Ian Twitchin -RIP

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Post by laura twitchin »

My family would like all to know dad's funeral is on the 20th of December at St James church teignmouth at 11.15 am. We will then be going to teignmouth football club where they will be a book of condolence for people to share their memories/times with my dad.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Hello Laura, thank you for your kind words of appreciation, once again I would like to show my appreciation of Twitch. I remember being at Shaldon primary school in 1978, Your Dad & John Turner showed up to give us a training session, wow what an experience it was my first time proper training lesson & I've never forgotten how kind & patient they were with us 10 year olds, truly unforgettable. From
Gavin Rackley Teignmouth, son of Bob Rackley ex Exeter city Bristol rovers Oldham athletic Halifax town on loan Bradford park avenue on loan, Taunton town Bishopsteignton United & Teignmouth AFC.
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by laura twitchin »

Thank you
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by laura twitchin »

Teigngull wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:21 Hello Laura, thank you for your kind words of appreciation, once again I would like to show my appreciation of Twitch. I remember being at Shaldon primary school in 1978, Your Dad & John Turner showed up to give us a training session, wow what an experience it was my first time proper training lesson & I've never forgotten how kind & patient they were with us 10 year olds, truly unforgettable. From
Gavin Rackley Teignmouth, son of Bob Rackley ex Exeter city Bristol rovers Oldham athletic Halifax town on loan Bradford park avenue on loan, Taunton town Bishopsteignton United & Teignmouth AFC.
Thank you
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

One of my earliest memories of watching Torquay United was seeing Twitch score a cracking free kick in my third ever game at Plainmmor. A 1-0 win over Bradford City in November 1973. I will always remember him as a real character who always gave his all A true legend unlike so may who receive that accolade but are nowhere near the class of Ian Twitchin
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Before my time but sounds a class act on and also off the pitch. Condolences to the family.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 20:36 Before my time but sounds a class act on and also off the pitch. Condolences to the family.
Before my time also but does indeed sound like not just a great player but a great guy as well.

If ever a player deserved some kind of permanent memorial then surely it's Ian Twitchin?

Local boy, one club man with over 400 appearances in one of our more successful periods.

Naming a stand after him would be a great tribute but I realise it's unlikely in this day of corporate sponsorship but surely something can be arranged? Can TUST petition the club to get something done?
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

I couldn't echo this any louder if I tried if it has to have a sponsor how about something in the realms of THE IAN TWITCHIN POPULAR STAND SPONSORED BY ???????????, popular man popular terrace it all makes sense to me, come on tufc this can be done .
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

Or not necessarily sponsored but " in conjunction with" ?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

..i knew a bit about him but as usual in life it takes something like this to actually take stock and really appreciate this man.
What about we all did something ourselves , I would chip for something, a plaque or a stone engraved tribute at plainmoor. Something that will last
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 12:29 ..i knew a bit about him but as usual in life it takes something like this to actually take stock and really appreciate this man.
What about we all did something ourselves , I would chip for something, a plaque or a stone engraved tribute at plainmoor. Something that will last
This is the opportunity for GI to show that they care about the club, its players & its fans by going the right thing by Twitch. Let's give them the opportunity to show us.
Yes a stone a plaque or whatever but it should come from the club in my humble opinion, if the supporters club or who ever else wants to get involved so be it but the club has got to show it cares !!!!
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

well said Teign gull, IAN TWITCHIN POPUPLAR STAND IT SHOULD BE.
A TRUE LEGEND!
Randall

Post by Randall »

Hello.
I went to school with Ian at Teignmouth Secondary School as it was then. He was my Captain and he was a forward player then too. I recall what a battler he was on those frosty Saturday mornings. I remember also lunchtime competiveness playing with a tennis ball in the school playground.
I went abroad to live in the far East and Australia and New Zealand but kept track of Torquay United and is still my team (thick and thin) checked British newspapers and there he was in the TU line up as full back most every weekend.
This is sad news to me and condolencies to all who knew and loved him.
I do remember a particular day watching Torquay playing Spurs (we had to see Greavsie after all) Robin Stubbs two goals to draw 3-3 what a noise. Can't rscall if Ian was there that day, it was the greatest day ever for me watching the Gulls.
RIP Ian and Godspeed :clap:
Randall
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Randall »

It is a sad day for me today Sunday 14th January as I have only just learned of Ian's passing. I moved away from Teignmouth in May 1967 to the Far East and Australia and New Zealand. I was always able to keep in touch with Torquay United as the English papers were available allbeit a couple of days late and was able to check the scores and the team etc. I do remember being totally knocked out when I first saw Ian Twitchin on the team sheet (I was in Hong Kong then), he was always the best player at Teignmouth County Secondary School on the pitch or on the playground (where we honed our skills with a tennis ball). He was the Captain and in assembly on Mondays he often had to credit himself as scorer of goals the previous Saturday morning.
Trying to find memories in a 65 year old head here... I do recall a few frosty, bright Saturday morning games and what a battling kind of player Ian was. I also remember a special day and I think Ian was there in January 1965 when we watched The Gulls play Tottenham Hotspur in the Third Round of the FA Cup.. and oh my god what a last five minutes, Robin Stubbs god bless him, I cannot remember such a noise as that! 3-3 and against Greavsie, Gilzean and Mullery too.
I was not able to see Ian play for Torquay United but I know what a star he was for the team and what a servant he was, I am very proud to say to friends when football is the subject that I had gone to school with such a great lad as IanTwitchin.
Last christmas my daughter bought me a Torquay United mug, and it was so strange that there on the design was a photo of Ian Twitchin.
I am so proud to have known him. My condolences to all who loved this wonderful lad. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My name is Randall Owen and I now live in South Wales.
Ian twitchin

Post by Ian twitchin »

Hi Randall
Sorry taken so long to reply thank you for lovely words about my dad