Jim Parker Herald Express

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

It's a poisoned chalice simply because no bugger ever seems to know what they are doing!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

lucy6lucy wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 21:46 46k loss, how must Thea be thinking losing 3 million . He's a bookmaker he can recoup that easily. However I do applaud him initially for taking the club over. It's a poisoned chalice and it shouldn't be.
I don't think you know much about bookmakers!

Dave Phillips is a septuagenarian singular independent bookmaker; not William Hill. He travels the south of the country standing on racecourse pitches doing his trade; lays bets off and earns his living by his wits.......that's a tough way to earn a living.

Thea Bristow won her money betting on the National Lottery and got more money in one fell swoop than Dave has ever made. If Thea had applied a bit more common sense or been better served by someone who is still involved in the financial side of the club that allowed the part of her fortune that they had access to; to be spunked away it ight be a whole lot better situation now. I find myself questioning the responsibility of her outgoing regime (and its consultant Kelvin Thomas). The prospect from Dave Phillips' board was becoming a weaker and weaker option because of people dropping out. Could not the club have been taken off the market or the group been given more time to raise a higher, more appropriate sum? Or was the previous regime beyond its limit by this time?
Last edited by merse btpir on 02 Feb 2018, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

What's that long word in merses post mean ?

Yes , that one ?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

It means he's a very old man.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:12 What's that long word in merses post mean ?

Yes , that one ?
He scans the dictionary for a new one to use on a daily basis. Keep up man ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well Dave Phillips is one and I'll soon be one! :)
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:03 I don't think you know much about bookmakers!

Dave Phillips is a septuagenarian singular independent bookmaker; not William Hill. He travels the south of the country standing on racecourse pitches doing his trade; lays bets off and earns his living by his wits.......that's a tough way to earn a living.

Thea Bristow won her money betting on the National Lottery and got more money in one fell swoop than Dave has ever made. If Thea had applied a bit more common sense or been better served by someone who is still involved in the financial side of the club that allowed the part of her fortune that they had access to; to be spunked away. I find myself questioning the responsibility of her outgoing regime (and its consultant Kelvin Thomas). The prospect from Dave Phillips' board was becoming a weaker and weaker option because of people dropping out. Could not the club have been taken off the market or the group been given more time to raise a higher, more appropriate sum? Or was the previous regime beyond its limit by this time?
Tbh, I don’t think anyone can understand the bookmaker. They keep taking our money. On that basis Phillips is doing very nicely. He must have known that a 30k investment into Torquay was hardly going to set the world on fire
Lucy
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Southampton Gull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:19 He scans the dictionary for a new one to use on a daily basis. Keep up man ;-)

Does merse assume we have a-level in English

Never even heard of it said before nor seen it published
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:33 Well Dave Phillips is one and I'll soon be one! :)
I was one 20 years ago and i'm only 40! :clap:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Or maybe merse has some Sesquipedalianism
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Not always Lucy.......I could name a few who have gone bust and I enjoyed one very good year when I cam out well on top of the bookies ~ but then the next year they came well out on top of me.

No doubt when they were paying me they had laid those bets off; but you know what I'm going to tell you now........that's right I never did; and when my income declined with my health I had to stop.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:36
Does merse assume we have a-level in English

Never even heard of it said before nor seen it published
Hey Westie. We're both from Gods own so don't speak English anyway. :lol:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:37Or maybe merse has some Sesquipedalianism
Post of the night! :lol:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 23:37 Or maybe merse has some Sesquipedalianism
I find it egregiously sesquipedalian his loquaciousness but Merse is the master of grandiloquence. :whistle:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

MellowYellow wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 01:24 I find it egregiously sesquipedalian his loquaciousness but Merse is the master of grandiloquence. :whistle:
Surely you mean flatulence ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com