Attendances and the next generation of fans

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 13:35
There is so much other stuff for youngsters to do nowadays so if they aren't hooked by the time they've left school then you've lost. It's not like back when i was a kid when we had no mobile phones, internet, games consoles, playcentres, activity centres, multiplex cinemas etc etc etc. So many more things to do now than spend 90 minutes in the rain watching a shit non league side lose in front of 1,000 and odd fans.
This is the main problem nowadays. I started going regularly in 87 and at that time, there were 4 TV channels, no live football every night and certainly nothing else to occupy my teenage mind. These days, kids spend their lives on social media, hanging around bus shelters or watching Premier League football on SKY/BT. It's not cool to watch Torquay because we're shit and always lose. Kids want to be cool, not ridiculed in the playground every Monday.

The best way to attract fans is to win games.

Win games regularly and you may get promoted back into the football league. Keep winning and you could get to League 1. That brings bigger crowds and clubs with bigger away followings. Stay on that winning streak and suddenly you find yourself on the edge of the Championship, attracting more sponsors and TV companies who want to show one of your games live. Then we start to see a positive viewpoint on national TV and before you know it, Helen Chamberlain is back in touch with the club raving about her support as a blue coat. More wins, attract better players and then you get lucky and you're fighting for a place in the Premier League..............etc etc.

Now come back to reality. We don't win. We lose............regularly, we always have done and sadly I cannot see our club ever matching the achievements of the likes of Bournemouth, Blackpool, Burton, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Yeovil and others who used to play us in the league but who have all tasted life in the second tier and above in some cases.

Attracting young supporters to our club is one of the biggest challenges we could ever face. Look at how empty the family stand is each week. Watch a game there yourself and when you experience how cold it can be, you'll perhaps see why it's not a fun experience for youngsters and their parents,
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Basing your business model around winning games is partly the reason why so many clubs are in the shit. How **** stupid ARE these owners? Clubs need to run themselves on the assumption that they will lose every week for the foreseeable future, which most do unsurprisingly enough.

If you can still attract fans AND keep those that already attend when you are playing shit football and losing most weeks, which most clubs do. Then your business model is working. Not only that but if, IF that club manages to start winning and playing well then it's a bonus.

Bradford have been around the lower reaches now for a good few years since they were in the Premier League and they got nearly 20,000 fans for their last home game against AFC Wimbledon. They are a well supported club anyway no doubt but the club has worked hard to build relationships with supporters, to engage them and to reward and incentivise attending games.

Even if they got relegated to League 2, i'm not sure attendances would fall that much unlike many other clubs whose attendances fall off a cliff simply by the team going on a long losing streak.

Attract the fans. Engage them, give them a day out off the pitch with loads of activities and stuff going off and treat them like royalty. The rest will take care of itself REGARDLESS OF RESULTS.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:10 Basing your business model around winning games is partly the reason why so many clubs are in the shit. How **** stupid ARE these owners? Clubs need to run themselves on the assumption that they will lose every week for the foreseeable future, which most do unsurprisingly enough.

If you can still attract fans AND keep those that already attend when you are playing shit football and losing most weeks, which most clubs do. Then your business model is working. Not only that but if, IF that club manages to start winning and playing well then it's a bonus.

Bradford have been around the lower reaches now for a good few years since they were in the Premier League and they got nearly 20,000 fans for their last home game against AFC Wimbledon. They are a well supported club anyway no doubt but the club has worked hard to build relationships with supporters, to engage them and to reward and incentivise attending games.

Even if they got relegated to League 2, i'm not sure attendances would fall that much unlike many other clubs whose attendances fall off a cliff simply by the team going on a long losing streak.

Attract the fans. Engage them, give them a day out off the pitch with loads of activities and stuff going off and treat them like royalty. The rest will take care of itself REGARDLESS OF RESULTS.
This 100%! :goodpost:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Bradford had a surperb season ticket offer and having to been to valley parade several time a great atmosphere. It's all a fine line , Bradford having 6000 fans would be awful but 15000 paying cheaper a no brainer
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

When my little 'un goes to the dentist she wouldn't exactly say it's somewhere she wants to be but when she gets there the receptionists are friendly and chatty, they give her a colouring sheet and some pens and a sticker for when it's been coloured in. Then the toys come out, LEGO and allsorts. She goes to in and the dentist is really engaging and friendly and has cuddly toys lined up along the desk, one of which he lets you pick out to hold whilst teeth are checked. We leave and and all of a sudden the next visit to the dentists is not simply about a trip to the dentist.

It's about the WHOLE EXPERIENCE of a day.

A football club who relies solely on it's product on the pitch (which is usually crap) to make a lasting positive impression on a young kid is already dying IMO. There is only so much a mad passionate mum or dad fan can do over 90 minutes / half time to keep their offspring interested in the day out and so the kid wants to go again.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:10 Basing your business model around winning games is partly the reason why so many clubs are in the shit. How **** stupid ARE these owners? Clubs need to run themselves on the assumption that they will lose every week for the foreseeable future, which most do unsurprisingly enough.

When Torquay played Bradford in 2010/2011 season in League 2 they had 10,900 watching, From a population of 520,000 that's 2.1% of population.
We had 2,900 watching at home from a population of 130,000 that's 2.2% of population.
So we obviously are doing something better than Bradford.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Only a bean counter ...... ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

WHG wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 22:24 When Torquay played Bradford in 2010/2011 season in League 2 they had 10,900 watching, From a population of 520,000 that's 2.1% of population.
We had 2,900 watching at home from a population of 130,000 that's 2.2% of population.
So we obviously are doing something better than Bradford.
I wouldn't say so , 5 times the crowd is better than 0.1% of a stat. Many other football teams around Bradford area also.
Impster
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Paul Dobson! Or not

Post by Impster »

Lincoln fan here. I often have a look on this forum out if general interest and because you are a former league team and a club I have always had a lot of time for.

Just 18 months ago LCFC had a near 400k bank overdraft with the Co Op which they wanted back. Not only that there was a real danger we would lose all our banking facilities. Things started to change for us when an overseas investor got ob board. We're not talking big money but without him we wouldn't have got Danny and Nicky.

Those two are someting else. The community work. The way they can engage with absolutely everyone. They are tireless. I'm sure they have visited every school within 30 miles of Lincoln at least once.

This was Wednesday morning after the Chelsea game...

Check out @Fossewayacademy’s Tweet: https://x.com/Fossewayacademy/status/96 ... 59968?s=08

The transformation is down to them. Yes of course results and the cup runs have helped, but they are absolute diamonds. Irreplaceable when they finally move on to better and bigger things.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Always had a soft spot for Lincoln. Went to Uni there based at the Riseholme campus.

The Cowley's are amazing. Positive, engaging, happy, pro active, forward thinking, polite, motivational. Just the perfect example for others at this level to follow. It also rubs off on everybody else around. Owers meanwhile............

Hope you go up. You deserve it.
Arrywithnobrain
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tony Brown

Post by Arrywithnobrain »

Yorkieandy wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:32 When my little 'un goes to the dentist she wouldn't exactly say it's somewhere she wants to be but when she gets there the receptionists are friendly and chatty, they give her a colouring sheet and some pens and a sticker for when it's been coloured in. Then the toys come out, LEGO and allsorts. She goes to in and the dentist is really engaging and friendly and has cuddly toys lined up along the desk, one of which he lets you pick out to hold whilst teeth are checked. We leave and and all of a sudden the next visit to the dentists is not simply about a trip to the dentist.

It's about the WHOLE EXPERIENCE of a day.

A football club who relies solely on it's product on the pitch (which is usually crap) to make a lasting positive impression on a young kid is already dying IMO. There is only so much a mad passionate mum or dad fan can do over 90 minutes / half time to keep their offspring interested in the day out and so the kid wants to go again.
Yes: Following Torquay United is just like having root canal treatment.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

Impster wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 12:40 Lincoln fan here. I often have a look on this forum out if general interest and because you are a former league team and a club I have always had a lot of time for.

Just 18 months ago LCFC had a near 400k bank overdraft with the Co Op which they wanted back. Not only that there was a real danger we would lose all our banking facilities. Things started to change for us when an overseas investor got ob board. We're not talking big money but without him we wouldn't have got Danny and Nicky.

Those two are someting else. The community work. The way they can engage with absolutely everyone. They are tireless. I'm sure they have visited every school within 30 miles of Lincoln at least once.

This was Wednesday morning after the Chelsea game...

Check out @Fossewayacademy’s Tweet: https://x.com/Fossewayacademy/status/96 ... 59968?s=08

The transformation is down to them. Yes of course results and the cup runs have helped, but they are absolute diamonds. Irreplaceable when they finally move on to better and bigger things.
Just heard on BBC Radio Sheffield that Cowley turned down the Barnsley job today.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Surprised but pleasantly surprised.

Not much loyalty these days and refreshing to see.

Unless he is eyeing up chelsea job when it comes up .....why not
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yorkieandy »

I'll correct that. My Barnsley season ticket holder mate says that Cowley dismissed the notion of becoming new Tykes boss and said he wasn't interested. He wasn't actually offered the job but when asked about it in the media he ruled himself out.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 19:56 Surprised but pleasantly surprised.

Not much loyalty these days and refreshing to see.

Unless he is eyeing up chelsea job when it comes up .....why not
Not really surprised myself. Barnsley are one point above relegation zone and return to league one. Lincoln are only six points from promotion. Whatever happens this season it has been a very successful return to league football for Lincoln.