Rene Howe

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I don't give a **** about Rene, I don't know him, so can't say whether he's a nice bloke or not, but the fact remains that he's a dreadful, dreadful footballer who, would you believe it, has a worse record this year than Karl Hawley.

Not really sure how many clubs he'll have to dive at before people here will accept that he had one purple patch and knocked in some pens.
Despite his servere limitations as a player, even Tim Sills got more goals than Rene. Genuinely a triumph of McDonald's over talent.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't give a **** about Rene, I don't know him, so can't say whether he's a nice bloke or not, but the fact remains that he's a dreadful, dreadful footballer who, would you believe it, has a worse record this year than Karl Hawley.

Not really sure how many clubs he'll have to dive at before people here will accept that he had one purple patch and knocked in some pens.
Despite his servere limitations as a player, even Tim Sills got more goals than Rene. Genuinely a triumph of McDonald's over talent.

Matt.
Totally agree, he wasnt as good as people made out. But..... I do think he was better than Hawley, but he also had a bad attitude and got sent off too many times.
TUST MEMBER
KentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence's Afro

Post by KentGull »

Neal wrote: Totally agree, he wasnt as good as people made out. But..... I do think he was better than Hawley, but he also had a bad attitude and got sent off too many times.
I'M better than Hawley! :lol:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't give a **** about Rene, I don't know him, so can't say whether he's a nice bloke or not, but the fact remains that he's a dreadful, dreadful footballer who, would you believe it, has a worse record this year than Karl Hawley.

Despite his servere limitations as a player, even Tim Sills got more goals than Rene. Genuinely a triumph of McDonald's over talent. Matt.
He's only got a worse record than Hawley 'cos he hasn't played ! I haven't checked how many league games each has played but Rene has been out of favour at Burton for months. However - I'm not sorry he's gone to Newport instead of returning to Plainmoor. It will be interesting to see how long he lasts there.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

ferrarilover wrote:I don't give a **** about Rene, I don't know him, so can't say whether he's a nice bloke or not, but the fact remains that he's a dreadful, dreadful footballer

Matt.
Of course you don't, you little drip. And in no way are your views on Rene blinkered, wishful nonsense. Wipe away your smudged mascara.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I wonder how many of Jonnyfive's 586 posts aren't a blatant attack on Matt....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
TeenageGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Chris Zebroski

Post by TeenageGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I wonder how many of Jonnyfive's 586 posts aren't a blatant attack on Matt....
That wasnt blatant at all .....
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Neal wrote: Totally agree, he wasnt as good as people made out. But..... I do think he was better than Hawley, but he also had a bad attitude and got sent off too many times.

When Rene first came to Torquay, he was great. The latter-day Rene? Not so good. Unless he was standing in front of the goal and the ball was plonked down at his feet, he did bugger all.
TUST member 203
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Rene was good at what his limited ability allowed him to do, use his physical presence to bully defenders, score a few very good goals, and some penalties. He also had a very short fuse, got sent off and booked for stupid and reckless challenges and got himself in trouble because his mouth worked harder than his body.

Newport are welcome to him.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

nickfrench82 wrote:Rene was good at what his limited ability allowed him to do, use his physical presence to bully defenders, score a few very good goals, and some penalties. He also had a very short fuse, got sent off and booked for stupid and reckless challenges and got himself in trouble because his mouth worked harder than his body.

Newport are welcome to him.
One of the best players coming deep and receiving the ball from either our midfield or defence.
Good distributor and linkup man. If he had more energy he would be a terrific ,ball winning, midfielder. Howe ever, not to be.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Think some are being a bit harsh on Rene here. He had excellent close control, and a surprising turn of pace when it came to it. He knew where the goal was, and you could trust him to score a penalty (how I'd have preferred him to step up against Exeter the other day!). Unfortunately, the guy's attitude lets him down, and that'll stop him doing anything serious in his career.

I just feel that some are being harsh - he wasn't a dreadful footballer at all, he just had a dreadful attitude.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Totally agree Nick. Howe was good for us. For a big man had a lovely touch, good pace, was very good at hold up play and bringing others into the game, and had a deft finish on him. To say he is a bad footballer is absurd and makes me question whether some people on here have actually played the game! All season we've been crying out for someone like Howe so let's no pretend he wouldn't improve our front line and play. Yes, poor attitude and terrible disciplinary record but at least he put himself about and made things happen as well. I hope he turns his career around but he may be a journeyman that fails to settle anywhere and probably had his best time with us. I know many an opposition fan that feared him and would comment about how much of a threat he was for us
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not sure how anyone can doubt Howe's ability at this level. He's a talented player, scored a few goals and led the line well. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't lazy, he just had a languid style. And it's hardly surprising his performances fell away last season - like anyone else would, I expect he got tired of playing on his own.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Since he signed for Peterborough in 2007, he has played 231 games and scored 64 goals. 1 goal every 3.6 games. Most at this level, some with Rushden and also Lincoln City at a lower level. He's not a good player, but a very average one who like Matt said, had a good spell. He's limited due to his attitude, and his discipline is awful.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

We've had far, far wosre over the years.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."