Torquay United v York City - 5/10/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Although I shall be going to the game I appreciate brucie's point of view. I am not sure where he lives but, reading between the lines in his posts, I think it is further away than Wiveliscombe. It can be a nice day out, or it can be a real trial - especially if (as is often the case these days) you walk away from Plainmoor thoroughly fed up and with at least an hour and a half's drive ahead of you. Nevertheless I think we may win tomorrow (rather optimistically I am going for 3-1).
An earlier post of mine concerning a past York City game seems to have become lost in the ether; it concerned one of the funniest-ever Plainmoor moments and it was during a York City game. It was in 1964 and the York 'keeper had booted the ball upfield. One of our midfielders, John Spencer (I bet no-one remembers him) was strolling back towards his goal when the ball hit him on the back of the head. The crowd saw this coming and shouted last-second warnings; they were ignored, however, and the hapless Spencer received a hefty whack on the back of his head, to the great amusement of the crowd.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

brucie wrote:Wouldn't mind going to this one actually - with a couple of new players and Ryan Jarvis playing. This sould be a decent game.
However I am continuing my self enforced exile until results and the standard of football improves. Anyone know what Teignmouth Town are like by the way as I shall be watching themn tomorrow.

I don't see why you would consider not going to watch the club you support after only 9 games Brucie. I agree with you in the sense that fans shouldn't be held to ransom by clubs when the clubs take no responsibility for the standard of the product on offer. I'm not one of these fans who advocates go and watch Torquay regardless, I personally would watch Torquay regardless although Ling came as close as anyone to changing this. I can accept losing each week but I cannot accept the same style or standard of performance each week as it becomes monotonous and dull and not entertaining.

Ling churned it out incessantly and I wouldn't have blamed anyone for not going mid way through last season, even the players took the p*ss a bit IMO but we're only 9 or 10 games in to Knill's first season. Give him until the last third of the season and if you are still unhappy at the lack of progress in terms of entertainment then stop going then. I am prepared to give a manager a chance to shake things up if they aren't working (something Ling failed to do week in week out week in week out ) but if they can't see the light then I don't see why as fans we should be in the dark.

Give Knill time Brucie and if he still knocks out awful turgidity (most weeks - it is important to stress this so that one doesn't look fickle ) then stop going. There is no reason why we shouldn't play well most weeks and lose like there is no reason we SHOULD play crap every week and lose.

Keep the faith Brucie, rest assured if Knill 'does a Ling' then fans will be voting with their feet again soon enough and Knill will be looking for a new job. I'm sure Alan knows that but he may have temporarily forgotten. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

wivelgull wrote:Although I shall be going to the game I appreciate brucie's point of view. I am not sure where he lives but, reading between the lines in his posts, I think it is further away than Wiveliscombe. It can be a nice day out, or it can be a real trial - especially if (as is often the case these days) you walk away from Plainmoor thoroughly fed up and with at least an hour and a half's drive ahead of you. Nevertheless I think we may win tomorrow (rather optimistically I am going for 3-1).
An earlier post of mine concerning a past York City game seems to have become lost in the ether; it concerned one of the funniest-ever Plainmoor moments and it was during a York City game. It was in 1964 and the York 'keeper had booted the ball upfield. One of our midfielders, John Spencer (I bet no-one remembers him) was strolling back towards his goal when the ball hit him on the back of the head. The crowd saw this coming and shouted last-second warnings; they were ignored, however, and the hapless Spencer received a hefty whack on the back of his head, to the great amusement of the crowd.
Yeah, you're not the only one fed up of the football at Plainmoor these days.
I miss turning up in the 70s, when we won 6-0 every week, were playing expensive football which was the envy of Liverpool and Arsenal, we got top billing on Match of the Day and would be priced as short as 1/1000 at the start of the season to win the FA Cup/European Cup double. I miss turning down eight-figure sums for our sought-after superstars and having at least a dozen matches a year postponed because of international matches.

Alternatively, we've spent 99% of our existence in the 4th division, once dropping into the non-league where we dominated and once going into Division 3 where we were roundly thrashed.

The standard of football we play now is exactly the same as the standard of football we have always played. As nice as it is to believe otherwise, you believe different only because you have forgotten all the boring 0-0 draws with York and Burton and you only remember the 5-1 hammerings of the era. We all do it. I look back fondly at the Conference years because all I remember is beating Aldershot 3-0 away in week 2. I always conveniently forget the 0-0 trudgefest against Grays from the week before.

It happens in all elements of life. Ask anyone old enough and they'll tell you that London in the early forties was a wonderful place. No traffic, everything cost tuppence and kids were polite to old ladies or a copper would give them a clip round the ear. Sounds idyllic, until you recall that you had to spend every night in a tin box in the garden for fear of inadvertently sharing your bed with a 1000lb bomb and that you had to eat your own legs in order to circumvent starvation level rationing.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

cor blimey, its been really quiet today. wouldnt think there was actually a match on tomorrow!

anyway, going for 3-1 to our brave warriors in yellow and blue (and white :@ ). :-D

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Tell me about it mate. It's the apathy thing again I reckon, it's catching. Does nobody have an opinion on the game then?

I went 1-1 but in light of further defensive problems we'll not get anything from this game and a tough, long season awaits.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

Well, I'm going, back in the UK again, just the odd mile over 10,100....! (One way)

Not sure what to expect after reading the posts on here? If it's half as good as my last visit - 3 - 3 v Bristol Rovers last match, last season I'll be happy

Just checked into the hotel in Torquay, yep I might be back on business (again) and I don't have to drive to Torquay from London/Bristol, but I do cause it's Torquay, my home town team, and always will be, so everyone, get a grip, it's Torquay FFS what do you expect??

Oh, 3 - 2 to us, but don't ask me who will score
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

AdelaideGull wrote:Well, I'm going, back in the UK again, just the odd mile over 10,100....! (One way)

Not sure what to expect after reading the posts on here? If it's half as good as my last visit - 3 - 3 v Bristol Rovers last match, last season I'll be happy

Just checked into the hotel in Torquay, yep I might be back on business (again) and I don't have to drive to Torquay from London/Bristol, but I do cause it's Torquay, my home town team, and always will be, so everyone, get a grip, it's Torquay FFS what do you expect??

Oh, 3 - 2 to us, but don't ask me who will score

Lots of York players :lol:

Basically if we win this game I will buy a lucky dip lottery ticket for next Saturday and send them out to the first 5 people that say i'm insane but love Torquay. I have to stand by my convictions and there is no way we can keep them out with our defensive issues. That means we need to score 2 or 3 even and I can't see it. So please post on here if you are interested and the first 5 will get a free lotto ticket (£2 now you know! :@ ) if we beat York. Can't say fairer than that.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

By the way the Schwarzenegger films which I feel was me trying to flog a dead horse are PREDATOR, RED HEAT, TWINS, RUNNING MAN, RAW DEAL and the last I've forgotten and can't be arsed to look up.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:
The standard of football we play now is exactly the same as the standard of football we have always played. As nice as it is to believe otherwise, you believe different only because you have forgotten all the boring 0-0 draws with York and Burton and you only remember the 5-1 hammerings of the era.

Matt.
No - not wholly true, Matt. Whilst I agree that us old duffers easily fall into the trap of remembering past seasons through rose-coloured glasses, the football played under Frank O'Farrell, Cyril Knowles, Kevin Hodges and Leroy Rosenior was way above the standard we have witnessed this season so far, and way, way more entertaining.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

tomogull wrote: No - not wholly true, Matt. Whilst I agree that us old duffers easily fall into the trap of remembering past seasons through rose-coloured glasses, the football played under Frank O'Farrell, Cyril Knowles, Kevin Hodges and Leroy Rosenior was way above the standard we have witnessed this season so far, and way, way more entertaining.
Indeed. What an irrational and frankly stupid comment from Ferrarilover. We have always played the same quality of football, throughout our century-plus existence? Perhaps if he'd followed our fortunes for more than ten minutes, he'd have a basis for comparison.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The referee will be Michael Naylor, who hails from South Yorkshire, so he should be reasonably impartial (he usually is)...

Over his career he has received mixed ratings from fans, presumably depending mainly on whether their teams have won or lost. He has averaged two yellow cards a game, red cards are very rare, and he has awarded very few penalties. On the rare occasions I've seen his games, he has done OK, as I remember..
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yes, a south Yorkshire referee. Should be fair, honest, hunky and very intelligent like many of us from that area are. :nod: :lol:

I've had a bet on York to win and got nearly 5/2 so it should pay for my Scarborough weekend. I hate to do this but there is just no way we will be keeping a clean sheet today IMO, Jarvis HAS TO SCORE, and we won't score more than 1 even if we do so , they come off the back of a confidence boosting win against Pompey and we have massive defensive problems and still not convincing up top. It all points to a nailed on away win for me.

Azeez could get us some joy but if we are heavily reliant on a short term loanee to get us going then we could be in trouble (although Labadie proved it can be done even at the worst of times).

As for the free lotto ticket offer, forget I mentioned it. I can't really be arsed if truth be told. I'm confident York will win and I don't really need to be trying prove my point by offering stupid freebies. It is just my opinion based on everything I see it as a whole.

As usual if I am proved wrong and the lads drum up a resounding performance and get the result then i'm perfectly happy coming on and giving praise and admitting I got it wrong (not tonight though as I shall be in a caravan by the north sea partaking in ales ). Hey, what is life if you can't stick your neck out? There would be no giraffes for a start.

2-0 York

Jarvis to score one. :'(

COYY!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Lets hope Knill and co don't bother reading this otherwise they might as well not turn up. York are below us for a reason at the moment, so it isn't as if they're worldbeaters.

For what it's worth, Pearce will have Jarvo in his pocket all day long, and I go for a 2-1, Azeez and Bodin.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Going for torquay 3-2 win.
Were due a penalty, so reckon Hawley to score 1, Ball and Pearce to score.
Jarvis get on the scoresheet for york.

Although not crucial, we need to really win this one, get the points on the board. I cant believe the lack of faith in Knill, he kept us up and has signed some good players. Hugely better than last season already.
If we did have Rene, Jarvis and Saah to compliment what we have , then we would have an excellent squad!
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

madgull wrote:First game of the season for me.

First time in the Bench. (After this, will be trying to get semi-regularly back on the popside to actually make some noise happen, used to love it back in the days when I had money!)

First time in about ten years that I'll be sat with my dad at a football match.

First team that we played at home in my first full season as a fan, and the first I didn't see us lose to (my previous was a 3-0 drubbing by Chester!)
Yeah, I'll quote myself. What are you gonna do about it?

I've got that wonderful knot of nervous excitement in my stomach. I always get it, without fail, on the morning of a match, ever since I first started coming as a kid. It seems a lot of fans on here don't have that any more, which I think is a shame, it's one of the joys of going to watch football. In a struggling season, will this be the day that we grab that desperate point against a much better team? Or is this the day that we smash three past our nearest rivals for a playoff spot? It's always been there, no matter what our situation.

Having not seen the new players in action yet, I am extra excited to see how they do, I hope that when I get home I can offer an opinion untainted by watching a player perform like a donkey for weeks, it seems a lot of the time players get poor ratings just because they're 'always rubbish', regardless of how they actually played that match. Found out I'm right at the top of the bench, will be odd to watch a match from so high up (for Torquay, anyway).

From what I've heard of us, we've played well in a lot of games but just seem desperately poor in front of goal, although with Azeez seeming like an exciting prospect, the 'both teams score and result' section is looking VERY tempting......

I'm going to be optimistic (I want to see goals, and we've won the last three matches I've been to) and say 3-2 to the good guys, with Jarvis (naturally!) scoring a very messy, but effective goal. Bodin to score a worse one (thinking of his goal against Barnet.)

If anybody sees a big long-haired guy wandering about/at the back of the bench looking lost/excited/possibly with his dad, say hi! ;-)