Ian Twitchin -RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
mattymoos
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Wes Saunders

Ian Twitchin -RIP

Post by mattymoos »

Very sorry to announce that Ian Twitchen passed away last night. Club legend and very top bloke. I'm sure many will have some great memories to share. RIP
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Oh dear that's terrible news.

Remember him, a very loyal and dependable servant to the club.

Thanks Ian for the service to the club. Fond memories of those days.

RIP and my condolences to his family.
TUST MEMBER
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

RIP, condolences echoed.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Oh my that is so sad. What a great servant to the club. Happy days. RIP Ian
Porky
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by Porky »

I remember him playing in the 1970s, when I was a kid. Free kicks were a speciality if I remember rightly. Nice guy nice local family.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Top man, top family loyal player he & my old man used to talk about their pro careers whenever they bumped into each other & how much the game has changed for the worst over the years. Will miss you Twitch , sad day sad news.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I'm devastated to learn of this; so please spell his name correctly ~ it is Twitchin.

We grew up together playing against one another in schools and youth football and together at Newton Spurs. Whilst I went on to become the Business Manager at the club he was playing with distinction and went on to do so for many years.

He was only 65 0r 66; such a young age.

Indeed: RIP
Last edited by merse btpir on 03 Dec 2017, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

that is such a shock, he was a legend, one of my heroes in the seventies, remember him scoring a cracker against the scummers up the road to win 1-0, he used to come into my dads shop in Holland road in Teignmouth once a week to do the football pools.
RIP, TWITCH!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I'll tell you all a lovely little tale of Twitch and how (indeed) the game has changed since the days in which he played......

After one of our legendary visits to Somerton Park to play Newport County; the team coach left minus a few predictable suspects of which there were Willie Brown (a former County player) Barrie Vassallo ( a 'son' of Newport) and Twitch. I'm pretty sure Donal Murphy and Jimmy Dunne were 'in on this' as well. Entertaining us were the Newport chairman Richard Ford and his wife who have a family connection with today's Buckland Athletic; their Commercial Manager Mike Lewis who later went to prison for his part in the Exeter City ownership scandal and their unique Secretary-Manager Billy Lucas ~ a bigger fan of Twitch you could never wish to meet and determined to 'get' him in a County shirt come hook or by crook. Billy was a real old veteran of the game resplendent in blazer and bow tie as always and the room was a smokey old chamber beneath the rust infested main stand so you can picture the scene......

This lead to one thing and another, and a rather inebriated Twitch taking the Kings' Shilling; sinking yet another pint with a shiny coin of the realm in it placed there by Billy Lucas who thus claimed he had his man!

That was football in those days.....I can recall the moment as if it was yesterday but ask me the result and I haven't a clue. But did it really matter? No, not really.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Zippy wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 17:27 [highlight=yellow]that is such a shock, he was a legend, one of my heroes in the seventies, remember him scoring a cracker against the scummers up the road to win 1-0,[/highlight] he used to come into my dads shop in Holland road in Teignmouth once a week to do the football pools.
RIP, TWITCH!
seconded.
loved to watch him play....
in fact, if I recall correctly, player of the year 1978!! :bow:
400 appearances for TUFC - his one and only club! :clap:
RIP Twitch.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

I'm hoping the club could do the right thing & honour Twitch with some memorial at plainmoor with the recognition he deserves. I realise everything nailed or glued down has a paying sponser attached to it these days, but some sort of plaque or something better would be a fantastic sentiment to Twitch. Here's hoping .
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 19:38 I'm hoping the club could do the right thing & honour Twitch with some memorial at plainmoor with the recognition he deserves. I realise everything nailed or glued down has a paying sponser attached to it these days, but some sort of plaque or something better would be a fantastic sentiment to Twitch. Here's hoping .
I agree cricket grounds have stands and entrance gates named after certain legends of the club. Why not football. The Ian Twitchen entrance/gates/turnstiles would be a nice touch.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Always enjoyed watching him. All very sad and so young.
A turnstile gate named after Ian would be a good touch.
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

What about The Ian Twitchen pop side!
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Zippy wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 20:10 What about The Ian Twitchen pop side!
as long as it's spelt correctly! as Merse has already pointed out his name was Ian TWITCHIN.

RiP Ian.

A true Torquay United legend.
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''