Easter Monday, Torquay v Woking, 2/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Do you actually think that Owers would have had Klukowski on the bench today if he had any other choice?

No doubt given the choice he would have had Dowling/O'Sullivan but its another problem he has to contend with due to the number of loanees he has been forced to bring in.

Unfortunately it has taken Owers too long to get in a fit for purpose strike force but as we now seem to have three viable striking options the form seems to have turned round somewhat.

Given the head start that every other team had in the league over us 5th from bottom would be an achievement in the circumstances. Still very unlikely but its pleasing to see that we at least havn't been relegated with half a dozen games to go.
Paignton boy

Post by Paignton boy »

Good win today and I think just about deserved. I was a bit puzzled by Brett Williams performance today. He did not seem too interested and I for one thought it was right he was substituted especially when you have three ‘forwards’.You need to defend from the front and he didn’t seem interested in chasing anything. Thought when Jamie Read came on Wokings defenders seemed more harassed.
Don’t know if anyone else saw it but he also appeared to have a hissy fit during the warm up when he just booted the ball out of the ground??
But as I say and good win sealed by a cracking goal by Evans who I thought had a very good game.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

First time I ve been to a home game for 3-4 months so I was interested to see some of the players I hadn't seen before.

Firstly well done to the ground staff and volunteers for getting the game on, they really did a great job considering the rain we ve had recently.

After watching the first 10 minutes or so I saw Mcginty launch the ball into the stands twice I wondered if anything had changed at all. I thought the first half was a midfield battle that we certainly got the better of. Some good passing and movement with both Davis and Barnes having space to progress forward. The penalty was an easy decision with the referee in a good position which Williams slotted down the middle nicely.
The referee seemed happy to book players for anything. Mcginty was the first to go into the book for in my opinion a great sliding challenge. Then one of there players went into the book in front of the pop side unfairly and then you knew the cards would come out for just about anything.
Is it just me or does Gowling pull out of tackles, because that it what it appears to me.
I thought we certainly had the best of the 1st half and deserved our ht lead. I thought Young and Evans were impressive and Davis down the left looked good with Romain working hard. For a small lad he can hold his own in the air.
Woking started the better in the second period with a few good opportunities and you could see them growing into the game. During the game I wasn't convinced with Gowling or Balatoni and sure enough a mix up in defence and its 1-1.
There were plenty of corners for both sides and it was becoming a real arm wrestle. Then Williams who I thought was doing ok was subbed, he didn't seem happy to come off.
Moments later Evans picked the ball up and hit a superb strike giving the keeper no chance. From the ko Woking went right down and should of scored. There were at least 2 chances cleared off the line. Romain went down the other end and went 1on 1 with the keeper who saved well. He really should of buried that chance.
Game ends and its a very important result.
Not sure about Healey, I expected more from him. Young and Evans were excellent today. I thought Davis played well. Dorrell didn't fill me with much confidence, he looked injured and cried out in pain everytime he took a place kick and really should of looked at other alternatives.
Romain is certainly a great addition and works incredibly hard. Good player and a hell of a turn of pace.
Balatoni- Not great. Gowling-something is not right with him.
Reid, can somebody tell him that his shorts are a size too small.
Officials poor performance today.
Extremely pleased for all the yellow army today.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 18:40 It's all ifs and buts ,,,fact is we still staring firmly at the relegation hatch and instead of having to struggle through 46 odd games next season ( where there is no suggestion from me we will come back up at the first attempt ) we must try and build and carry on this momentum. Far better we put everything positive into last 7 odd games

I'm not surprised we won today and the seeing the massive efforts to actually get the game played was a master stroke by the club actually. It was a positive thing to do and allowed the reasonable good form to continue

The only thing we should be discussing about is not nicho v owers , or if owers waves to the fans , or is owers at fault , even osborne situation has to take a back step. Not forgetting about it. But the only thing we should be doing is backing the squad and hopefully encouraging the home counties fans and beyond to get to Dover and shout and support the team from the first whistle.
The positivity I've felt from good Friday has continued today and long may it do so.
Fantastic couple of wins and we need to outshout and out smart Dover

I'm feeling good
Just for reference it will be a 42 game season in Conf south. But if we are going to stay up. Owers has to prepare this team for a 6 game season. And each is a cup final. 4 wins is an absolute minimum
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

The winning goal has to be Goal of the Season.
Connor moved the ball from left to right to make room and from 22 yards got his head over the ball and boom top left corner. No goalie would have saved what was a real rocket of a shot at the perfect moment. Well done Connor and well done Gary Owers for recognising the quality that CLE is producing after a quiet start to his loan at Plainmoor.
Make no mistake this team want to win to a man and we are now the form team in the bottom 8 with 10 points from the last 5 games.
Dover lost today in the last minute and Brett will fancy scoring after his brace last season.
It is still a tough ask but it is still possible. COYY.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Sounds a great goal and wish I could have witnessed it

Hope barrow lose tomorrow and Friday off to the white cliffs and we can do this
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Lucky boy Owers!

He takes off Williams and brings on Reid, who immediately forgets what colour shirt his teammates are playing in.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Reid can't do right by some fans can he?

His first real action was to bring the ball down the right side, cut in and send a vicious cross for a defender to nearly manage the own goal of the season with the ball only just clearing the bar from a point blank header.

Alright, he did hit one high, wide and into the clock but he ran and ran in the half hour or so he was on and held the ball well when he got it.

Sorry but that's what I saw.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Well delighted I made the drive down. I've been to 3 home games in the last 3 seasons, and seen 3 wins. Not sure what all the fuss is about!!

Whilst it was hardly a classic, I actually thought it was a reasonable game, we were the better team. Young and Evans were strong in midfield. Healey and Romain quick, strong, skilful and hard working. Barnes and Davies dangerous and skilful, I thought the back 3 did ok, and everyone (except Williams) dogged and determined and when they lost the ball they fought hard to get it back.

Shame Owers couldn't get Romain, Williams and Healey a month earlier, but theres still a chance.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

gateman49 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 20:27 Reid can't do right by some fans can he?

His first real action was to bring the ball down the right side, cut in and send a vicious cross for a defender to nearly manage the own goal of the season with the ball only just clearing the bar from a point blank header.

Alright, he did hit one high, wide and into the clock but he ran and ran in the half hour or so he was on and held the ball well when he got it.

Sorry but that's what I saw.
I agree. Reid did what was needed when he came on. Also set up Romain for what should have been a third.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Also- sure there were more there than 1800?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Healey actually played a fuller role when Reid came on and showed much more promise in that period of play. Williams is a fine lower division goalscorer but he comes with his faults as well and he is far from the perfect team player a lot of the time. The ridiculous hounding of Reid and others who some see as having failed them will not help with any attempt at escape. They are genuine players and mocking them can't help anyone. There are six games to play and inevitably a big role to play for every squad member.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Kernowgull wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 20:42 Also- sure there were more there than 1800?
Not sure if it's totally true, but I was always told only paying customers through the turnstiles were counted towards the official attendance, season ticket holders & corporate guests are not accounted for, no idea why, but that's what I was told.
A long time ago I may add so it might have all changed by now
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

After watching Woking last week I thought we could win today well done to everyone especially Garry Owers your hard work is beginning to pay off. I still think Reid is ... .... ...... but lets wait and see.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Good win and performance. Should have been a lot more comfortable but we still insist on making hard
work of it by not taking decent chances and giving away stupid goals. I was thinking that was the best
game I had seen Evans play, then he caps it with that superb strike
4 wins from six and a draw may do it but its a huge ask and I cant help thinking that the next six will be a
lot tougher than Chester and Woking, with Dover , Fylde and now Ebbsfleet battling to get in the play offs