Easter Monday, Torquay v Woking, 2/4/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:14 Well, that was Brett Williams at his laziest worst. Apart from a well taken penalty, he contributed nothing to yesterday's game. There was an example in the second half - a Woking player had the ball, Williams was the nearest Gulls player but stood like a statue watching. Barnes ran past him, got in a good challenge, the ball went to a second Woking player, Barnes chased him down forcing him to make a mistake and we re-gained possession. Whilst this was going on, Williams was but a spectator. Okay - we know that he isn't going to run around like Romain or Reid, but he has to do some of the hard graft. I couldn't understand why fans clapped him off when he was rightly substituted.
During the pre-match warm up the team have a small sided keep ball exercise, during this, for no apparent reason, Williams picked the ball up and kicked it out of the ground over the Popside roof. Kuhl asked him a couple of times why he'd done it and Williams just ignored him which prompted Kuhl to spend the next couple of minutes just glaring at him. No idea what it was about but it was clear that Williams wasn't in the right frame of mind at all today.

I would agree with Teigngull though that we will need his talents if we are to get out of it this season. He has never been "on it" consistently in the time he's been here but on his day he can make the difference.
Last edited by Jerry on 03 Apr 2018, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:54 I'll say this now & I mean very single word
I do not give a flying feck if Williams parks his arse in a deckchair on the edge of the oppo's penalty box smoking a Jamaican woodbine & sipping pina coladas to his hearts content, if, somehow, he grabs the goals that keeps us in this division.
And I'm pretty darn sure the rest of you would be alright with it too.
We've been crying out for a Williams all season, we knew what he was like from before & we still castigate him, that's where Nicholson went wrong with him ( he didn't know how to get the best out of him), for feck sake let's play to his strengths & maybe just maybe he might deliver the goods.
To put it another way, if Williams was not here we'd all be crying out for a player like him to get the goals to keep us up, just like he did before.
You wouldn't ask Mo Farrah to run the 100m in the commonwealth games would you ?
And arrywithnobrain, start consuming that rather large chip on your shoulder, your becoming quite boring & predictable too.
As you post ...... if, somehow, he grabs the goals that keep us in this division. And that is the point - apart from a couple of penalties, how many goals has he scored from open play since he's been back? Is it one? He's a 'marmite' player. Just check his playing record. He moves from club to club and no manager seems to be 'able to get the best out of him'. When he's in the mood, he's a very good player. When he's not in the mood, and obviously he was not in the mood yesterday, he contributes nothing. No - i don't expect him to run 100m but I would expect him to run 10m to close down an opponent.

As for your snipe at 'Arry, he was only responding to the Forum's most boring and predictable member.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Teigngull wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:54 I'll say this now & I mean very single word
I do not give a flying feck if Williams parks his arse in a deckchair on the edge of the oppo's penalty box smoking a Jamaican woodbine & sipping pina coladas to his hearts content, if, somehow, he grabs the goals that keeps us in this division.
And I'm pretty darn sure the rest of you would be alright with it too.
We've been crying out for a Williams all season, we knew what he was like from before & we still castigate him, that's where Nicholson went wrong with him ( he didn't know how to get the best out of him), for feck sake let's play to his strengths & maybe just maybe he might deliver the goods.
To put it another way, if Williams was not here we'd all be crying out for a player like him to get the goals to keep us up, just like he did before.
You wouldn't ask Mo Farrah to run the 100m in the commonwealth games would you ?
And arrywithnobrain, start consuming that rather large chip on your shoulder, your becoming quite boring & predictable too.
Brilliant :bow:

We knew exactly what we were getting when Williams came back! His game isn’t about running around chasing balls for 90 minutes, he’s the arrogant striker that will bag goals, and I’m perfectly fine with that.

Romain does most of the leg work and Williams just sort of swans around. They compliment each other beautifully, like a knife and a fork. Chuck Healey in the mix and you have a spoon too, a perfect trio!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Think Williams may start on the bench v Dover, we cant afford to play with 10 men against them
Or he will start and get 55 minutes again. Although they missed a good chance each yesterday
I think Healey and Romain will get us goals
I also agree Efete is unlucky not to be starting lately, I like Barnes but think Efete is more effective at
bringing the ball forward. If Gowling is trying to avoid heading the ball as Merse said, he is not doing
a very good job, as Tomo says he won everthing yesterday, and Young was superb again
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

What has happened to George Dowling?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

CraigUnder wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:28 Highlights are up > http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-2849909

Great Goal from Evans but WTF is that defending after retaking the lead!!
That would be the piss poor attempt at heading the ball by Reid. One ball over the top and it’s 1-1
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Barrow drawing 1.1 at half time tonight ...really could do with them losing.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I warned about Williams just a couple of weeks ago. He'll never change which is why I reminded Arcadia about Williams character when he chose to blame the previous management for not signing him for this season. Williams will get goals but he'll never get enough to justify his lazy and indisciplined contribution to the teams efforts.

His state of mind can usually be guaged by the number of bookings he gets.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Some players are just like that , i would rather a player who was seen as lazy but could do business when presented with it. Rather than a player who covers every blade of grass but doesn't have a finish
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Barrow losing
kerswellgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by kerswellgull »

Barrow lost 1-3
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Southampton Gull wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:56 I warned about Williams just a couple of weeks ago. He'll never change which is why I reminded Arcadia about Williams character when he chose to blame the previous management for not signing him for this season. Williams will get goals but he'll never get enough to justify his lazy and indisciplined contribution to the teams efforts.

His state of mind can usually be guaged by the number of bookings he gets.
In what way? Good or bad? Lots of bookings means he's on his game and putting himself about or he's got the hump and gets booked a lot because he's a mardy arse?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

kerswellgull wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:41 What has happened to George Dowling?
Dowling was out injured. I'm not sure if that is still the case. The problem now is that we have seven players on loan but we can only have five in a match day squad. Lemonheigh-Evans has grabbed his chance and this has meant Dowling and O'Sullivan missing out. Tough on both players because they have done okay, especially Dowling.

Yesterday, besides Evans, the other loanees in the squad were Barnes, Efete, Romain and Healey. On yesterday's showing, Owers can't leave out any of them.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Having now seen the OS video, I have to correct my earlier posting re Reid's cross from the right as the defender sliced a clearance rather than it being a header. It doesn't affect my view of Reid, who can also be seen rolling the ball into the path of Romain for that one on one in injury time which he scuffed.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Woking have sacked their manager hoping for a “Dead cat bounce”
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: