Ian Twitchin -RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

Oh bugger. Sad news. Very vague memories of watching him in the twilight of his career and the nascent days of mine watching the club. My grandad always liked him so I’m sure he was a fine player, regardless he was certainly a good servant of the club. Condolences to all those touched by their loss.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

A sad loss. By chance he is currently one of the running themes of one of the TUFC podcasts (National Obsession) which was a sign he was still remembered fondly. RIP
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Very sorry to hear of 'Twitch's' untimely passing. He was one of several fine players in the Gulls' side during the '70's and never gave less than his very best; fond memories of watching the likes of 'Twitch', Kenny and Phil Sandercock, Steve Morrall, Mal Lucas et al. Could I echo the previous postings and pass on my condolences to his family and friends.

Louis, please could I repeat Merse's request that 'Twitch's' surname be spelt the correct way on this thread, as the present spelling does a disservice to such a fine player and servant of the club.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

One of the most committed and wholehearted players I ever saw play for us, always ran his socks off
every game, great tackler and came up with some important goals, I remember that winner at Exeter too,
25 yarder in the top corner
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

My first ever live match was in 82 watching Ians testimonial versus Aston Villa. They brought a strong team down having won the European Cup only the year before.

RIP Ian Twitchin
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Great athlete. He comprehensively outclassed everyone on the Teignmouth Grammar School football field, nutmegging me several times in the process, and he could keep going all day. So pleased he stepped into the Torquay Team and held his own for many years. A loyal servant of the club, and a nice guy. RIP
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

One of of the greatest servants to the club. not many can claim 400 appearances Like Twitch. he was one of the first I remember playing. Robin being the other who sticks in my mind. I remembered players more as i grew older and I took more of an interest in who was who. RIP Ian. You should have at least a fans plaque on the yellow wall.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Bluebird07

Post by Bluebird07 »

Really sad news about Ian pretty certain we made our first team debuts at Tranmere Rovers Prenton Park he was a tremendous competitor a great guy.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Having just checked the 'Bible' you are correct of course Bluebird07, you must be Robert Bob? Gray
I am sorry I dont remember you , it seems both your Torquay games were away from home
Understudy to fellow Scot Andy Donnelly who was at Plainmoor a couple of weeks ago and I guess you were not offered
terms the following season, no disgrace though as Mike Mahoney was lined up and what a keeper he was
Obviously Ian Twitchen made a big impression on you though as he did all of us, the sort of player fans love
Bluebird07

Post by Bluebird07 »

Desperado you are correct only played two games for the first team both away from home at Tranmere and Doncaster memories fading but thoroughly enjoyed my time on the "Riviera" just an awful long way from home. Still watch for the results and hoping we start to climb the table sooner rather than later.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Come on guys show the man some respect and spell his bleeding name correctly, please,surely it's the least you can do
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I’ve amended the topic to reflect the correct spelling.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Saw my first TUFC match very late in the 1980-81 season, so my memories Of Ian Twitchin are vague, never less, R.I.P to great servant of our club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Bluebird07 wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 21:37 Desperado you are correct only played two games for the first team both away from home at Tranmere and Doncaster memories fading but thoroughly enjoyed my time on the "Riviera" just an awful long way from home. Still watch for the results and hoping we start to climb the table sooner rather than later.
Indeed very sad news about Ian Twitchin. Same age as me. I have been away in Prague for the last week and heard about it just before I left. During my time away I found myself thinking about it more than if it had been a distant cousin that had died. A bubbly infectious character, all round nice bloke, and an inspirational player on the pitch. The post from Bluebird07 got me thinking. I stand to be corrected, but have we ever had 3 youth team players (Twitch, Bob Gray, and Phil Sandercock) play for the first team in the season they were still youth players as happened in 1969/70? I would doubt it, and a 4th (Robbie Robins) later played for the Torquay first team. We were of course in the old Division 3 (League One) then and were one of the better teams in it, so a much higher standard then we are currently struggling at. I was one of the less talented players in that youth team there to make up the numbers, but a great bunch of lads and it was always Twitch we looked to to turn the game. Although Bluebird07 (Bob Gray) says his memory is fading (well it was almost 50 years ago) he may well remember 3 FA Youth Cup games against Plymouth Argyle - mainly because he played in two completely different positions. I was a full back so in the first game at Plainmoor Bob was behind me in goal. We drew 1-1 with Argyle getting a late penalty equaliser after we had led from the 2nd minute and Twitch hitting the post in the last minute. The next week Robbie Robbins went in goal for the replay at Home Park and multi-talented Bob went up front as main striker. Again 1-1 after extra time after a late Argyle equaliser. We lost the toss for venue for 2nd replay so we were back at Home Park the following week where Bob again led the front line. Ian Twitchin scored in that game but we lost narrowly.

I will certainly not forget Ian Twitchin....and as somebody else posted it would be nice if service to the club over many years could be recognised in some way at Plainmoor, so that those who did not have the pleasure of seeing him play will also know of him.
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Post by laura twitchin »

These comments are all lovely my father Ian Twitchin would of been overwhelmed. Also a special thank you to all that keep stating how to spell are last name properly. I would really like to know your really names, as going to print this out for the rest of my family.