Durrell Berry

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think Dale Tonge has done ok this season. If Berry does sign and for some reason displaces Tonge from the team, then the likelihood is that he will be playing well to keep Tonge out of the side.

If, with an eye on next year, Berry is signed to replace an (allegedly expensive) Tonge, then once again, it makes perfect sense.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Tonge and cruise have been playing at exactly the same level they were last season, but the standard of opposition has (in general) been of a lower standard. As soon as they have played against even remotely decent wide players they have been shown up, and even in other games the signs have been there.

I am not being moronic for suggesting that rice, Tonge and cruise are not good enough. I have said this throughout, from last season and all through this. I am no shouter, I do not abuse any Torquay player from the stands. It is counter productive and achieves nothing. However I am perfectly entitled to come on here and say just that.

To say that our defensive issues have come from places other than full back is true in race's case. Also our defending as a team from set pieces has been a major problem in our poor run. However in general play the centre backs have been generally good and let down by those around them. On Saturday I believed the second Aldershot goal was offside,but if he wasn't the player playing him onside was Tonge on the other side of the pitch who was a good 2 yards behind the rest of his defence. Any football fan will tell you that's number 1 in the 'things not to do when playing full back'. . The previous Saturday the centre backs played well but we're let down by rice and Tonge/Richards for the first goal.

So. If Berry is better I welcome his trial. He is also a young man so could improve (Tonge will not) and is likely to be half the price of Tonge.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

bobby93 wrote: Do you mean "Think's he's better than he is"?

Um...maybe :Oops:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kit_robin wrote:I am not being moronic for suggesting that rice, Tonge and cruise are not good enough.
Who said you was being moronic ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Kit_robin wrote:Tonge and cruise have been playing at exactly the same level they were last season, but the standard of opposition has (in general) been of a lower standard. As soon as they have played against even remotely decent wide players they have been shown up, and even in other games the signs have been there.

I am not being moronic for suggesting that rice, Tonge and cruise are not good enough. I have said this throughout, from last season and all through this. I am no shouter, I do not abuse any Torquay player from the stands. It is counter productive and achieves nothing. However I am perfectly entitled to come on here and say just that.

To say that our defensive issues have come from places other than full back is true in race's case. Also our defending as a team from set pieces has been a major problem in our poor run. However in general play the centre backs have been generally good and let down by those around them. On Saturday I believed the second Aldershot goal was offside,but if he wasn't the player playing him onside was Tonge on the other side of the pitch who was a good 2 yards behind the rest of his defence. Any football fan will tell you that's number 1 in the 'things not to do when playing full back'. . The previous Saturday the centre backs played well but we're let down by rice and Tonge/Richards for the first goal.

So. If Berry is better I welcome his trial. He is also a young man so could improve (Tonge will not) and is likely to be half the price of Tonge.
I think your comments highlight exactly what myself and Forever were saying in that you are judging Tonge, Cruise and Rice on last season, when they were playing at a higher standard and were not quite good enough. The fact they are now playing at a lower standard may mean they have found a level more suited to their ability, which I think is the case.

From what I have seen this season and having had a look back at some of the recent highlights, I don't know how you can say the problems in the defence have been caused by the full backs. The recent problems have not been the purely at the fault of the full backs, and in a quite a few cases, I would lay the blame at the centre backs. Against Grimsby, Downes is beaten too easily for too easily for the second goal, and the third goal their striker manages to get in between both of our centre backs. I am not criticising them, these things happen, and for the majority of this season they have played well, particularly during our run of clean sheets. I am just highlighting the unfair nature of blaming Tonge and Cruise for the defensive problems.

I will agree that Rice has been poor of late, and I think it's the correct decision to give Seabright a chance by CH. However people were waiting on the forum to have a pop at Ricey the moment he made an error. He could have kept 19 straight clean sheets and then made one howler and certain sections of the support would have crucified him.

My personal opinion on Tonge is that he has been okay at this level. Not fantastic, but I don't think he has played badly, and nor do I think he's been at nay more fault than the rest of the squad. I think we can find a better right back at this level, but Tonge is capable. And whilst he's sat here on a huge contract, unfortunately we are going to have to use him. Had he not been tied up to another year I believe CH would have let him go.

I am probably one of the few who thinks Cruise has something to offer at this level. I felt sorry for him last season. He only played 18 games yet received a lot of abuse, however he was constantly rotated with Nico which gave neither player any confidence, and because of Knill's decision to start the season with only 5 recognised defenders, Cruise was played out of position at right back and centre back early on which was plain to see he was going to struggle at.

I don't think Forever's moronic statement was aimed at you. What I am about to say is not aimed at you either - I disagree with your comments (isn't that what a forum is for?!) but I think the way you have put them across is sensible and reasoned, which unfortunately has not always been the case recently on the forum. Some of the criticism on the here of late, particularly towards Rice, has been vile and disgraceful. Every time Rice plays he gives his all, and none of the errors he made were intentional. I agree he hasn't played well and deserves critique, and as paying fans on the forum I believe supporters are entitled to give that opinion. However I don't believe they should be allowed to get personal in their comments, which is what it has ended up as.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Your spot on leetufc, my moronic statement was not aimed at Kit-robin, in fact it was not aimed at anyone for presenting an opinion, whether I agree with it or not, it was aimed at some over the top criticism and posts bordering on personal abuse, it was also aimed at some, and as said not just this forum who got their knickers in a twist over Luke Young spending his weekend off at Argyle.

Grimsby's first goal in my opinion can not be blamed on Dale Tonge, who incidentally was 4th = with 17 votes on this forums September MOTM poll. I've looked at the video, this is my opinion and of course it could be wrong, but as the ball is initially played forward Downes goes towards the ball and is now out of position, as the balls played in Angus leaves his man (John-Lewis) to cover across into where Downes should be, to late for Dale Tonge at this point, he doesn't have the time to react and John-Lewis scores, a goal clearly the fault of the C/B'S.

I get the same feeling, it's almost like a few have been waiting for a poor run of form to throw out the I told you those three were no good style posts. The full backs can not be blamed for some keeping errors, Martin Rice proved at he end of last season early part of this season he is more than capable at this level, he's lost confidence, not going to get it back quickly having personal abuse slung at him, the full backs and keeper can not be blamed for playing Richards at CB v Alfreton , the fault for our clubs current position lies elsewhere, in fact turn the clock back 18 months.
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

He's a better Leadbitter. He was played out of position last season on the ledt side. I'd like to see him playing for us. Don't forget, Argyle fans pointed out that Luke Young was sometimes incinsistant, look at him now
We'll be back...
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I spoke with a Plymouth fan today - a long-standing fan - who is a pretty shrewd judge of a player. When I mentioned Berry, his immediate response was 'good player!' He went on, however, to say that Berry had been badly advised. It sort of makes sense. Berry turned down a new contract at Plymouth at the end of last season - they wanted to keep him. He had apparently been told, that there would be a queue of League 1 clubs wanting to sign him. Not true is obviously transpired.

My friend the Plymouth fan felt he would be good at League 2 and very good at Conference level. Not so good going forward but great at defending.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

hector wrote:I spoke with a Plymouth fan today - a long-standing fan - who is a pretty shrewd judge of a player. When I mentioned Berry, his immediate response was 'good player!' He went on, however, to say that Berry had been badly advised. It sort of makes sense. Berry turned down a new contract at Plymouth at the end of last season - they wanted to keep him. He had apparently been told, that there would be a queue of League 1 clubs wanting to sign him. Not true is obviously transpired.

My friend the Plymouth fan felt he would be good at League 2 and very good at Conference level. Not so good going forward but great at defending.
Well that's no good. We can't have full-backs defending in the modern game! Whatever next? Goalkeepers staying on their line or strikers 'goal hanging''? No, no, no, this simply will not do! ;-)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/conference

Can't afford him any way, unless he will accept a cheap contract :rules:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Signed on non-contract forms and may be in squad for Kidderminster game.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Magpiegull wrote:Signed on non-contract forms and may be in squad for Kidderminster game.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29851331

So, does this mean that he doesn't get paid? I'm a bit thick and not really sure what this means!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Probably a pay as you play arrangement and no commitment on either side
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That's exactly what it is me old Dutch. If he plays he gets paid (should imagine he will get less if he is an un-used sub) if he doesn't play he gets nothing.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Thanks guys. Makes sense.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com