Torquay United v Barrow 3/2/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 11:47 There will be nothing to celebrate. If we survive it is just going to be more of the same next season and it will remain like that as long as we have an owner who cares sod all for the club.
I also agree with this 100%. If we survive then it's simply another season of being ignored by the owners and being offered up dire football by a succession of dire footballers. The only saving grace could be is that if for some reason CO decides to sell the club. Highly unlikely but easier to do if you are selling a NL club instead of a NLS one. I just feel that if the club are relegated to the NLS then i really don't see any way back for the club in terms of becoming again what it once was ie a football league club. Once we've dropped to NLS then the level is found and over time accepted and all ambition and hope to recover former glories is extinguished for the foreseeable future.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Back to the game and if you get chance have a look at the highlights and see two of the best goals seen at Plainmoor in quite a while (not difficult I guess as there haven’t been that many!) but the second by Dowling was like the Gaza goal against Scotland in Euro 96 when he flicked it over a player and volley into the net (no dentist chair celebration this time though!!) and the third was just like Liverpool or Man City at their best with a 10 second counter attack finished off with a ‘simple’ tap in for Luke Young. Brilliant
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Yorkieandy wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 19:09 [highlight=yellow]I think i may have to revise my thoughts about the Macclesfield point[/highlight]. It could end up being a good point like you say Dave. I was just wanting to see 3 points really as i felt we needed them depserately even allowing for the fact that we were playing top of the league away. So i was harsh, it was a creditable performance and perhaps gave the players encouragement that helped towards today's win.

As for Barrow, there is a lot of concern on their forum about the standard of the team and they aren't happy at all with the performance today as you might expect. They don't rate Torquay much either. Also some speculation about the intentions of their owner with some suspicious that he's going to do a runner and leave them in the brown stuff.

What with Chester, Hartlepool and now concerns at Barrow maybe we will be saved in the end through bad fortune for another club?

Interesting developments at the foot of the NL.
I think you should (and have) as it was a good point after going one down in view of previous experiences regarding confidence.
TBH Macc weren't that good and we did play well.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Very pleasing display yesterday by the whole team.

Elliott Romain was outstanding but the really good thing was we played with conviction and more confidence.

Next 3 games will define our season. Maidenhead away Daggers and Sutton at Home.Take 7 points from 9 and we will have a chance.

Gary Owers at last has a team that look like they can compete and vitally players who actually think we can survive IF we play with conviction. COYY.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 11:47 There will be nothing to celebrate. If we survive it is just going to be more of the same next season and it will remain like that as long as we have an owner who cares sod all for the club.
Forget the last few seasons escaping relegation. You're telling me that you wouldn't celebrate if we managed to stay up this season given our current position in the table.
Lucy
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Anyone know where highlights can be found?
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Youtube
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yes - a vital win yesterday that gives us a glimmer of hope. It's the hope that kills, as Louis posts. The first half was dire - two very poor sides. But as soon as we scored, the confidence seemed to surge through the team and we actually started playing as a team and looking good as well. Luke Young's goal from a great move involving Dowling and Efete (surely strong contenders for Player of the Season?) was worth the entrance fee alone.

Yesterday's side with two strikers at last - I think Elliott Romain and Brett Williams could form a decent partnership - and Barnes bolstering the midfield could cause a few upsets. But - there had to be a but - Barrow looked a poor side. We will be better able to judge this new-look side when we come up against Dagenham & Redbridge and Sutton over the next few weeks.
filigull1
Trialist
Trialist

Post by filigull1 »

Although it's practically for me to attend any match ( live in The Philippines), I still follow the "Gulls" and look for their results everytime they play.I have watched the highlights of the Torquay vs Barrow ( Youtube ) and the goal that stood out the most was G.Dowling's goal, but that doesn't mean to say that the other 2 were not good and also having watched the video replay a few times, one of Barrow's players SHOULD have been sent off for the nasty challenge ( their n025 I think). Should have been a straight red and not just a booking, but thats my opinion
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Just watched the video: bloke in crowd goes mad after third goal 5.26 - 5.46.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

He wasn't the only one, yours truly did some jigs as well, my missus laughed her head off when she saw the highlights.

I've run the Barrow version and ours separately and although they edited out the attempt to lift Williams into the family stand by their defender their commentary was even handed. Every time I look at that third goal it gets better.