Gary Owers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Fletch wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 17:59 Were other clubs signing managers that were already under contract though? Or like Coxy, free agents?
Were Bath happy to let him go straight away or did they insist on working a notice period?
This article suggests that Owers was only contacted in the last week. So it would seem that talk of a notice period is wide of the mark.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/sport/fo ... ath-479776

“If you’d asked a week ago, or even less to be honest, if I thought I’d be where I am now, sat in my car driving down the M5, I would’ve said no chance, but things happen."
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Jerry wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 18:54 This article suggests that Owers was only contacted in the last week. So it would seem that talk of a notice period is wide of the mark.

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/sport/fo ... ath-479776

“If you’d asked a week ago, or even less to be honest, if I thought I’d be where I am now, sat in my car driving down the M5, I would’ve said no chance, but things happen."
I see from the article that Ower's say's “When things happen in football they happen very quickly,”. Not at Torquay the don't Gary.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 18:44 the thing is that we got rid of nicho without a plan in place.
Without a plan in place!!, we're still waiting for the 5 year plan. Stalin wouldn't have taken this crap :lol:
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

brooker wrote: 15 Sep 2017, 14:17 I can't understand how people are still being negative. I get that it took far too long, and there was plenty of occasions over the last few weeks where I thought that this might be the moment that GI and Harrop make the move that dooms the club, by appointing Robbie or anyone else costing truck all, showing that relegation is not something that bothers them.

They haven't done this. Owers may seem a little underwhelming at first, but is qualified to the teeth at this level, in a way that neither Nicho or Herrera were. To add to this, we've signed Kuhl as number 2, who has even better coaching qualifications, and a huge web of contacts at Category 1 academy level and below. This is ideal in our position, and fits the talk of our building the club by developing the young players who are released from the higher level academies, to make the club sustainable. I also don't really have a problem with Harrop being part of this comittee. He may get a lot of stick but he knows more than most about the workings of a football club, especially at a youth/academy level, and during his career has probably built up a significant list of contacts himself. He's certainly not signed two yes men underneath him, and for the first time in a long time we now have a core of people in the club who actually know what they're talking about.

I'm suspicious as hell of GI, as they have money at heart, not Torquay. Having said that they've spent a hell of a lot of money that they didn't have to, from re-laying the pitch which won our Groundsman the 2016-17 National League Groundsman of the Year Award, to refreshing the clubs branding, and now sacking a failing but cheap management team, and replacing them with a hopefully fit for purpose but expensive duo, paying off Nicho and Bath City in the process. Maybe we missed out on a preferred candidate, maybe Harrop cocked up leading to delays, it doesn't matter. Keep half an eye on Osborne and GI, but get behind the team again, the new guys deserve it, and they've already made moves for 1 or 2 new players.
:goodpost:

Agree with all that
TUST MEMBER
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Owers said on the radio this morning he's trying to get two players in but one may have changed his mind as a situation has changed at his club.
He's also stated that he will manage with old fashioned ways so perhaps there is going to be discipline on the field wow.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

arcadia wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 17:30 Owers said on the radio this morning he's trying to get two players in but one may have changed his mind as a situation has changed at his club.
He's also stated that he will manage with old fashioned ways so perhaps there is going to be discipline on the field wow.
"old fashioned" bet he doesn't mean 'old school'!
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

I think Owers & Kuhl deserve an awful lot of credit for the results in the last 5 or 6 matches. Up to that point they had been nothing short of a disaster and i doubt they could have had many complaints about fans beginning to doubt them. Although the jury is still out about them for me, both in terms of long term availability (not having yet signed contracts) as well as their ability to not just keep Torquay in the league but to raise the bar regarding expectations, i think these past few games have given the club and the fans renewed hope that all is not lost.

Even though technically they have simply been doing the job they are paid to do these past few games, i think that given it's the festive season and goodwill to all men then we can give them great credit for keeping the club within touching distance of safety still.

Bar Dover and Hartlepool away, from the beginning of March the run in is really favourable so if the club are still in there pitching over Xmas and into the New Year then the prospects for survival would look really good. If the club can pull themselves out of the bottom 4 during this time then fantastic but the key thing is not to start getting cut adrift again as a win for the clubs above in the next game or so and the gap could be 9 points ish again.

Just wanted to come and congratulate Owers & Kuhl for the last months or so work. I had told them to piss off a few months back and with justification i believed. One win against knackered part timers who had been stuck on a coach for hours wasn't acceptable in terms of their start to employment at the football club but now they look like they are earning their corn so fair play.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Yorkieandy wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 10:30 I think Owers & Kuhl deserve an awful lot of credit for the results in the last 5 or 6 matches. Up to that point they had been nothing short of a disaster and i doubt they could have had many complaints about fans beginning to doubt them. Although the jury is still out about them for me, both in terms of long term availability (not having yet signed contracts) as well as their ability to not just keep Torquay in the league but to raise the bar regarding expectations, i think these past few games have given the club and the fans renewed hope that all is not lost.
How do you know they 'haven't signed contracts'?

Nobody knows that and just because the club have chosen no to discuss employer-employee relationships publicly means nothing.

Of course 'all is not lost'.....it's December the 14th; the club is (effectively) six points from being out of the relegation places; there are 21 games to go.

It takes a lot of agreement between their employer and their employees ~ Clarke Osborne and any players concerned ~ to radically clear the squad of the dross that is there and THAT will be the pivotal aspect of it all.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's a post giving credit ffs and all people can do is nitpick.

As the great Alan Partridge would have said

'honestly.......you people'.

:lol:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

I'm not nit picking; I'm questioning the validity of your statement that the management ar not on contracts and I've spelled out the actualite of where we are as regard the number of matches played so far, how many there are to go and what needs doing about the squad.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

All I can say is that I think Gary and Martin are doing a very good job and we just need a little bit of good luck to come our way.
I know you can argue about luck but in so many games which we have dominated but not won we have not had the run of the ball.
The Gateshead goal is a good example of how the ball dropped perfectly for Preston to bury the chance.
I think we are just one player short of getting out of this mess. We all know what we need. And Gary and Martin know for sure but it is a big ask to find the right man that we can afford.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I dunno what you are allowed to express in front of this Merse bloke without being brought down a peg or two. Anyhow Yorkie, most of your points are valid as far as I'm concerned you carry on giving credit where it's due in your opinion, get ready the prima Donna comments are surely on their way now.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

'this Merse bloke ' has as much right to an opinion as you buddy and calling someone to attention for making a statement that cannot be proven as factual is no crime is it?

Talk about parochial :|
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

So how do you know what Yorkie knows or doesn't ? Are we just to take your appraisals as gospel & not challenge you ? My Parochial or for the uneducated amongst us narrow minded views are of course an opinion of yours in which you are entitled to as much as we are with you & as much as it irks with you to be challenged by anyone deemed below you I will not be beaten down by you . Yorkie has stated what he believes is true, it may not be, but he believes it, there is a way to challenge his knowledge or where he is getting his factual content from in a friendly civil manner not trying to put the poster down in the pompous arrogant way you come across, yes have a debate but for crying out loud engage with others as if you are one them not as if you're above them.
Rant over, I don't always agree Yorkie but keep on posting what you feel is correct.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

They are trying to form there own squad , style and vision for the future while fixing the shambles they were left with. It's not just a quick fix to save from relegation but also building for the future. No question it's important to survive this season though. I've faith in them , football people, professional and no ego. They are doing good things