Re: Ian Twitchin -RIP memorial

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
laura twitchin
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Re: Ian Twitchin -RIP memorial

Post by laura twitchin »

I will fight for something to been done at Torquay United in tribute to all my dad Ian Twitchin. My dad was a local boy, who stayed loyal to Torquay United - YELLOW ARMY!!! For all his pro career, he played over 400 games for the club, with only 4 others. He also played for England youth and Devon. If you support me please help me get a tribute he deserves please private message me your name!
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

You have my support, PM already sent...
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Should be something, a room named after him , a stand .....somesort of memorial thing ...something. still think hartelpool has the Cyril Knowles stand and he was only there a few years , though fully deserved as a wonderful man and great manager. 400 games warrants a long-term tribute.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

The Ian Twitchin popular stand, ( popular man popular player ) it just makes sense, let's make it happen now before it's too late.
I've pm'd you Laura with my total support.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I echo that Laura.......The Ian Twitchin Popular Stand; it just has to be and I will start a campaign too on BTPIR!
http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... ute-needed
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

:scarf:
merse btpir wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 19:50 I echo that Laura.......The Ian Twitchin Popular Stand; it just has to be and I will start a campaign too on BTPIR!
http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/thr ... ute-needed
Well done Merse, good shout 10/10 no irony intended, honestly. :scarf:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Never saw him play , never met him. But from what I read and heard sounds a decent man and a great servant to torquay united. Also a fantastic, skillfull and hard working professional of association football.
C'mon gaming international think of the clubs fans as do the right thing for ian.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

There is already Bristow's Bench. Is there a Dennis Lewis Stand or a Don Mills Stand or a John Bartlett Popular Side ? Eventually, Frank O'Farrell and Robin Stubbs will kick-on in the afterlife from this dafter life. What then ? What happens if the actions of Gaming International result in literally a levelled playing field?

Twitch is deserving of a memorial of some kind.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Is him Bartlett still about. Used to ring that bell. When did he start using that bell ....tell me any information on this ?
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Last time I saw John he was still "effin and blindin". Kerswell Gull will know if John is still in the land of the living. As for when the legend of the bell started, I've no clue, but know when it finished. After a spat on the Popside with a couple of well known forum posters, it was the last tolling of the bell.End of story. :nod:
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

One hundred per cent support from me on this. Trojan is correct in mentioning other true club legends who also would deserve to be recognised - Don Mills, Sam Collins, Robin Stubbs etc - but Twitch has the edge over all of them. He is a local Teignmouth boy and was a one club man with his local professional club. He started on the books of the club as a schoolboy in his early teens. Went through the hard knocks of the nursery club Newton Abbot Spurs in the South Devon League and South Western League. Trained as an amateur on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and in his mid-teens established himself as a permanent fixture in the reserve team in the Western League. During that time he captained Devon Youth and played for the Devon senior team when still a youth player. He also played for England Amateur Youth (alongside another Torquay reserve team player of that time John Knapman). Twitch then went on to join Torquay United - a leading 3rd Division club - as a professional (contrary to what was reported in the Herald Express earlier in the week Twitch was not an apprentice professional at the club - the two apprentices at that time were Phil Sandercock and Stuart McGowan - he went straight from amateur to full time professional). He made his Football League debut in 1969/70 season while still a youth team member (Bob gray and Phil Sandercock also made their first team debuts from the youth team that season) and then went on to notch up over 400 appearances.

Always delightful pleasant company off the pitch and an inspiration on it, if anybody deserves a permanent memorial of some kind at Plainmoor then it is our local club legend Ian Twitchin.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Stefano remembers well as he should do. Indeed, at the beginning of this week, a former Torquay United player of Twitch's time at Plainmoor told me that Ian signed on as a full pro.

John Knapman was an excellent player. Several more players spring to mind of a past Western League time - Fred Binney, Ben Murphy, Russell Peterson, Steve Feasby, Lenny Jackson, Terry Price, Tommy Trankle . . .
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Trojan 67 wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 10:21 Stefano remembers well as he should do. Indeed, at the beginning of this week, a former Torquay United player of Twitch's time at Plainmoor told me that Ian signed on as a full pro.

John Knapman was an excellent player. Several more players spring to mind of a past Western League time - Fred Binney, Ben Murphy, Russell Peterson, Steve Feasby, Lenny Jackson, Terry Price, Tommy Trankle . . .
BEN MURPHY !!!!

used to be a comedian on the club circuit and used to see him twice a year in Cornwall. Had many chats with him and so many stories. Fantastic comidian and entertainer.
Not sure if he does it now, this was around 1988 to about 1998.
ltwitchin

Post by ltwitchin »

Thank you all dearly, I will start my fight after Christmas, we buried my dad yesterday ian Twitchin. Was an amazing turn out as for john Turner he was there so very much still with us. Lawerence, Peter coffill,Colin Lee , Steve morrel, Dave rudge are the few I saw. The church didn't have enough seats think this shows how much he deserves permanent memorial x merry Christmas to you all x
Horsey

Post by Horsey »

In reply to westyorkshiregull about Ben Murphy the first time I met him was when I was in the second year ( 2c ) at Torquay G.S. Murphy arrived at lunchtime with a couple of mates as a first year during the first day of a new school year and went to every second year class asking to fight anyone who would take him on.

No one in the second year would accept his challenge so later that week he fought a fourth year chap known as Drac or Dracula and hammered him in front of the whole school . After that having set his marker down nobody gave him any grief during his school days.

Already a TUFC fan I always followed his progress with the club and was pleased an old boy made the first team for a few games but at school I avoided any set twos with him !