Who will be here next season in the NLS?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Will you be here next season?

Yes, always, TUFC 'til I die!
33%
If we're top of the league.
3%
If we're fighting for the play-offs.
4%
If we see the back of Owers.
3%
If we see the back of Osborne and Harrop.
4%
If we see the back of the whole bleedin' lot!
4%
I'll attend occasionally.
17%
If the prices drop dramatically.
4%
Only the big games.
3%
I will not be attending. I'm done.
24%

Total votes: 473

goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

Arrywithnobrain wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 23:55 Remember how Owers said Torquay weren't rubbish any more? Remember how long ago he said it? Remember how much better he has made the team? Remember that he will be in charge of the team next season? More memories to stack alongside Hargreaves and Nicholson in case you have some kind of dementia that forgets the last six months.
Remember we were told the players are fitter now,(12 points dropped on last 5mins of games since he arrived) formations and tactics are now more suited to this level of football, remember we were told of this great tactical manager coming in, an old school coach who won’t take any crap.

Yep, got all that wrong in the last 6 months too!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 01:49 Good post Mellow. Years ago a manager would run more than the first team, he would literally be responsible for the running of the whole club from the coaching staff down to the hiring and firing of the tea lady and answerable only to the board.
Some were office based such Herbert Chapman at Arsenal who relied on a team of coaches headed by George Allison, others were track suit managers who spent time on the training field.
Nowadays thanks to growing club infrastructure and the complexity of trying to run a business this is no longer possible. Virtually all so called managers are actually head coaches now.
Owers is probably directly answerable to Harrop who may or may not stick his awe in from time to time. If you want to make Owers a traditional manager you have to get rid of Harrop. As much as many would like that to happen it probably wont.
Owers is directly accountable to Harrop and Harrop is directly accountable to Osborne who is managing the show. Osborne is in effect Torquay United's Manager. For example, Owers was Osborne choice as his 'Yes' man, not Harrops who wanted one of the tried and tested 'managers' on the selection list. Osborne only wanted to recruit a 'lackey' so as to be able to limit their involvement in big decisions, hence Owers titled 'Head Coach' not Manager. Osborne is a 'control freak' and getting rid of Harrop will not change anything because, without total authority, he fears his Grand Housing plan for Plainmoor would spiral out of control.
Bxm Foxy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Bxm Foxy »

I really couldn't care less what merse has said in response to my post, entirely entitled to his opinion. My comment was nothing about being a Billy Big Bollocks, it was looking forward to a potential great day out at Truro, WSM etc. Most of my best days out with Torquay have been years ago away to non-league in the FA Cup. Not being billy big bollocks, just enjoying a big TUFC following.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

"Osborne is a 'control freak' and getting rid of Harrop will not change anything because, without total authority, he fears his Grand Housing plan for Plainmoor would spiral out of control."

Still can't see the point of building houses on Plainmoor - there isn't enough land for a start, unless it's going to be a massive block of flats! Maybe, just maybe there is actually a vision for a new stadium. How reassuring it would be to see some actual drawings, plans and costings. Mind you, still no 'local board' as promised for September - but which September I hear you ask??!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

budegull1954 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:47
Still can't see the point of building houses on Plainmoor -
I think the operative word is = Money! Take a look at what is being built on the old Cambridge City ground now. Brought by developers for 2m about the price of Plainmoor and prices ranging from one-bedroom home from £318,000, or £570,000 for a three-bedroom home: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-12406392

Cambridge City's original ground was one of the largest outside the football league after they where relegated to NLS and was estimated to have a capacity in excess of 16,000. The developers built a new 700 seater stadium but there was a legal dispute with their landlords over the ground. Cambridge City who now languish in the Southern League Division 1 (east) ground share with their Southern Premier League neighbours St Ives Town.

Love your optimism though i.e. "maybe there is actually a vision for a new stadium".
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

budegull1954 wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:47 "Osborne is a 'control freak' and getting rid of Harrop will not change anything because, without total authority, he fears his Grand Housing plan for Plainmoor would spiral out of control."

Still can't see the point of building houses on Plainmoor - there isn't enough land for a start, unless it's going to be a massive block of flats! Maybe, just maybe there is actually a vision for a new stadium. How reassuring it would be to see some actual drawings, plans and costings. Mind you, still no 'local board' as promised for September - but which September I hear you ask??!!
I agree with you about Osborne being a control freak. But why the concern over the local board? They will be tame lap dogs hand picked by Osborne to deliver his orders to those at plainmoor; because after all as you have said Osborne is a control freak.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

MellowYellow wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 17:35 I think the operative word is = Money! Take a look at what is being built on the old Cambridge City ground now. Brought by developers for 2m about the price of Plainmoor and prices ranging from one-bedroom home from £318,000, or £570,000 for a three-bedroom home: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-12406392

Cambridge City's original ground was one of the largest outside the football league after they where relegated to NLS and was estimated to have a capacity in excess of 16,000. The developers built a new 700 seater stadium but there was a legal dispute with their landlords over the ground. Cambridge City who now languish in the Southern League Division 1 (east) ground share with their Southern Premier League neighbours St Ives Town.

Love your optimism though i.e. "maybe there is actually a vision for a new stadium".
I can't believe that there is any "optimism" at all....
Given Osborne's history as a non stadium building person.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Jerry wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 20:24 So what's stopped you from doing something then? Why haven't you been on a day trip to Chew Magna? There's plenty of people who talk about various forms of protest but none of them ever seem to do anything themselves.

If you do decide to protest I would be very wary of organising anything in the family stand where people take their young children to watch the game. You can be assured that things would turn aggressive and frightening kids is not acceptable.
So lets all just sit quietly and do nothing then................like we have all season.
What am I doing about it? I'm waiting for TUST to do something other than ask nicely for Osborne to engage with them. It isn't happening guys. Wake up.
Protests on the pitch?
Banners?
Noise?
Anything?
(Removed as could be seen as a personal threat)

The club is dying and I, like many have had enough. Despite what people say, we are all customers and the product has been shit for several years.
Do you actually enjoy going to Plainmoor these days? I have to drag myself. I used to go into Boots pre-match and ejoy a drink or two but now I sit in my car until 2.50pm, walk in, witness the game then walk straight out at the final whistle. I don't buy a programme, I don't have a drink at half time, I go purely because I have a ST and have already paid.

I won't bother travelling down from work in the Midlands on Tuesday night but will go to the last game to say goodbye. After that, I'm taking a long term break and will take in games elsewhere around the country when working away or maybe pop down to Newton Spurs, Plymouth, Buckland or anywhere else where I won't have an allegiance.

Tuesday 1st May, I'll be working in Durham so I might pop into Scunthorpe on the way back for the Argyle match. Maybe I will, maybe I won't but if I do, I won't feel any dismay about the result, I won't feel angered or frustrated by a misplaced pass. Instead I'll watch two teams who we used to play regularly in league football battle to get even further away from us in the pyramid.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

My prediction is that when, hopefully next season, the team is actually winning games and is to be found in the top end of the league table, 'fans' will return.
Uffculme1

Post by Uffculme1 »

Whilst I agree with the many postings over the months that Osborne has an agenda that I am not sure we have yet fully understood,the fact remains he is the chairman, owner and wage payer, end of. We can carry on having endless discussions on his cunning plan, his lack of clarity and connectivity with the fan base, it matters not, he calls the tune, anyone who states that we do not need to leave Plainmoor for a new ground, your views do not matter to the chairman, and like so many chairman/owners of our club before him, the club becomes his or her toy, he can play where he likes and with whom he likes. Anyone with enough money wishing to change that fact then you know how to achieve your aim, but rest assured you will be crucified from day one by all and sundry, The almost perpetual negativity that is portrayed on this forum has a huge and toxic effect that permeates through the team, staff and supporters of the club.
There is still this magical and false belief that we cannot be where we are because we are Torquay United, well wake up give yourself a dose of reality, the only thing I can say on the supporters behalf is that none of this is our fault.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

The players will change, the managerial team will chance, the owner (with any luck) will change.
However, I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT TORQUAY UNITED

I live 200 miles from Torquay, so only take in between 10/16 games per season. However, I listen to almost every game, read this site daily and hope and pray we turn this around. Yes at times it hurts (almost every Saturday), but we all live in hope. So every single second of every day I support Torquay United and always will.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

I have from a good source that Brett Williams has signed!!!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

MellowYellow wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 17:35 I think the operative word is = Money! Take a look at what is being built on the old Cambridge City ground now. Brought by developers for 2m about the price of Plainmoor and prices ranging from one-bedroom home from £318,000, or £570,000 for a three-bedroom home: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... t-12406392

Who knows what they've got planned but a supermarket could be about the right size with a car park.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Quote from Dave Thomas today: "United is a club which is supposed to be gearing up to win the NL South, but waiting there will be plenty of Guiseley lookalikes, all itching to get stuck into the 'biggest' club ever to play in the division." A sobering but very true observation - unless Torquay United's players have pride in the shirt and have the right team ethic next season, it will be a 6th season of struggle I'm afraid. If Gary Owers is not to be replaced, recruitment HAS to be spot-on this time with players who are leaders and are ready to give their team-mates a rollicking if things aren't going well. We have lacked that all season - McGinty has done OK as captain at times and at least he showed a bit of passion when rowing with the Pop Side the other night but he is very quiet in most games. Anyone know Danny Racchi's contact details? Please pass them on to Mr Hedges!
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Already waiting for the fixturelist to be released in the summer. Hope to get to a home game in September combined with Abbfest :)

Bring on next season :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/