GILBERT's performances.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

GILBERT's performances.

Post by wivelgull »

As my only way of being at Plainmoor these days is via the TUFC Official TV clips of each home match, and although I notice that GILBERT takes a regular part in pre- and post- match proceedings, I wonder if contributors can give me a more detailed update. Does GILBERT appear at half-time and take part in any half-time shenanigans? Who IS GILBERT these days? Is he (or perhaps it is she) a successful GILBERT, happily entertaining the fans with avian antics? Or is he more subdued? The last GILBERT I saw at Plainmoor (that's four years ago now) appeared about 40 minutes before kick-off, aimlessly wandered around the periphery of the pitch, and then disappeared forever into the dark place where all GILBERTS seem to go. Or is he in the style of the never-to-be-forgotten 'One Can Lasher', whose antics thrilled, amused and annoyed the crowd?
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Gilbert is a large seagull who nests during the week and appears as if by magic at Plainmoor on match days. Great at posing for selfies with the kids and even a few excitable adults. He often sits with the locals in the family stand which looks hilarious and occasionally nicks the chips off a toddler or at least pretends to, much to the delight of the fan. At half-time he wonders on to the pitch for the 'hit the cross bar competition' and if given the chance has a go himself.
A good mascot, always in character especially when it comes to promoting the excellent supporters club, which now has over 300 members and arranges kids parties,meet the players, birthday cards etc.
Gilbert is a credit to the club and a delightful presence for the younger fans.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Jolly good; I'm pleased to hear it.
SkyBlue Gull

Post by SkyBlue Gull »

That all sounds very good but:

Has there been a significant improvement in Gilberts performance since Owers and Kuhl came in?

Has his fitness improved - does he last the pace of a Saturday afternoon better under the new management?
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

SkyBlue Gull wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 09:24 That all sounds very good but:

Has there been a significant improvement in Gilberts performance since Owers and Kuhl came in?

Has his fitness improved - does he last the pace of a Saturday afternoon better under the new management?
I seem to recall the Gaffer being quoted somewhere saying that Gilbert the Gull wasn't rubbish any more. He must be significantly fitter now than he was under the previous regime.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

What a job would love a go at it.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Not sure that he is any fitter.
Noticed last match he spent most of second half sat down in family stand.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

GILBERT HAS [s]RESIGNED[/s] LEFT THE NEST!

Hi Guys sorry to say this but as of today I have had no choice but to deactivate my page due to ongoing issues with the media dept
I am restricted on what I posted photos taken on match days had to authorised before posting just of late
I opened the page 4 years ago with no problems but now I'm told I shouldn't of done
This was for fans to post pictures of themselves smiling with Gilbert for me to interact with the fans and families
It was about what Gilbert did behind the scenes putting 100% effort and passion promoting the club all voluntary
This season has been hard and testing the media dept doesn't follow Gilbert so I got me little mate to take pictures but that was questioned
In 4 years Gilbert has been washed repaired at my own time and expense all the festive costume changes my expense
It takes dedication to wear Gilbert for 4 hours on a match day and just recently for the young gulls Christmas Party 3 costume changes but no sign of the media dept attendance
My little mate took pictures but all photos had to be authorised not a thank you for your hard work apart from one person that has supported me throughout my 4 years
It's hard to continue to be the crazy mascot that once was with all these ridiculous restrictions a mascot should be free to enjoy entertaining from start to finish
So that's it from me guys it's been fabulous meeting you all high 5 dabs and messing your hair up enjoy your new year and all the best for the future
Lots of love
Steve xx
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

Very sorry to hear Gilbert as we know him has retired. He seemed fed up of the media department needing approval of photos etc. It does seem to be too much red tape for a Gull to cope with. However, they are probably not being too annoying on purpose because nowadays schools also have to jump through hoops to get photos published because some parents don't want their kids on social media. Also there is often some other problem and a carer for the child does not approve. Therefore, I hope Gilbert as we have known him for the last few years who also has a nickname of Steve, reconsiders if he has the time and patience to continue.
After all I am still waiting for 3/3 on the cross bar challenge.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I wasn't aware of this - and how ridiculous and mean-minded it is. GILBERT is the ONLY light in the terrible darkness which now surrounds Plainmoor and TUFC. I say:

BRING BACK GILBERT!!

(p.s. to anyone who knows how to do it|: can you put a petition page up?)
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

I wonder if this last incarnation of Gilbert merely failed to settle in the area, having previously been nicking chips in places such as Malta and Finland?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

If he is a cannibal, he's welcome to come up to Whitby and have a go (I think he's a hard nut) at the shitehawks up here.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

There was an interesting article about football mascots in Tuesday's Daily Telegraph Sports Section. The article concluded mascots "are football's hidden heroes, and are needed now more than ever."
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Personally I think all mascots are an embarrassment.