Nicho backed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Whatever went wrong Thea had the best intentions for the football club. In stark contrast I believe with the current owners. And that makes the difference to me, I know I'm in a minority, so be it I don't care.

And yes I will say I told you so. And I fully expect the same back if I'm proved wrong, that's opinions in football.

I would buy a season ticket next season with KN in charge and relegated and any owners bar this lot or similar.
TUST MEMBER
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Neal wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 16:12 Whatever went wrong Thea had the best intentions for the football club. In stark contrast I believe with the current owners. And that makes the difference to me, I know I'm in a minority, so be it I don't care.

And yes I will say I told you so. And I fully expect the same back if I'm proved wrong, that's opinions in football.

I would buy a season ticket next season with KN in charge and relegated and any owners bar this lot or similar.
I'm not sure where you get this notion that you are in a minority?

I don't know of one single Torquay fan who thinks GI have the best interests of the club at heart, and I don't remember any posters on here with that point of view either, although I stand to be corrected. Other than Alpine Joe on TFF (and most of his posts seem to be tongue in cheek) I don't think the other forums disagree with you either.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Some people have very short, or very selective, memories. Without financial input from Paul & Thea Bristow, TUFC would have gone under five or six seasons ago. For starters, the old wooden Grandstand would have been condemned and it was Thea who stepped in with the money for a new Grandstand in memory of Paul.

Thea by her own admission said that she knew nothing about running a football club and only became chairman because nobody else would take it on. Reading between the lines, she and the other directors mistakenly put too much faith/trust in Bill Phillips and in my view that, sadly, is where the rot started. Any criticism of Thea Bristow is vindictive because as Dave/Soton Gull has posted, she is a lovely lady and has been very generous to the club she loves.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 17:22 Some people have very short, or very selective, memories. Without financial input from Paul & Thea Bristow, TUFC would have gone under five or six seasons ago. For starters, the old wooden Grandstand would have been condemned and it was Thea who stepped in with the money for a new Grandstand in memory of Paul.

Thea by her own admission said that she knew nothing about running a football club and only became chairman because nobody else would take it on. Reading between the lines, she and the other directors mistakenly put too much faith/trust in Bill Phillips and in my view that, sadly, is where the rot started. Any criticism of Thea Bristow is vindictive because as Dave/Soton Gull has posted, she is a lovely lady and has been very generous to the club she loves.
:goodpost:
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

The definition of 'stupidity' contains no reference to either good nature or generosity it is defined as behaviour that shows a lack of good sense or judgement: I rest my case.

Leaving the running of something you finance to idiots like Simon Baker and Bill Phillips is the very epitome of a lack of good sense or judgement; no-one can argue with that and the trouble is so many people cloud their judgement with sentiment; that a professional organisation has gone down the toilet cheer led by people of equally clouded judgement who allow sentiment to overrule common sense and rational thinking.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

merse btpir wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 23:22 The definition of 'stupidity' contains no reference to either good nature or generosity it is defined as behaviour that shows a lack of good sense or judgement: I rest my case.

Leaving the running of something you finance to idiots like Simon Baker and Bill Phillips is the very epitome of a lack of good sense or judgement; no-one can argue with that and the trouble is so many people cloud their judgement with sentiment; that a professional organisation has gone down the toilet cheer led by people of equally clouded judgement who allow sentiment to overrule common sense and rational thinking.
I think those who read your posts can judge for themselves what a nasty bast*ard you are.
Briangull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Briangull »

Merse says it in a inarticulate way. But Thea despite good intentions does have to take some blame for the position the club finds it self in. She was chairmain and finiacer of what is probably the worst managed period of the club's history.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Personally I think that episode in our history shows more stupidity from Baker & Phillips than it ever will from Thea. It's not a crime to trust people, even when they abuse that trust. These were "gentlemen" who knew and worked with her husband, I'm sure she would have felt they had her best interests at heart, that's naivety, not stupidity. Was it wrong of her to be taken in by those two reprobates? She did what she did to honour the love she and her late husband had for the club. To label her stupid is pretty distasteful and borderline insulting.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 00:39 I think those who read your posts can judge for themselves what a nasty bast*ard you are.

Plain speaking never did go down well around TQ1; that's the root cause of the problem ~ a bit more of it and the crisis might not be as it is now with the club in the hands of people not really wanted by many of the supporters in direct contrast to when it was in the hands of Thea Bristow.

If people had listened to the plain speaking about Baker and Phillips this whole catastrophe might have been avoided. Plain speaking never hurt anyone; cowardice and deception does!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 06:24 Personally I think that episode in our history shows more stupidity from Baker & Phillips than it ever will from Thea. It's not a crime to trust people, even when they abuse that trust. These were "gentlemen" who knew and worked with her husband, I'm sure she would have felt they had her best interests at heart, that's naivety, not stupidity. Was it wrong of her to be taken in by those two reprobates? She did what she did to honour the love she and her late husband had for the club. To label her stupid is pretty distasteful and borderline insulting.
:goodpost:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

To be fair to Merse I've been trying to tell people on here about the 'merits' of Baker and Phillips for years but always seemed to be met with the defence that they were fans and good people. I think they both proved themselves spineless in the extreme and so totally clueless about running a football club.

One incident that sums Phillips up was when he approached the bench during a game and said to Buckle, "I've got some really bad news for you". You can imagine the horror Buckle must have felt and the kind of things that naturally come to mind until Phillips finally told him the news that one of our players was actually ineligible for the match. The man is an idiot who somehow manipulated his way to a free seat at the table and then saw fit to get involved in financial aspects he had no right to. Baker was way too short sighted and timid to run the club. They spent a lot of the Bristow money and wasted almost all of it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

merse btpir wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 23:22 The definition of 'stupidity' contains no reference to either good nature or generosity it is defined as behaviour that shows a lack of good sense or judgement: I rest my case.

articulate it how you wish if it makes you feel clever, no need for it at all.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Southampton Gull wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 06:24 Personally I think that episode in our history shows more stupidity from Baker & Phillips than it ever will from Thea. It's not a crime to trust people, even when they abuse that trust. These were "gentlemen" who knew and worked with her husband, I'm sure she would have felt they had her best interests at heart, that's naivety, not stupidity. Was it wrong of her to be taken in by those two reprobates? She did what she did to honour the love she and her late husband had for the club. To label her stupid is pretty distasteful and borderline insulting.

"She did what she did to honour the love she and her late husband had for the club. To label her stupid is pretty distasteful and borderline insulting."

Totally Agree!!
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Jerry wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 16:55 I'm not sure where you get this notion that you are in a minority?

I don't know of one single Torquay fan who thinks GI have the best interests of the club at heart, and I don't remember any posters on here with that point of view either, although I stand to be corrected. Other than Alpine Joe on TFF (and most of his posts seem to be tongue in cheek) I don't think the other forums disagree with you either.
"I'm not sure where you get this notion that you are in a minority?"

Because I enjoy it I suppose :)
TUST MEMBER