New Players/Loan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Well six thousand pounds then would be the equivalent of around £200,000 now; so yes it is unaffordable!

Considering people were getting into football for half a crown then (12.5p) and now pay (let's say) £16 at Torquay United you get some idea of the manner in which life has changed.

I remember Tommy Northcott telling me how he got the hump when Stubbs arrived because he was on a tenner a week and the new man was on fifteen!

......and remember that as first division player Stubbs was the equivalent of a Premier League player (with over 60 first team appearances to his credit) it also showed how there was very little in the wage differential in those days between Divs four and one.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The 6k would in all likelihood be considered unaffordable.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Robin Stubbs - last 4 posters actually, dont forget me
Ok physical presence if you prefer that to big lump, I dont particularly want to see it hoisted up to them all match either,
but thats what we do a lot so may as well have a big man up there. I just think Williams would benefit
from it, pick up a few pieces as he is a poacher. Also Dan Sparkes is a very good crosser of the ball and a lot of his
stuff is wasted
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Back to the original point. Is Hodgkiss staying or going?
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 20:32 Back to the original point. Is Hodgkiss staying or going?
Hopefully staying, but may as well toss a coin
Lucy
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I thought Thursdays was the usual day to 'reveal all' by the club? So I guess any news of new players, retained players, additional finance, ground purchasing, pigs flying etc will be tomorrow. After the Pod Cast has been recorded as well.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just to include my name in the recent references to the Prince of Plainmoor. Never anyone better.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

nickbrod wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 20:32Back to the original point. Is Hodgkiss staying or going?
It's my understanding that the intention is for him to remain; you know this club ~ just because it hasn't been put on the OS don't assume he ahs gone back to Kidderminster
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 22:10 It's my understanding that the intention is for him to remain; you know this club ~ just because it hasn't been put on the OS don't assume he ahs gone back to Kidderminster
The answer comes to those who wait! Loan extended for another month; good.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

Good news. For anyone familiar with the rules, how does this work? i.e how many times can we extend before the end of the season?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

As long as it's done within the time limit; he CAN be signed in his own right if he can secure his contract and registration release from Kidderminster and I've good reason to believe that this is something that is being worked on...the player is happy at TQ1, the club are happy with him and that is a good situation because (when I saw him at Bromley) he brings a degree of knowledge of what he is doing and influence on the team that I hadn't seen in that position for a long time.

It could well be the same with Byron Anderson; because ~ to be brutally honest ~ what I saw at Maidstone with Gerring and Rooney (who was playing in an unfamiliar position to him) not really having a clue as to what was going on and the goaly behind them not really helping as vocally as would be desirable, I'm sure the manager saw that and knew he had to act immediately or face disaster.

One of the major issues this season is that those who were re-engaged have not really 'trained on' (as they say in horse racing) and improved on the back of the progress they made last season when that raft of more experienced players were brought in around Christmas time.

Is that an error in judgement on the part of the management or wholly the responsibility of the players concerned? Difficult to quantify; but it has been disastrous for the club with another relegation battle resulting.

Can Brendan Moore, Aman Verma, Ben Gerring, Lathaniel Rowe-Turner, Courtney Richards, Luke Young, to name but some truthfully put their hands on their hearts and claim they have improved as footballers this season?

Yet that should (indeed MUST) be the aim of every professional footballer if he is even to remain in the game, let alone progress because the inevitable result at this level is that they will find themselves out of contract and without a living unless they do. Angus MacDonald is a good example of that; there he was career going down the shitter and he finally pulled his socks up, began to improve and reaped the rewards. Reaped them at the expense of OUR club losing captain and central defender in one fell swoop in the week the season began and the manager himself would tell you what a disruptive blow that was for all concerned.

The sprinkling of a few 'Hodgkisses and Andersons' within the squad won't do any harm that's for sure!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Merse, any news on anymore signing's before Saturday's game?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No.............

I do know that one 'target of interest' needed to be offered around a grand a week to be able to justify giving up his work as a London taxi driver and his part-time contract at another National League club which gives you an idea that some of the best players in this league are not necessarily full-time footballers nor will be unless clubs from a higher level can come in and tempt them.

I don't accept that it is necessarily a striker that would increase the goal power ~ the contribution from midfield this season in this aspect has been abject so maybe a midfielder with a track record for getting forward and scoring might be the answer.

So (again) it is not necessarily a 'big man' who is the panacea for all of United's ills right now; it is someone who will get in and around the box and get their shots off in my opinion.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

From what I am led to believe the recruitment drive to strengthen our goal scoring hopes is non-existent - unless they come in free of charge that is!

It seems the fact the quality needed for us to avoid relegation is either lost on (or being ignored by!) those who now hold the Plainmoor keys - and the fact the local press refuse to do their jobs is only making this decision that much easier.

While the club whimpers off to impending disaster those who are paid investigate and report critical events discuss fat goalies and previous club captains!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Richinns wrote: 24 Feb 2017, 13:51 From what I am led to believe the recruitment drive to strengthen our goal scoring hopes is non-existent - unless they come in free of charge that is!

It seems the fact the quality needed for us to avoid relegation is either lost on (or being ignored by!) those who now hold the Plainmoor keys - and the fact the local press refuse to do their jobs is only making this decision that much easier.

While the club whimpers off to impending disaster those who are paid investigate and report critical events discuss fat goalies and previous club captains!
As I see it, the problem is G.I. still haven't been ratified by the National League as bona fide owners and so there's little they can do until formal ratification is received. The implication by Dave Thomas in the H.E. was that it was merely a rubber stamping exercise. I'm beginning to wonder. If that was the case, why is it taking so long ?