Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DWB1

Post by DWB1 »

Interesting point made by Rob regarding the linesman. I do stand on the pop side and the ‘pressure’ put on the linesman on our side is quite intense? Is that as much as the opposition bench???
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

budegull1954 wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 15:25 Nothing to do with what happened on the pitch but it makes me chuckle that the '15 brave Heed fans' who attended the match the other night have had such a big press coverage, including the Daily Mirror online. What about the hardy Gulls fans who make the similarly arduous journey up to Gateshead? No press coverage there!
https://www.gateshead-fc.com/national-p ... d-support/
Note to the Gateshead media team:

If you are going to run a story about 15 away supporters it might be a good idea not to include a photo which clearly shows more than 15 in the away end (not to mention those in the seats). ;-)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 18:24Benches should be swapped around, the away team are able to put too much pressure on that lino to their benefit

I've been saying that forever; an appalling lack of nous from a so called professional club who are so way adrift of the hard facts of life in the game it is a joke.

Have I stuck up for the officials refusing to believe they can make a mistake? Read my post again!

I am not standing up for a mach official for the sake of it I am explaining how his positioning is perfect to judge; whether or not his judgement is then as perfect is open to question and yes the grass line on the pitch makes that obvious when you study it numerous times. But the lino doesn't see that 'line' as he is at pitch level and not elevated; nor does he have numerous opporunities to observe the passage of play and has to make a decision based on what he believes he has seen based on one 'real time' observation.

Angles are everything for match officials. From his angle, the ref did not see or judge Pittman's challenge on the keeper to be a foul (again; he is at pitch level) and not elevated from where it looks obvious to me ~ and that immediately preceded our goal ~ unlucky with one decision; lucky with the other
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

There are always debatable decisions in a game but on this occasion I don't think its a case of one going our way and the other not. I did say at the time I thought Reid was onside but I wasn't level however my friend who was sat in line was adamant that Reid was onside.

That isn't unlucky its a blatantly appalling decision by someone who was incapable of doing his job probably - I mean its not even close. Reid is miles onside.

As for the apparent "foul" by Pittman - it looks to me as though the keeper has flapped and missed it before Pittman is anywhere near him. There is not one Gateshead player appealing for a foul so nothing there at all for me.

Had the offside goal stood that changes the game completely as we were well on top at the time so we have every right to feel aggrieved.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 22:45 There are always debatable decisions in a game but on this occasion I don't think its a case of one going our way and the other not. I did say at the time I thought Reid was onside but I wasn't level however my friend who was sat in line was adamant that Reid was onside.

That isn't unlucky its a blatantly appalling decision by someone who was incapable of doing his job probably - I mean its not even close. Reid is miles onside.

As for the apparent "foul" by Pittman - it looks to me as though the keeper has flapped and missed it before Pittman is anywhere near him. There is not one Gateshead player appealing for a foul so nothing there at all for me.

Had the offside goal stood that changes the game completely as we were well on top at the time so we have every right to feel aggrieved.
Brucie I know its the season of goodwill to all men - but you are so positive! :-o :)

.....although I do agree with you! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 23:42As for the apparent "foul" by Pittman - it looks to me as though the keeper has flapped and missed it before Pittman is anywhere near him. There is not one Gateshead player appealing for a foul so nothing there at all for me.
I said 'it could be argued' and you (and the Gateshead goalkeeper) are doing just that from opposite sides of the fence . The keeper did protest so vehemently that he received a yellow card afterwards; it seems that got missed at the final whistle. In his appraisal of the incident a contributor on BTPIR who was positioned directly behind that goal at the time posted of the goalkeeper: 'I have no sympathy for him but feel that the record ought to be put straight. I then found it amusing when at the end he was booked for going berserk after the goal.'

On another post in the same thread, the same poster put:
'I was behind that goal and it appeared that their keeper was impeded but both ref and linesman gave it so I wasn't going to argue unlike the keeper who went loopy and got a booking for his troubles.'

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z51JIDlCC4

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z51JG5fpIn
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I wasn't there - but I agree with brucie!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It looks to me as if the lino flags in line with Keating not Reid who is clearly onside, so must have somehow
deemed Keating active though cant see how he thought that , you can just see him pointing the flag at where
Keating was , some 10 yards further towards goal than where Reid was
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

merse btpir wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 06:47 I said 'it could be argued' and you (and the Gateshead goalkeeper) are doing just that from opposite sides of the fence . The keeper did protest so vehemently that he received a yellow card afterwards; it seems that got missed at the final whistle. In his appraisal of the incident a contributor on BTPIR who was positioned directly behind that goal at the time posted of the goalkeeper: 'I have no sympathy for him but feel that the record ought to be put straight. I then found it amusing when at the end he was booked for going berserk after the goal.'

On another post in the same thread, the same poster put:
'I was behind that goal and it appeared that their keeper was impeded but both ref and linesman gave it so I wasn't going to argue unlike the keeper who went loopy and got a booking for his troubles.'

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z51JIDlCC4

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... z51JG5fpIn
I didn't say that Merse..... :}
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Coincidentally the referee Gary Parsons; handled the game I was at yesterday ~ Haringey Borough v Leyton Orient ~ and from my next to the touchline vantage point I could hear him constantly asking the trailing linesman for his opinions; to be honest none us is aware of precisely what is transpiring between the four officials as the match progresses.

More than that, I could hear the lino speaking back to him quite audibly underlining just how much of a team game refereeing and lining is in this day and age but nothing deters from the fact that they get one 'bite' at any decision as regards on or offside before any consultation is likely too bring the wrath of the crowd upon them.....easy it is not!
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

You can watch the Reid goal on YOUTUBE and is onside so no debate there. The ' linesperson' put up the flag early for Keating. A simple error nothing more or less. However, what was interesting to me is that the the United players as a group did not complain or put their hands up in anger. Therefore, the referee was under no real pressure to change his mind or consult with the linesperson as an excuse to change the decision.