucy
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Dave Thomas in today's HE questioning why conference allowed Barnet to play on Tuesday when no one else did-unfair advantage gained.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Dave Thomas in today's HE questioning why conference allowed Barnet to play on Tuesday when no one else did-unfair advantage gained.
He has obviously been listening to our manager! I just can't see it. At the end of the season we will have played 46 games and Barnet will have played 46 games. Does it matter when those games are played? It's only a couple of weeks ago there were moans about our young players being knackered because they had to play Tuesday evening games, now there are moans because another team is playing Tuesday evening games and we are not!

Moan moan moan moan moan! ;-)
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

stefano wrote: He has obviously been listening to our manager! I just can't see it. At the end of the season we will have played 46 games and Barnet will have played 46 games. Does it matter when those games are played? It's only a couple of weeks ago there were moans about our young players being knackered because they had to play Tuesday evening games, now there are moans because another team is playing Tuesday evening games and we are not!

Moan moan moan moan moan! ;-)
Unfortunately I do think it matters. Barnet have played more games than everyone else and subsequently because they won them have a large gap on teams chasing them. This then increases the pressure on those teams to win their later games to keep up.

Last season in the Prem Liverpool were consistently playing after their title rivals and it was evident the pressure of playing afterwards got to them.

There also comes the issue over the effects of scheduling on players bodies. I am sure teams would rather have more games early in the season when players will still be relatively fresh, than having a large number towards the end of the campaign when legs and tired and players therefore more likely to pick up an injury, or perform substandard.

It's only minor points, but these can makes a big difference after 46 games.

By clubs playing on the same days it keeps everything more of a level playing field, which is surely the least teams can hope for.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Surely there must be a legitimate reason for playing when others in the division don't-what was the reason Barnet gave for bringing this game forward?