5 favourite/best players since watching TUFC

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

madgull wrote:Just imagine...

OLEJNIK

WOODS BRANSTON HAZELL

HOCKLEY

BRANDON RUSSELL O'KANE HILL

GRAHAM JACK

Bench: SOUTHALL, TAYLOR, CANOVILLE, MANSELL, FOWLER, KUFFOUR, SHARPE (just for the player he became, and cos I couldn't think of any wingers for the bench!)
I'd stick in Watson for Hazell, Mansell for Hockley and Zebs for Hilly, in that strange formation.

Any all-time lineup of mine would include Gibbs and Gurney. Incredible solidity and offensive threat on both flanks.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
lexusguy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by lexusguy »

David Graham
Dave Caldwell
Rodney Jack
Alex Russell
Mark Loram
sam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: downes

Post by sam »

Have to go with Jimmy Dunne, add Robin Stubbs, Alex Russell, Kevin Hill and the top one for me, Colin Bettany, the Beast of Plainmoor. Mark Loram would be the sub.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

I agree with jonnyfive here. The back four of Gibbs, Gurney, Watson and Gittens was suberb. If Bobby had been in that team we'd have gone up as champions. Steve MacCall was also incredible that season, and obviously Rodney Jack and Andy Mac up top, with Jason Roberts for a couple months. We had goals from everywhere that year. I think Gibbs and Gurney both scored 10 from full back.

Scarborough home is my fave ever home game, and Orient away, despite losing and being gutted, was a great away day. I didnt touch the ground all game, it was rocking!!
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

Post by DTG »

Rodders for destroying Scarborough in an amazing night at Plainmoor.
Dobbo for that goal V Crewe.
Deardon for making an unbelievable save that was world class when he somehow scooped a ball out from behind him in Gordon Banks style.
Zippy for being a TUFC legend.
I can't get a fag paper between loads of others but Beds, Dave Caldwell, The Dude, Steve Cooper, Willie Brown, Greg Goodridge, Sillsy......................
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote:I agree with jonnyfive here. The back four of Gibbs, Gurney, Watson and Gittens was suberb. If Bobby had been in that team we'd have gone up as champions. Steve MacCall was also incredible that season, and obviously Rodney Jack and Andy Mac up top, with Jason Roberts for a couple months. We had goals from everywhere that year. I think Gibbs and Gurney both scored 10 from full back.

Scarborough home is my fave ever home game, and Orient away, despite losing and being gutted, was a great away day. I didnt touch the ground all game, it was rocking!!
Yeah, Leroy's team was great but that team under Kevin Hodges is definitely my favourite ever Torquay side. Although the back four was actually a back 3 or 5 with Jamie Robinson as a third centre half and Gibbs and Gurney pushed forwards as wing-backs. Jack and Roberts is still the best front pairing I have seen in this division by a country mile, absolutely unplayable!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Youre right Jerry, I forgot about Robinson. If memory serves me right, we won 8 on the bounce that year. If Roberts had stayed til the end we'd have gone up 100%

Ive got the Scarborough game highlights on video at my old dears, have to dig it out next time Im there.
The Farmers Friend
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by The Farmers Friend »

Favourite rather than best:

Steve Cooper - Hero from my formative years of support. Had the pleasure of interviewing him for the mag we did in the 2003/4 promotion season and he was an absolute gent - even treated Richard Hughes, Marcus Davies and myself to free food at his pub.

Neville Southall - Goalkeeping genius obviously, but I also loved his cranky eccentricity.

Martin Gritton - Good rather than great player, but an intelligent and very sound bloke off the pitch.

Kevin Hill - Say no more.

Chris Hargreaves - Mr 110%. Great leader and a model pro.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Brilliant, thanks Jerry. Great times!!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Why do I get the feeling all the contributors to this thread are under ten? (except Brucie).

1. Robin Stubbs (by a million miles)
2. John Smith
3. Mark Loram (notice how even the young 'uns go for him)
4. Tommy Northcott
5. Colin Bettany
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

I must apologise for not being born earlier Wivel.

I did see Loram play but wasnt really old enough to appreciate ability back then.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Stubbs
Loram
Russell
Graham
Saunders/Elliot
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

As well as having some terrible players we have had some really good ones as well. Terry Adlington,Reg Wyatt,Billy Kitchener.Tommy Mitchinson (what a midfield player he was),John Bond,John Benson,Micky Cave(had the hardest shot I have ever seen),Jimmy Dunne,Tony Scott - dazzling feet.
Most of these were playing when I started going when I was five years old - thats 52 years ago.
Its impossible to name the best player really but for me Mark Loram on his day was as good as any of them. A tragic waste of talent really but he had skill to burn. I can remember Loram coming back on loan to us from qpr as he couldn't settle. Played on a Tuesday night at Plainmoor in the middle of winter - played as a central striker. It was blowing a force 9 gale and bucketing downn. Loram was unplayable.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Some great names in that list, Brucie. Tommy Mitchinson ..... class player. I'd also add Ken Brown to your list. I (and I suspect wivelgull !!) can go back even further than you. Back to the days when Eric Webber was manager. I'd add Dennis Lewis, Don Mills, Sammy Collins and Ron Shaw to the list. Wonder how they would have got on in the modern game? Colin Bettany was a fans favourite but he would have been booked every game ..... !!