Torquay v Gateshead

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I wasnt expecting quite such a tolerant view from Brucie, he would have been positively drooling if he had seen the Orient and Aldershot performances, but agree on reflection it wasnt that bad a performance, thought
Gateshead were well organised , defended very well in depth and frustrated us and we didnt have that extra bit
of quality and experience to unlock their defence.Reid and Keating are a bit green still and McQuoid
always promises a lot but rarely delivers much The team needs a focal point such as the Jon Parkin of 3 or 4 years ago
or Matt Rhead type of player, not easy to get hold of it seems. GI need to splash out on the wages though if Owers
does find one
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Remember though this game we would lost earlier in season. No doubt a good goal scorer would help , but keep the faith with owers he has more organised than we have been for a few seasons
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its a tough call really. Owers first priority had to be to sort the defence out and he has made an excellent job of it.

For me Keating did some good things last night but is probably a number 3 or 4 striker and Reid had a poor game, although having said that he did score a perfectly good goal which should have stood. In the first twenty minutes or so I thought we were excellent pressing and harrying Gateshead off the ball and creating some decent openings although we did waste good possession at times.

McQuoid looks very good on the ball but faded badly as the game went on. I still think that the conditions dictated the game and being one down at half time made it exceedingly tough for us - the highlights just indicate how bad the conditions were in the second half.

I wasn't expecting too much from GG but thought he was excellent when he came on, but we still need a decent targetman to go alongside him. Don't forget that Gateshead have only lost one of their last seven away games and that was only by one goal so they were not the pushovers everyone expected.

It was a real shame that Gateshead's match was called off on Saturday. Had they played I reckon we would have won last night.

However a free day on the 23rd could still work to our advantage. Our opponents Eastleigh have a tough game at Dagenham and Redbridge. They have a few players in their thirties and whilst the rearranged fixture didn't really work in our favour last night that situation could be reversed on boxing day.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Good points Bruce. I'm expecting now for the 3 games over to be super ready. I'm not happy with a point last night but would have been a lot less happy if we had lost. Hope daggers give them a hard time 23rd
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Just seen the highlights, and can't see any way that Reidy's goal shouldn't have stood. Terrible call by the lino.

I walked away feeling really disappointed after the game on Tuesday. I'm not entirely sure why as the performance was actually ok, but I just feel like I need a break from it all. Will see how i feel on New Years Day!
DWB1

Post by DWB1 »

I was there on Tuesday and thought at the time that Jamie Reid was onside and having just seen the highlights I now know he was!!
Dreadful decision by the the Lino.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I've watched that too and it must have been Reid judged offside and not the other player who was in no way active.

The lino has the perfect angle; , the TV camera does not therefore I would bow to his opinion although from the camera angle he looked onside
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

...it could also be argued that Pittman fouled their keeper in the lead up to the equaliser. As always there are contentious issues and maybe one has cancelled out the other in this match.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Nothing to do with what happened on the pitch but it makes me chuckle that the '15 brave Heed fans' who attended the match the other night have had such a big press coverage, including the Daily Mirror online. What about the hardy Gulls fans who make the similarly arduous journey up to Gateshead? No press coverage there!
https://www.gateshead-fc.com/national-p ... d-support/
DWB1

Post by DWB1 »

On the offside note I do find it infuriating that Ruairi Keating seems to be offside more than on! Think it was probably him that was offside for the goal. I know he is often the one ‘closing down’ the play but I am sure I saw Gary Owers having a go at him re being offside on more than one occasion?
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

merse btpir wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 14:05 I've watched that too and it must have been Reid judged offside and not the other player who was in no way active.

The lino has the perfect angle; , the TV camera does not therefore I would bow to his opinion although from the camera angle he looked onside
Yet again you stick up for the officials refusing to believe they can make a mistake.
It can be clearly seen despite the angle that he was onside.
Look at the lines across the pitch where the grass has been cut
DWB1

Post by DWB1 »

WHG posted

Yet again you stick up for the officials refusing to believe they can make a mistake.
It can be clearly seen despite the angle that he was onside.
Look at the lines across the pitch where the grass has been cut

:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Merse - Reid is a mile onside. You can see that the linesman panicked and really didn't have a clue. He must have given four throw the wrong way in the first half.

The defender hasn't got a hope of catching Reid so just shoves his hand up appealing for offside. Keating is running back and the linesman basically hasn't got a clue what is going on. It would be laughable if it wasn't another dismal decision in a whole season full which have gone against us.

Not a foul for me on the goalkeeper. As he had fallen down inured about fourteen times in the game before that probably swayed the referee
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Merse should know what he's on about when decisions are made but I was in line with the camera and thought Reid was onside.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Benches should be swapped around, the away team are able to put too much pressure on that lino to their benefit