Bad weather idiots

General chat about anything else goes here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Heard a lot said during the recent unprecedented snow fall in this area. Don't think it's got anything to do with people being more hardened 30 years ago plus, or even where teachers, or employee's of other business live.

Think it's now more down to insurance cover. 30 years ago there wasn't any 'where's there's a blame there's claim' 'no win, no win fee' lawyers '4' for you, on every street corner, like there is today, as such insurance company's will charge high premiums in such weather, and in other high risk circumstances , many schools can't afford it, as, is the case for small business.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Taelee1973

Post by Taelee1973 »

As someone who works at a secondary school, I can give an idea of how it worked during the bad weather.
I would say between 10-20% of staff couldn't make it in, or didn't want to try, during the bad weather.
I would say up to 50% of pupils wouldn't of been able to reach school, a percentage come from a distance away.
When we were open we had parents asking why we weren't shut, when we were shut, we had parents asking why we weren't open ! You can't win.
Due to the claims culture of recent years, parents would of blamed us for any incidents trying to reach school.
When pupils are onsite, it is our responsibility to keep them safe. I can testify that after shovelling snow for three hours, the paths and roads were safe, but that was all.
As you can imagine, a no snow ball policy was put in place, but teenagers and snowball fights go hand in hand.
That being said, in the 15 years I've been here, these are the first snow days we have had. 3 closed days in 15 years ain't bad.
Lee.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well as they say. There snow business. like snow business.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843