Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry, if that was the situation then common sense should have dictated that someone had a word with a Policeman and had him arrested for contravening his banning order. Going after him in the crowd when the game is all but over is just asking for confrontation something their physical intervention and conflict management training should have covered.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I have not said a lot lately but I went to Tranmere and again tonight and the same problem is there. In dry weather Reid and Keatings touch is just about passable on a wet pitch it is crap.

In wet weather Murphy would be better as he can hold it up so long as he does not make it a contest of strength. Tonight I was bored as the strikers could not control the ball or pass it. The same thing happened on Saturday.
The most exciting part of the game was Williams cross which was perfect and Frenchy nearly got his first goal absolutely brilliant both the save and the move.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 22:18 You sure about that?

At least they're fit enough to do that now, unlike under the last piss-poor management.

Typically poor side though ~ OK until they go behind then confidence evaporates down the plughole. So how do you counter that? Bring in a Racchi type figure; a Mal Lucas or John Benson for us older fans; someone who will bark, bollock and bite.

Nicholson didn't like that and let his little ninnies in the squad influence him. Surely Owers (and more pertinently Kuhl) will see that as the way out of this because you can take it from me players like Young, Lathrope and McGinty are no leaders. Unless that is done then forget any conversion on the road to Damascus or whatever else you want to call National South.

At least the manner in which they play the game now shows how fit they are to be taking the game to the other team; sticking at it and coming strong at the end ~ unlike the disgraceful state of affairs when Owers and Kuhl had to come in and clear up Nicholson's mess....and to think; he got a silver salver for it. It should have been a dog shit pooper scooper!

The extent to which they are able to recruit now that so many loan contracts are coming to an end though will determine all; and the gap from safety is six point effectively, so the message is stick at it and keep working hard!
You may call me a baboon but it seems to me that it is you who are the monkey with Owers as your organ grinder. Once again you spring to the defence of the new management and manufacture another mud (or dog excrement) slinging exercise regarding Nicholson. Did Nicholson push in front of you at the bar of one of the hospitality suites that you frequent or did he do something even more heinous like expose you as a self-opinionated, washed up bigot ?
I presume that you will deem Higgins to be culpable for the goal that Torquay conceded tonight, even though he wasn't in the squad, but If you were at the match tonight give us your wonderfully incisive comments as to why Torquay's new found super fitness was not sufficient to win the match: otherwise get off your soap box and move on.
Maybe Owers will manage to pull off a miraculous escape and maybe he won't but his record so far is going to have to improve enormously for him to have any chance. Assuming none of the three other clubs in the bottom four manage to avoid finishing below Torquay (despite their games in hand) which of the three clubs immediately above the relegation zone do you think Torquay have a realistic chance of overtaking? Taking into account goal difference Torquay need to win at least two or three games more than Orient, Barrow or Eastleigh who all have a game in hand and the club in 17th position (Fylde) have a 20 goal advantage in goal difference, 9 more points and 4 games in hand over Torquay. Of course it can be done but Owers has not yet shown any real sign that he can do it: the previous management may have been "piss-poor" in your opinion but so far this management team has not performed a great deal better in terms of the league position.
tufcyellowarmy
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by tufcyellowarmy »

At least they're fit enough to do that now, unlike under the last piss-poor management.

Typically poor side though ~ OK until they go behind then confidence evaporates down the plughole. So how do you counter that? Bring in a Racchi type figure; a Mal Lucas or John Benson for us older fans; someone who will bark, bollock and bite.

Nicholson didn't like that and let his little ninnies in the squad influence him. Surely Owers (and more pertinently Kuhl) will see that as the way out of this because you can take it from me players like Young, Lathrope and McGinty are no leaders. Unless that is done then forget any conversion on the road to Damascus or whatever else you want to call National South.

At least the manner in which they play the game now shows how fit they are to be taking the game to the other team; sticking at it and coming strong at the end ~ unlike the disgraceful state of affairs when Owers and Kuhl had to come in and clear up Nicholson's mess....and to think; he got a silver salver for it. It should have been a dog shit pooper scooper!

The extent to which they are able to recruit now that so many loan contracts are coming to an end though will determine all; and the gap from safety is six points effectively, so the message is stick at it and keep working hard!
On the evidence of tonight’s match we are most certainly odds on for the drop as jack has alluded to.
We were second to react to a loose ball , lacked shape and composure .
Our passing was atrocious at times and our game plan non existent.
Take the game to the other team Merse ?
We did nothing of the sort .
Gateshead were dreadful but they had a clear shape and stuck to it.
Fitness is improving eh ? Well Forrest Gump could run all day too but you need talented players too to compete and win games.
The fact that Dorel got MOM was entirely due to the fact that he expertly picked the ball out of the net after they
This management duo are not head and shoulders over KN and it’s obvious to anyone there tonight.
Thank god for a spawny last minute goal mouth scramble after a set piece.
We were poor .....
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

The extent to which they are able to recruit now that so many loan contracts are coming to an end though will determine all; and the gap from safety is six points effectively, so the message is stick at it and keep working hard!
Not sure why you are so obsessed with the past. That was then and this now. The current management team have ben in post long enough to be judged on their performance to date and so far they have struggled to motivate the team. Owners said as much in his post match comments after the Tranmere game.
Some of our relegation rivals have more experienced managers (Justin Edinburgh, Mark Yates, Paul Cox) which puts us at a disadvantage. Like you I hope that we can find a true leader on the pitch but why haven't Owers and Kuhl gone and found him from the ranks of unemployed footballers given that there is such an obvious need?
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

I thought in terms of shape and closing down we were setup fine, as we have been for a while. Until 80 minutes what did Gateshead create? Nothing. We do well to win the ball back a lot of the time, but we are just lacking quality going forward. Mcquoid, Reid and Keating were poor, Keating’s touch was quite frankly laughable at times. Guy showed some nice touches and passes and should have scored bar an unreal save, so would like to see him start next time. Is he going to be the long term answer though? Probably not.

Davey, Barnum-Bobb and Mcquoid all struggled badly with the ball, as did others, but these in particular are Owers signings and I just think we are going to have to bring in better quality in the new year if we are going to score enough goals to give ourselves a chance.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Apart from the usual lack of penetration in the final third, I didn’t think we played too bad tonight. We had the majority of possession and Gateshead scoring with their first opportunity was a sucker punch.

Other thoughts:

- Poor, poor goal to give away. You could see that GO wasn’t impressed
- It could’ve been 3 points if GG’s thunder shot hadn’t come off their unsuspecting keeper
- Not sure why Dorel got MOM
- Not sure what the incident on the Pop was all about, but was poor considering we had the TV crew at the game
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I was unable to get to the last two home games (Aldershot & Orient) so I was looking forward to seeing this 'new improved team' tonight. "We're no longer rubbish" says Gary Owers. Ha, ha, ha - oh yes we are on the evidence of tonight's game. Jack who was at the game is right. The Font of All Knowledge who I doubt was at the game thinks Owers & Kull, given extra resources, will get us out of trouble with loanees. Moving some of them out - e.g Murphy & McQuoid (who again 'disappeared' for much of the match and always seemed to be a yard off the pace) - and bringing in other loanees is not the answer. A settled side is the answer. The Font, without seeing tonight's game, again picks on Young, McGinty and Lathrope. They were probably the more effective players tonight.

Once again we had the 'Plainmoor Experience' tonight. I stand at the front of the Pop side, to the left of the group of lads who are still supporting this sorry club through thick and thin. Me and my mates were not aware of any problems during the match but then a steward took it upon himself to dive into the group AFTER THE MATCH to drag out an individual. Needless to say, the group of lads, and fans who saw what was happening, took exception to this high-handed action and an ugly situation between fans and srewards arose. Also, fans were prevented from leaving the ground until the situation had calmed down. I have posted on here before that the majority of stewards are reasonable and use common sense. It is only the very few who think because they are wearing a uniform, they can throw their weight around. I hope someone noted the steward's number so that he can be reported for his crass action.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

JamieE wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 23:44 I thought in terms of shape and closing down we were setup fine, as we have been for a while. Until 80 minutes what did Gateshead create? Nothing. We do well to win the ball back a lot of the time, but we are just lacking quality going forward. Mcquoid, Reid and Keating were poor, Keating’s touch was quite frankly laughable at times. Guy showed some nice touches and passes and should have scored bar an unreal save, so would like to see him start next time. Is he going to be the long term answer though? Probably not.

Davey, Barnum-Bobb and Mcquoid all struggled badly with the ball, as did others, but these in particular are Owers signings and I just think we are going to have to bring in better quality in the new year if we are going to score enough goals to give ourselves a chance.
I have to agree with this assessment. Gateshead appeared to cope with the conditions better because they didn't try anything much until they took the opportunity they were offered. I said 'one f*cking shot', which was echoed by Owers, clearly audible in the silence after the goal. The second half was more even with Gateshead having the wind. I don't think it would have been robbery if we had won with the only bit of real quality in the match, a fantastic cross from Myrie-Williams and a great connection from Guy, unfortunately straight at the keeper.
TUST number 080
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Oh Gawd, is there anything more depressing and frustrating being a Torquay United supporter at the moment? For the last 5 years in fact, continually having to fight relegation. Can't really see the situation improving as we can't get a settled side due to so many loanees, and the mangaement team obviously don't rate many of Nicho's signings - personally I thought Higgins was doing reasonably OK at right back, ceratainly no better and no worse than any others in the National League. As someone posted on the 'other' site, where's that route map to Weston, Concord Rangers etc?!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

It's going to get better!
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Someone should hang a bloody great sign in the dressing room " if you don't shoot you don't score " how bloody obvious is it ? Almost every one we've played shoots at the first opportunity & inevitability gain their reward within the 90 mins, it beggars belief why we don't do it .
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A creditable performance especially considering the awful conditions we were up against in the second half. Gateshead were basically saved from defeat by their goalkeeper so despite all the negative comments the performance wasn't that bad given the circumstances.

We were more than deserving of our equalizer at the end.

Even their manager admitted that his team came off second best on the night.

https://www.gateshead-fc.com/watson-hea ... heed-fans/
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

brucie wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 13:40 A creditable performance especially considering the awful conditions we were up against in the second half. Gateshead were basically saved from defeat by their goalkeeper so despite all the negative comments the performance wasn't that bad given the circumstances.

We were more than deserving of our equalizer at the end.

Even their manager admitted that his team came off second best on the night.

https://www.gateshead-fc.com/watson-hea ... heed-fans/
Yes agree completely deserved to win this game. The problem though in the position that we are in is that we just have to win these games, but we didn't.

There has been some improvement in performance but not really in results. It cannot continue.

We are a lot tighter at the back so goals are not being conceded as readily as they were. Up front though still seems a problem and nobody really knows where a goal is coming from. It was heading for yet another blank sheet last night until the goat herder rescued it in the last minute.

We are always likely to get a draw against anybody. But 0-0 given our better defensive performances but inability to score.

If we draw every game to the end of the season - and there are only 21 games left to rescue this - we will be easily relegated.

Goal scorer(s) required now!!

I know that is all stating the obvious.....but if we do nothing we are going down. I cannot see that the answer is within, so action is required urgently as relegation would be disastrous.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Brucie you've cheered me up I am just frustrated that Reid and Keating could not hold the ball or pass it in the conditions. Yes we had the most possession but it's what you do with it what counts.