TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Actually I have re read your post and have concluded that you are genuinely mentally ill.

Have you ever seen Matt Grimes play? Its rumoured that someone is going to pay a million for him in January. Mansell and SInclair (in particular) are a pair of cart horses. Did you actually see how many times Christian Pearce left SInclair sat on his arse yesterday? - it was laughable and he is a centre half.

And we havn't got anything to compare with them. Our best player by a mile is Luke Young and he is way better than either of your central pairing.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Rovers may not be the best team we've played at Plainmoor this season-Woking,Gateshead,Grimsby,even Forest Green all played better,albeit the conditions they played in were far better;but of all of them Rovers are better placed and resourced to go up this season.The Rovers fans have stayed loyal and gates haven't dropped and more importantly their Board is prepared to spend more money in the transfer window-its rumoured that £50,000 is available to buy Blissett.For us Rovers not being in our league next year will be a big loss-who else will fill the away end-our derby on Boxing day will be Forest Green for heavens sake!
We really need a win at Welling now;and if we do we can at least go to Rovers in decent heart-if we lose I really fear a drubbing.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

A Realist wrote:Wtf are you on about? Torquay have scored 13 more goals than them over the season and even most of their own fans admit they are struggling up front. One of their goals yesterday was totally down to rank rotten defending and they missed a hatful of good chances as they seem to do every week. That is the reality and not very difficult to work out. :-/
well spotted.

we are at least worse than rovers for the simple fact they are higher in the league.

oh we've scored 13 more goals than them - well thats great.....

just a pity we conceeded 2 against them yesterday and 15 more than them in total and more than anyone in the top 12.

and rank rotten defending??? as I said before welcome to TUFC.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Brucie,
it is not a debate with you because unlike the rest on this forum you are an complete and utter t--sser and what makes you laughable is you haven't worked out that most of your own fans think the same. You are a very sad man now go f--k yourself. Yes we can both use that language!!!
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

surreygas wrote:I've had a good read of the posts on this thread and thought I'd add my comments. I thought Torquay started off playing the ball around well - better than us - but no penetration. We dug in and got a well taken breakaway goal. After that we started to control the game in atrocious conditions which I think we handled better than Torquay.
In the seond half we dominated as conditions deteriorated and we missed countless chances - this is the reason we have dropped so many points this season.
It is interesting to read the Torquay fans dont rate us - many opposing fans have said the same (not all of them sour grapes). But one key ingredient in the Rovers team that convinces me that we have a good chance of promotion is that we are a fit hardworking team that is well organised. And that may be enough to get us out of this league.

As for Torquay, yes they were poor after the opening period when they played some decent football. Or first goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of them. But, Torquay are on the edge of the playoffs and have beaten some decent teams (inlcuding Barnet) so they must be better than yesterday's performance. I dont think we will get things so easy on New Year's Day and expect Torquay to be a different proposition.

If we can catch Barnet (unlikely I know) I really hope Torquay can get up through the playoffs - friendly club and a nice trip for us Gasheads - as long s its not in the p*ssing rain on Boxing day! Two seasons ago I couldnt get a ticket in the Rovers end and so I went into the Popular Side with three other Gashead mates - although we werent particularly vocal the fans around us new we were Gasheads but welcomed us in their end - its not often you can do that these days.

There have been several comments about the referee yeaterday - I thought he was typical of the conference - plenty of bad decisions but for both teams - Taylor was bundled over in the penalty box which looked like a penalty but Blissett jumped into a Torquay player with his arms up and I feared the worst - I've seen penalties given for less and players sent off for similar offences. We've had some shocking decisions given in our games this season but after the earlier games in the season when we had some very dubious decisions given against us, we have had some very dodgy decisions given in our favour lately. I guess we just have to accept that the referees are officiating in the Conference for a reason - they arent good enough to be in charge of league games!

Anyway, at the end of the day, I thought the Gas were worthy of a win even if it does worry me when we miss so many chances - this could cost us promotion.

Happy New Year to my fellow football fans from Torquay and good luck for the rest of the season after Jan 1! It would be a cracking day out to meet you again at Wembley in May!
Well said mate and a fairly accurate summation.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSfPdg-kIY

Some of the highlights but it doesn't show a fair few of their chances.
Last edited by A Realist on 27 Dec 2014, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Well having read these posts from you all, here goes mine, we were 2nd best all over the pitch, defence was woeful seabright had no protection from our defenders, midfield was over run except for luke, richards was woeful, it was the worst ive seen ajala play, rovers should have scored a hatful but the finishing was poor, as for our forwards i dont think they had anything to feed off and had to look for scraps,
we even made mansell look good, im afraid to say that freindly gas is correct as is up the gas, throughley deserved win, saying that i was gutted when benyon had his goal dissallowed so would like to see it again, the lino had a poor game on the popside and that decision may well sum him up if he got it wrong, maybe he should be demoted to running the line for south devon league games. :red:
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

ROADRUNNER,
Have just seen the video of the goal and it is very difficult to judge whether the scorer is offide. It looks likely he was as just before he was in front of our last defender as he would have had to move out from being offside and then swivelled and gone back in in the short time that the ball was cleared and then came back in. Personally I used to prefer it when the linesmen put their flag up as soon as the ball was kicked rather than having to wait and see if the player interferes.
Years ago i used to think that the offside rules couldn't be made any worse but I take that back!!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If you have seen the video of the goal it is impossible to say whether he is offside or not. As I said I didn't really see whether he was offside (although I was dead in line with it)
Typically though you say he was offside even though you cannot possibly judge.
Whatever it was a really close decision which as normal goes against us.
What I don't understand is that why the linesman didn't raise his flag as soon as Benyon went towards the ball.
As I say I was in line the players had run around celebrating - I was celebrating and the linesman had still not raised his flag. It took him an age to do so. Just couldn't believe it when he finally put his flag up.
Being honest if Bristol Rovers cannot get out of this league with the resources and support they have got there is really something wrong.
Actually being nine points off the lead isn't really a fantastic achievement either. The play offs are a lottery and should they slip up everyone will really be laughing loudly.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Probably didn't put his flag up because with the wind holding the ball back it could possibly have reached the other player you had forward who if he had headed in would not have been interfering and therefore a goal. I do feel sorry for linesmen these days because they can't flag until the player actually touches the ball and that causes more frustration among supporters than the old rules.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

A Realist wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSfPdg-kIY

Some of the highlights but it doesn't show a fair few of their chances.
impossible to say off that video, pausing at the moment Ives swings it in the BR defenders are on the 18 yard box, pause again when benyon comes into shot and hes a yard or so inside that, he could have made that ground up or started there!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Friendlygas, Surreygas and others - it's good to read your views on here as opposed to our own understandably biased opinions ! Personal insults which have been flying around do nothing whatsoever to add to discussions about yesterday's game. Let's face it - we were soundly beaten by a better team on the day. It would have been good to snatch a point at the death but it would have been daylight robbery. It's hard to pinpoint where things are going tits up. Some are criticising the defence but I thought the back four did okay apart from the second goal. Brucie even posted that he didn't think Levi Ives had a very good game but I thought he was one of our best players. I think just like last season, we are losing it in midfield. Luke Young has been a great signing of course but Courtney Richards is not showing the sort of form he showed early in the season. He created nothing yesterday. Up front, O'Achie works hard and chases everything but as Forever rightly posted weeks ago, he will create more goals than he scores. Yesterday's conditions didn't suit Toby Ajala's game (I thought Briscoe should have been brought on much earlier) and Bowman was the worst player on the field. He did nothing all afternoon and didn't look interested in putting himself about. I thought the ref did okay in horrendous conditions. Maybe he got some decisions wrong but he did his best to let the game flow.

My view of Rovers ? Difficult to assess in such awful conditions. Strong and well disciplined in defence and in total control of midfield. Impressed with their nos 10 & 11 (Taylor & Gosling ?). Lots of chances created BUT ....... the finishing was woefully bad. Yes - they could have won 5 - 1 but if they fail to put chances away like they did yesterday, they will get caught by a sucker punch as they nearly did. They should be in the play offs but there have been better sides at Plainmoor this season. Discounting Barnet who play to Martin Allen's up and at 'em style, Gateshead, Grimsby, Woking and Forest Green have looked better footballing sides.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

looked at it about six times and it hard to say with benyon only coming in to sight at the last second, would be a shame if it was on side as its cost us a valuble point. saying that rovers should have buried us long before but thats footie, i was annoyed when it was dissallowed and still am, the lino was poor all afternoon as have most been this season, im afraid it conference football and conference standard officials, they are no better that park standard, fricking shocking. and mr savvas yiannis was no exception. dont give up the day job mate, take a good look in the mirror. :@
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

If you look at Nenyons position when the first ball comes in from the free kick and with the defenders moving out he would have needed to have come out and then swiveled to get back in. It is possible but unlikely to have that ability at this level and the linesman looks like he would have been perfectly positioned but that means nothing with the standard of officials in this league!! You just have to move on to the next game and don't feel guilty the next time a good decision goes your way.Its all about swings and roundabouts with footballing decisions.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

It's impossible to say whether Benyon was offside from those highlights. We really need to sort out how to defend set-pieces. O'Achie was at fault for the second goal as he was supposed to be marking Trotman. Despite his size, I wouldn't trust him man-marking one of Rovers' tallest players as he rarely wins a header because his timing and anticipation is awful. I've never been a fan of zonal marking but we need to change something because we are chucking goals away from corners and free-kicks. I would also prefer to have men on the posts.