Survival: Could we do it?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Is there any hope? Can we survive?

Yes. The Greatest Escape of all is just around the corner.
15%
If we replace the manager, maybe...
8%
No. Doom awaits.
77%

Total votes: 688

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Not saying we should have hand outs. But football used to be and still is to a extent the beautiful game. Instead of money filtering down to grassroots through our hands it's now blown upwards. It's all totally wrong.
I agree clubs should be doing what that can always to improve but tell you i would never ever think a club to go bust to advantage us is anyway positive
I find in crass to even understand people that think or make posts about it . Sorry I feel so passionate about it
Last edited by westyorkshiregull on 04 Feb 2018, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 11:21 Not saying we should have hand outs. But football used to be and still is to a extent the beautiful game. Instead of money filtering down to grassroots through our hands it's now blown upwards. It's all totally wrong.
I agree clubs should be doing what that can always to improve but tell you i would never ever think a club to go bust to advantage us is anyway positive
I find in crass to even understand people that think or make posts about it . Sorry I feel so passionate about it
Don't think anyone thinks it is positive if clubs go into administration but if I had a choice between letting a club who has tried to buy their success, and ultimately gone bust because of it, get demoted instead of us who have tried to stay within our budget, and found our team not quite good enough, then i'm afraid tough shit to them, you sow what you reap.
Maybe they should have tried to stay within their budget and struggled like everyone else.
They can always do what Aldershot, Hereford et al have done and rebuild without spending too much.
I totally agree this is all due to the excesses of the Premier League which has ruined lower league football.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Lower league football clubs have ruined lower league football - not anybody else.

York City FC for example. It's owners are the only ones responsible for how that club operates and how therefore how successful and profitable that club is on and off the pitch. If they are lazy, inept, selfish, arrogant, ignorant and generally not up to it then i don't see how the Premier League is to blame for that.

There are many, many examples of clubs at a lower level who have been run appallingly and only surviving through the sheer determination of a hardcore group of supporters that in any other situation in life should have seen them walk away years ago and with very good reason.

If the owner is a knobhead then the club and it's fans will suffer.

Does anyone think that if the Premier League gave Clarke Osborne or that Oyston bloke say 250 grand then it would be spent sensibly on the club and team anyway? :lol: Not a chance. Give some of these owners more money and they'd only squander it anyway or pocket it. Either way the club and it's fans wouldn't benefit.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

We need to pick up as many points as possible this month, then next month we have to beat, Chester, Guisley, Solihull, we play them one after another, which really is in our favour as long as we win
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

I still hand in heart know relegation is an almost certainty. But whilst the team have gelled as such in the last 2 matches, the best policy is don't look at the league table at the moment. The team have to simply keep winning. The 7 point gap between us and 20th place barrow is misleading simply because they have 2 games in hand. Halifax are looking dodgy at the moment. The maximum points return if we win our remaining 14 games is 66 points. With 50 being the generic safety. We can only drop 15 points ( our goal difference being the factor) to get to 50 points. So this will require at minimum 8 wins and a few draws.
Lucy
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Its not just Barrow we have to catch though, the others are not just going to give up, Solihull are in play off
form 4 wins and a draw in the last 5 and 6 points clear of us with a game in hand. It is possible but highly
unlikely, we would need an incredible run of form and as you say must beat the other teams in the mix
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Just remember it's points that are more important than games in hand!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 19:40 Just remember it's points that are more important than games in hand!
Couldn’t agree more. However the team(barrow) the place above relegation are effectively 8 points clear of us with 2 games in hand.
Lucy
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

and one of them is against Guiseley. :-/
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

nickbrod wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 19:40 Just remember it's points that are more important than games in hand!
Yep and we behind in both
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 13:03 Lower league football clubs have ruined lower league football - not anybody else.

York City FC for example. It's owners are the only ones responsible for how that club operates and how therefore how successful and profitable that club is on and off the pitch. If they are lazy, inept, selfish, arrogant, ignorant and generally not up to it then i don't see how the Premier League is to blame for that.

There are many, many examples of clubs at a lower level who have been run appallingly and only surviving through the sheer determination of a hardcore group of supporters that in any other situation in life should have seen them walk away years ago and with very good reason.

If the owner is a knobhead then the club and it's fans will suffer.

Does anyone think that if the Premier League gave Clarke Osborne or that Oyston bloke say 250 grand then it would be spent sensibly on the club and team anyway? :lol: Not a chance. Give some of these owners more money and they'd only squander it anyway or pocket it. Either way the club and it's fans wouldn't benefit.
Couldn't agree more with this. There are plenty of lower league and non-league clubs who are doing fine so how can the Premier League be to blame for the other clubs woes?

They are in trouble because of the way they are run pure and simple.

Even if the Premier League handed out free money to lower league clubs all that would happen is that the money would be spent on higher wages for the players. The poorly run clubs would be in exactly the same situation as they are now, just with better paid players.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

It's a good point although I've always blamed Sky and not the Premier League even though they're virtually one and the same these days.

What it might have done though is create better facilities further down the pyramid if given to the clubs wisely. Just throwing it at players wages can only achieve for so long, building an infrastructure can benefit generations not just a few.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 10:27 Thing is though, if Chester got to the Premier League then would they happily forfeit some of the money they'll get chucked at them and give it to the likes of Torquay, Hartlepool etc?

Not on your life.

No of course they wouldn't.

You just need to look at the example of Bournemouth. After years of financial struggle culminating in being in administration more than once they get taken over by a chap who plows a fortune into the club. They reach the Premier League and rake in untold millions. Then they do a shady brown envelope deal with Leeds to stiff us on a couple of hundred grand for our Eunan sell on fee.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Jerry wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 20:26 No of course they wouldn't.

You just need to look at the example of Bournemouth. After years of financial struggle culminating in being in administration more than once they get taken over by a chap who plows a fortune into the club. They reach the Premier League and rake in untold millions. Then they do a shady brown envelope deal with Leeds to stiff us on a couple of hundred grand for our Eunan sell on fee.
Exactly.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Agree on that. But could be done in grants for youth schemes and infrastructure. I don't mean money from the club's but money from the administrators.

Not asking or expecting charity