Torquay v AFC Fylde 11/04 (was pp on 3/3/18)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brucie wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:16 Think he was joking. On a serious note do Truro have any decent players at all? - I'm sure we could nick one or two. That Palmer and Gerring form a formidable partnership.
Truro? a club with a chairman who cares, a club who are in a play off position for National League football, a club with a manager who knows what he is doing and has a winning mentality - why on earth would any Truro player even contemplate leaving to join a dysfunctional club like Torquay. We will have to source players quite a few divisions lower to find anyone dumb enough to sign for us next season. Were not a big club anymore - we are just an everyday regional football club - it's time to get use to it.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

It goes both ways, I put my hands up and say I was thinking more about on paper. Ye son paper this team should win the conference south.

I have though about it, Id like players who want to make it, Players who are currently in this league playing part time. Who'd want to play Full time. Least theyd work hard. This season I have not seen that much.

People say you cannot Blame Owers.

We can and we have every right too.

Look at Solhill, They were right at the bottom 10 -12 points off at one point. They bring in Martin Yates and now look at them. Owers is partly the blame. Althought the ones who put on the shirt are to blame too.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:40 It goes both ways, I put my hands up and say I was thinking more about on paper. Ye son paper this team should win the conference south.

I have though about it, Id like players who want to make it, Players who are currently in this league playing part time. Who'd want to play Full time. Least theyd work hard. This season I have not seen that much.

People say you cannot Blame Owers.

We can and we have every right too.

Look at Solhill, They were right at the bottom 10 -12 points off at one point. They bring in Martin Yates and now look at them. Owers is partly the blame. Althought the ones who put on the shirt are to blame too.
Owers is fully to blame

After bringing in god knows how many players

Who would trust him with a massive summer rebuild which is what we need!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Dorel and Romain, as stated by others are the only ones I would keep but there are probably going to be others who are interested in them.
In Romains case he didn't have much option but to come down here being involved in the daggers fire sale late in the season. Dorel was looking for an opportunity to put himself in the shop window and had certainly done enough to attract attention.
As for the rest, they were crap at this level but that does not mean they will be any better at a lower level.
We need to look for genuine up and coming young talent from below the NL and look to older players coming to the end of their careers to help guide that talent, but for Christs sake ensure they capable of stringing two games together before they start bringing in a note from their mums.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:30I mean we are going down a league, There wont be anyone much better than Young. Would be a key player if he does end up staying.
On what basis are you making that statement? You patently do not know NLS or the levels immediately below it.

Luke Young is too often ineffective in the areas that count; has opted to take an easy ride in non league when he was released by a League 2 club and opts to take easy rides during matches unless it suits him.

I watch loads of games in NLS; and the Isthmian Leagues and there are plenty of far more match effective players in three levels of football below where he has chosen to idle away his career in the past three seasons.

Likewise there are central defenders far superior and more reliable than Gowling and McGinty to hold the back line, stick tight and keep the right side of their opponents and in McGinty's case retain the ball amongst his own side rather than cheaply giving it back to the opposition.

I would identify just Dorel and Romain as having the required desire and trustworthyness to always give of their best and not let you down ~ I'd be very surpised if either of them are still here next season.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:41
Owers is fully to blame
Absolutely - 100% - and his reaction to our failure tonight. Apparently it was not down to the officials, it was all down to basic defending. Hello! he has had 37 of the 47 games to get that right - and has failed dismally.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

If were going to get rid of him do it at the end of the season, Not 5 games in.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

To win promotion next season we are going to need people in the management team who really know about football and football players. This is Owers last chance to prove himself, but if he gets it wrong the outcome will be catastrophic for the club.
Personally I don't think Harrop had the skill set for the job he has and should be replaced, but at the end of the day it comes down to the owner. Does he care what happens to the club and even he did, where is he going to get the advice from to run the club properly given his total lack of knowledge about football?
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Maybe Saturday is now the time for a protest to get Owers out!!
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I think we are falling into the trap of shooting the monkey and letting the organ grinder get away scot free. It was clear some time ago that Owers was unable to bring about a change in fortunes, and Osborne could of, and perhaps should of, acted.
Osborne is 100% to blame for the club's predicament, don't let him off the hook.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:55 If were going to get rid of him do it at the end of the season, Not 5 games in.
Better still take the Chester and Woking route and do it now - or better still take the Guiseley path and dont have a manager at all.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I watch my local team, Guernsey FC, on a fairly regular basis. They play in the Isthmian League Division One South.

Honestly, I think some of the GFC players, and others in the league, could walk into the Torquay squad right now.

Words, for once, fail me as to how low we will have fallen by next season. Sad times for all supporters of our club. I’m sure there are some, behind the scenes, who don’t give a shit.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Angry doesn’t come close to explaining how I feel tonight. That performance was once again fu(king dreadful.

5 years of continuous failure on and off the field has ensured we’ve not only lost our Football League status, but now our NL status. The club needs to change from top to bottom to get rid of this culture of failure. Only then can we look to a more positive and brighter future.
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:32 What makes you think that?
You are falling into the trap of thinking just because we will be full time that means we will be better than part timers. Our team isn't good enough for the national league, that is proved by their relegation. Therefore there is no guarantee that they will be able to compete in NLS. Most of the players on two year contracts are either too injury prone to string two appearancies together or they are shit.
We have only two straws to cling too; 1) Owers decides to fall on his sword and we get a decent head coach in. 2) Owers, unlike Nicholson, will be able to learn from his mistakes and will be able to put together a fit for purpose squad.

By the way, those hoping there is a relegation clause in the long term contracts forget it.. These clauses usually favour the player looking for a better deal, no other club in their right mind would take these losers on.
The players on two year contracts are not either, they are both , injury prone and shit. Get rid of the bloody lot. The whole lot of them should hang their heads in shame in what they achieved this season, I say achieved in tongue in cheek as they achieved nothing
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 23:41 Owers is fully to blame

After bringing in god knows how many players

Who would trust him with a massive summer rebuild which is what we need!
Osborne will. Remember he knows nothing about football that's why he appointed Owers.
Lucy