Torquay United v Sutton United - 20/02/18

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't profess to know anything about National League South but I have started watching a few of the highlights seeing as we are going to be joining them next season.

I havn't watched a lot but to me the standard looks a million miles away from the NL.

Taking Truro as an example (who are somehow in the play offs) in their most recent match against Oxford City Gerring scored with a header. But in every game they appear to have no defence whatsoever with opposition players having the freedom of the pitch to repeatedly waltz through a non existent backline.

If you take Truro as a yardstick given their position the standard most be bloody awful. I'm not for one minute suggesting that we would walk that league particularly with the likes of Fat Harrop and Co running the show.

But surely if we actually had a decent manager etc we should be challenging. If we were doing well I don't think our support would decrease much.

However god knows what sort of playing squad we will end up with.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Owers doesnt have the players to play 4-4-2 . I dont think he wants to play 3-5-2 and I am sure he wont next
season. You need hard working wide players who track back and can get forward and do damage eg Zebroski
and Carlisle. Presumably he hasnt been able to get those sort of players and luxury players like Gosling are not
the answer, and Reid cant play that role effectively
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 10:26 nice one mate.
see you there!

Whatever happens in going to enjoy myself at Chester. If nothing else celebrate the good memory I have ....defo coming just depends if I'm driving or train. Assume you boys being having a beer or 2.

You never know might win every game up to that one and make it a little exciting .....i doubt it
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Gulliball wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 00:47 The Owers interview is pretty bleak reading. He can tell after 3 games that a referee is not good enough for this level, but when you've selected 33 different players in 24 league games, it does leave open the question about why he hasn't got the same level of judgement about players, especially when he has personally signed more than half of those 33, before you even include the players he inherited - and more than half of his starting line up tonight was players he inherited.
Spot on Gulliball. Talk about deflecting the blame, Lets chastise the referee, that will keep the wolves at bay. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43139485

This is really getting embarrassing!

Mr Owers please stop claiming you cannot understand how something happened and that it was definitely not your fault. There's plenty of indicators of what has and may occur during your tenure and signs of what is to come.

For example, you made your grand entry after our seventh defeat of the season , bottom of the NL table and eight points adrift of safety, and you have subsequently, keep us in the relegation zone and now nine points from safety, having played at least one more game than all our relegation rivals. What is to come? Regional football, that's what Mr Owers!

Mr Owers stop looking for scapegoats. It's time to Man Up and Take Responsibility!
Last edited by MellowYellow on 21 Feb 2018, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

desperado wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:05Owers doesnt have the players to play 4-4-2 . I dont think he wants to play 3-5-2 and I am sure he wont next season.
Management of resources and coaching is all about devising a system to the players available more than recruiting the players for a system at this level. So we have one manager trying to play 3-5-2 with a squad that was asembled by a predecessor who preferred 4-4-2 ~ recipe for disaster in my opinion.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

But last nights team wasnt assembled by Nicholson, only Young, McGinty and Davis were not signed
by Owers. Anyway you can get too wrapped up in systems, we lost last night because of not taking a good chance
and by defensive errors which will happen with any system, not because of the referee, though he has been on all
occasions this season been absolutely shocking
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Should have said only Young McGinty Davis were Nicholsons players
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was shocked - yes, shocked - to see that the crowd was just over 1300. With 70 or so away supporters this means that just about 1200 United fans turned up. How many of those were season-ticket holders, I wonder. I fear for next year, for in the NL(S) I doubt many will buy season tickets; 500 average a game|?
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:54 But last nights team wasnt assembled by Nicholson, only Young, McGinty and Davis were not signed
by Owers. Anyway you can get too wrapped up in systems, we lost last night because of not taking a good chance
and by defensive errors which will happen with any system, not because of the referee, though he has been on all
occasions this season been absolutely shocking
Efete and Dowling and (sub) Keating were not signed by Owers.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Seen the highlights. Shocking defending for their first goal and an abyssmal header from Mcginty for their second.

As for the penalty - well looks like their player has chucked himself to the ground to me.

I don't think the referee is in a good position to give that decision as Davies is almost obscured from his view and would have been better off consulting with the lineman.

Normally tell by the players reaction and clearly Davies doesn't think he has committed a foul.

Why is Gary Owers playing at centre half for us? - or is that Conrad Minestrone, he looks older than I am.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

brucie wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:16 Seen the highlights. Shocking defending for their first goal and an abyssmal header from Mcginty for their second.

As for the penalty - well looks like their player has chucked himself to the ground to me.

I don't think the referee is in a good position to give that decision as Davies is almost obscured from his view and would have been better off consulting with the lineman.

Normally tell by the players reaction and clearly Davies doesn't think he has committed a foul.

Why is Gary Owers playing at centre half for us? - or is that Conrad Minestrone, he looks older than I am.
thats what you had to do all evening to get a foul from Mr Allison,

Owers is correct, its a terrible game whenever he officiates, the bloke is clueless

Begs the question of Davis, after all that happened in the game with his poor refereeing skills, why put yourself in that position

Edit - just seen the miss by Barnes again, how costly that could be :@
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

to return to the point made about Terell Thomas winding up the Popside after the game...the w****r gesticulating down & smirking & celebrating...I e mailed Sutton when I got home about the incident;I'm not holding my breath, but if I get a response I'll post it. The stewards told me that they'd 'radio-ed the incident in' (whatever that means). Parts of the match were enjoyable to watch,& the Popside atmosphere was very good (contributed to by a variety of drummers).Amazing that TUFC retains this level of support; but, oh the devastation when the glimmer of hope is erased.....
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Re Balatoni Brucie, you are probably quicker than him too - think he is supposed to be 28
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Sorry just turned 27 !
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

wivelgull wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:01 I was shocked - yes, shocked - to see that the crowd was just over 1300. With 70 or so away supporters this means that just about 1200 United fans turned up. How many of those were season-ticket holders, I wonder. I fear for next year, for in the NL(S) I doubt many will buy season tickets; 500 average a game|?
Yes Wivel, we should think ourselves lucky that as many as that turned up, look Aldershot's attendance last night, it was less than half of that on Saturday and they couldn't even manage 2,000 when they started the evening in second place.

Oh, and p.s. for those who like gallows humour, I suppose we had better start dusting off our "You dirty southern b......d" chants for that Duchy team. These, of course were reserved for Argyle in the past but as they could be five levels above us next season they won't otherwise be used for some time to come