Mr Owers steps down

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Jerry wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 21:53 Well Jay Saunders for a start seeing as he got Maidstone promoted out of it.

Isn't this the first season Gavin Rose has managed at this level?
Yes, sorry I did re-edit to refer to his previous success has been to gain NLS status this season. Good manager though, 350 games in the last six season taking them on a promotions journey from Ryman South title in 2012/13 to promotion to NLS last season raising gate attendance from a few hundred to over 1,500 a game. Lot of disruption at Dulwich with property developers (sound familiar) leading to them being kicked out of their ground with the prospect of a winding up order. If approached he may see Torquay as a move in the right direction.
Embee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Embee »

No chance Gav would leave.
You need to know a little bit about the man.
His reason for living is his Aspire Academy which gives disadvantaged south London kids a second chance.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Looks like we are going to face some competition in getting next manager. Glenn Tamplin has just sacked another manager at Billericay.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Embee wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 22:24 No chance Gav would leave...His reason for living is his Aspire Academy which gives disadvantaged south London kids a second chance.
Your probably right. But then again he turned down a approach by Welling saying “I’m heavily involved at Dulwich Hamlet. I believe in the project and I think if I’m to leave here, it’s got to be for something I feel is going to push me on to another level".

Rose is and wants to be a football manager first and foremost and has aspiration higher than just an academy coach (as passionate as he is about it ) for 26 students who have two training session per week outside College time and play on a Sunday. There is also nothing to say he could not continue the management of academy, he has coaches training the students, so does not need to be there 24/7. Plus we would be a great feeder club.

So the time to move to a higher level may be now given that Dulwich is losing £150,000 before rent and operations cost; players budget cut 20% to £4,000, which has not increased as promised to Rose when he signed a new contract; bar/drink profits of £50,000 withheld by the landlords; a club that now survives on donations and gate takings with a winding up petition around the corner.

All the above said, I really only threw his name in the pot, as a manager that sprang to mind in reply to a post on ' our club looking at NLS managers'
Embee
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Embee »

I think your worry is that you're so out on a limb geographically.
In the home counties when a part time club needs a manager there will be no shortage of takers willing to give it a go, because their day job and family can stay consistent.
So you're probably looking at taking a punt on someone inexperienced (with no experience of managing pros), someone semi retired (Gordon Bartlett? Terry Brown?) someone local, or someone crap from the pro game.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Speculation elsewhere can be summarised as ‘Gary Johnson to be named Manager tomorrow’.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

His son Lee manages Bristol City, could be useful!
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

Had to happen and in my opinion should have happened at the end of last season.

Interesting speculation of a football tie up with Bristol City. How would that work? Is there a similar arrangement anywhere else? Don't they have a reserve league team already or would meaningful league(sic) games be more valuable to players?

Gary Johnson would be terrific, but can't really see it.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Being told Gary Johnson announced today.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gary Johnson is the exact kind of manager that would come in and galvanise the team and a world away from the Tully's, Todd's and Joyces of this world. Does he have the skills for the league we're in? Maybe or maybe not but he definitely has the contacts to bring in the players we need to turn things around. If he's the one then hats off to whoever persuaded him BUT let's not confuse this with the long term ambitions of our Chairman who will eventually let on what his true intentions are and they won't be for the benefit of the long term future of our Club.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Gary Johnson is 1000% a step up. The best manager we’ve had in a very long time If we manage to pull it off
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

davethegull2 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 05:37 Had to happen and in my opinion should have happened at the end of last season.

Interesting speculation of a football tie up with Bristol City. How would that work? Is there a similar arrangement anywhere else? Don't they have a reserve league team already or would meaningful league(sic) games be more valuable to players?

Gary Johnson would be terrific, but can't really see it.
I think the talk of TUFC becoming a feeder club for BCFC is just i uninformed speculation based on the fact that Johnson's son is the BCFC manager and they have lent us a few players in the past.
Also, although I may be wrong, I think it is illegal for two clubs in the same country to form a feeder relationship.
haz316
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: elliot benyon

Post by haz316 »

Was gary johnson manager at yeovil the same time geoff harrop was there??
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

haz316 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 07:31 Was gary johnson manager at yeovil the same time geoff harrop was there??
I believe that Asa Hall was at Cheltenham with Gary Johnson, during their Conference winning season, too! Looking promising. :scarf:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Gary Johnson would be terrific if it turns out to be true. I might even be tempted to return to Plainmoor to watch a game.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!