Part Time

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Part Time

Post by Neal »

Listened to someone from FC Halifax on Talksport today.

They went bust as we all know and came back as part time. Not doing too badly are they for a part time club currently in 8th.

Was an interesting interview, actually I think she was something to do with the supporters club. She said a lot of the staff were volunteers although they do have some full time, but it didn't sound like many. Their supporters are not involved with ownership but it sounded like they participate in the running of the club and get involved. She had a lot of praise for their manager who she said got a heck of a lot out of the players / resources he has at his disposal.

Heres a question. How many of the clubs in the Conference are part time?

I would guess 14.

I would also be interested in a league table of players budgets in the Conference. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the top 6. Given the above (and if Im right) we have underperformed very badly. There is just no other way to view it.

On the other hand the top 3 are full time, so being full time does massively improve the probability of success in this league. Has any part time club ever been promoted out of this league?
TUST MEMBER
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

wow. are you a little out of touch. only 8 teams are part time in the confernence at present. Chester. Southport. Telford. Nuneaton. Braintree. Welling United.Alfreton and Altrincham. all the others are full time.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

FC Halifax are, they said so on Talksport on Saturday.

So you are too!
TUST MEMBER
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I didn't think Dover & Dartford were fulltime, and there was also talk about Woking being part-time when we played them, although I was unsure about that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Fc Halifax, Dover and Dartford are 'all' part-time clubs. Woking went full time in 2003, however reverted to part-time status at the end 2009/10 season and are still part-time, bit of guess but I make it, that are 13 part-time clubs in the conference, try and find out some more later.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Woking and eastleigh are both part time but have bigger budgets than us.

I looked at the league table on Tuesday night and I think we have the 8th or 9th biggest budget, depending on whether you think wrexham have more or less money that us.

Bristol, Barnet, Grimsby, Woking, eastleigh, fgr, Gateshead and maybe wrexham.

Even without the parachute payment, I wouldn't imagine our position would change.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I thought that we had a competitive budget? Full time squad on part time wages?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

The team we started with distorts that figure somewhat though

Dawson and Geugeun aren't getting paid, Ives is on a youth contract will be peanuts if anything and Campbell is on loan.

If Harding, cruise, Tonge, Benyon, Pearce and Chapell had started that would be significantly higher.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Before I have a view on this topic could somebody post a table itemising in one column what a full-time player's typical week is and another column showing what a part-time footballer does.
I understand that part-time players invariably have another job what how different are the training commitments for instance? Is it true a full-time player at Torquay trains four mornings a week with Wednesday off after a Tuesday match? Is it true that a side like Braintree train three mornings/evenings a week?
What exactly are the differences between the two? Is there in fact a huge difference or is it becoming almost like for like? Please enlighten me!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well this relates to Telford a club who beat us home and away. http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28944071.app

EDIT. Welling. http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/sport/ ... dule-1762/
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

That's right. £375 average means £4125 total. Take out the five players that are earning a few hundred between them and the other 6 are on pretty standard wages for a club our size. He had the opportunity to pick a more expensive side, so this is his own doing.

It is slightly worrying though that the manager is obviously really feeling the pressure. The fans know the situation the club is in, as do the owners. 16th and with a chance of relegation in March is well under par for the budget he's working with. The pressure he's under has been growing as the results have been getting worse and worse. Six wins since September will put a manager under pressure, and he should acknowledge that he is responsible for his fair share of it.

I still think he should have another summer to make his mark on the team and improve where needed, but our under-performance this season cannot just be totally written off.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

kevgull wrote:I thought that we had a competitive budget? Full time squad on part time wages?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018669
Not impressed with the Manager's soundbite, here. All designed to make him look better than he is, of course, (and we know he's not including Bowman but including Dawson/Gueguen etc.) but not the sort of headline the Club needs. Hargreaves maybe, but not the Club.

I dont expect Thea (millions) or anyone else who has put 100's of thousands in will have been too impressed either.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

royalgull wrote:The team we started with distorts that figure somewhat though

Dawson and Geugeun aren't getting paid, Ives is on a youth contract will be peanuts if anything and Campbell is on loan.

If Harding, cruise, Tonge, Benyon, Pearce and Chapell had started that would be significantly higher.
It does distort the figures, true, but it shows what HE has had to work with and recruit with.

Bear in mind that he didn't sign any of the above, so he didn't get to agree the wages they are paid.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest everything CH has said in public over the last week smacks of a manager who either knows or suspects his time is up. Heard a similar line peddled to Dave Thomas' podcast last week, it's full on grade one nonsense, ok if you can offer £1000 a week you might attract better players but that's meaningless look at FGR a club with their budget should have been promoted to the league 2 seasons ago, should walked away with it this term and haven't.

It does not matter a jot if you offer a young lad released by a League 1 club £200 a week to keep his professional career alive and try and build on it at Torquay, that player has the choice to say no and take the Seabright option, if he's says yes, the player should perform to his best every week, if he isn't their something wrong with his mentality and the guidance he's receiving from the manager, to say we cant compete/perform because our players are on cheap, is just excuse making to the point I'd say CH is pathetic.

Try to stop blaming your players all the time, and say sorry for Braintree home.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I, and I guess others, would argue all of our players are part-time

Many "professional" players I have known over the years are bored for most of the time. Even when taking into account long away trips, this certainly is not a standard 40 to 45 hour a week job..