Hungerford Town v Torquay United 15/9/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

gateman49 wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 17:44 Me too (if I can use that phrase).
It's just a factual observation that's all... I know it's after a win of which we have been desperate for and 3 points but, you know, we have had years of watching and listening to defeats and I guess I am overcome with negativity when it comes to TUFC, another win or two on the bounce and I will, I am sure, recover the keenness and positivity, someone has already said if GJ can't do it no-one can... see, i'm at it again, being negative, someone snap me out of it! hopefully our strikers!!!!
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

We were the superior side from start to finish today. Hall and Andrews ran the show from midfield throughout and Reid and Keating worked tirelessly, Reid particularly impressing up front.

2 goals, hit the post and the woodwork, a clinical finish from Williams chalked off and a couple of decent point blank saves from their ‘keeper. And Gary Johnson got a Tiger Moth fly past before the game.

My out of 10 ratings.
Bass 6 Not tested often. Comes off his line to gather well. One flappy incident second half. Generally assured.
Wynter 6 Alright
Cameron 8 Quality
Essuman 6 Alright
Davis 7 Quality
Hall 8.5 Bossed the game
Andrews 8.5 Season long please
Edwards 6 Raw. Link up play good. Gets in right places. No left foot. Rabbit in headlights in front of goal.
Reid 8 Busy and decent all game.
Keating 7 Busy and alright. A nuisance.

All three subs looked lively when they came on, although Banton took a few minutes to get on the pace. Williams lovely finish chalked off. Wright needs to lose weight, but showed a few decent touches.
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2league2 I told you Reidy would come good :scarf: COYY
Road2League2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: The Lemon

Post by Road2League2 »

YorkshireGully wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:32 Road2league2 I told you Reidy would come good :scarf: COYY
YorkshireGully strikes again, he called it from the start. However didn’t see you down there today gully, stuck on the M6 again? COYY
ROAD TO LEAGUE 2 :keepie:
YorkshireGully
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Reidy

Post by YorkshireGully »

Road2League2 wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:33 Stuck on hard shoulder again in this camper van, had to make do with radio. Signing off now - Gary Johnson's yellow army :scarf:
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

We actually looked fitter and stronger today. Created numerous opportunities. Let’s not get carried away but a promising start.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Today was simply about stopping the rot, getting some confidence back. In that respect playing a team like Hungerford was perfect - they all battled and worked hard but (quite rightly) you could tell they are a amateur team. The first goal was crucial and if the players had more confidence in front of goal it could have been a hefty scoreline.

Standing behind GJ and ST in the first half it was great to hear them sending positive vibes and encouragement to the players despite occasionally saying negative things to each other. I hope they stick together and form a team going forwards.

My XI assessment was:-

Bass - 8 - solid and did nothing wrong other than a slight misjudge of a cross at the end
Wynter - 7 - finished strongly, I'm yet to be convinced though if against better wingers
Davis - 8 - powerful and always getting forward. Would love to see him run at the full back more though
Essuman - 7 - don't really recall anything of note!
Cameron - 9 - excellent and solid
Hall - 8 - lead from the front and dominated the midfield
Andrews - 9 - very impressive
Regis - 6 - suspect GJ will still have a ??? by his name
Edwards - 7 - worked hard, reminded me a bit of Carayol - flashes of great skill, got himself into some great shooting positions but I've never seen such terrible shooting!
Keating - 7 - works so hard, nothing really came off for him today and he was often out muscled by their giant centre back (who was very impressive). Missed the header at the near post which then fell for Reid's goal, put too much on a cross which nearly saw a Reid diving header goal
Reid - 8 - again, worked very hard, should score more but took his goal well

Subs - all made a impact and interesting to see if any start next week

All in all a great afternoon for a change and so good to see us scoring from corners rather than conceding! A passionate manager, a buzz amongst the team and fans and all at a proper non-league club who were great hosts and I wish them every success for the rest of the season (except when they come to Devon!)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Some very encouraging reports. The home game against Woking will really show us exactly were we are going forward.

Still only conceded 4 goals in 10 games is very good.With Ryan Dickson and Jean Niate back in the team soon I suspect GJ will feel we only need 1 or 2 players to turn the team into promotion candidates.

At long last I feel a real sense of anticipation of the next home game rather than a sense of will we ever score. Times are a changing at long last.

I know it is only one game but you can tell immediately GJ is the man for the job.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Onwards and upwards. Confidence will be high tonight and they have a leader who will only improve them. Just feel we need an impact striker. Let's face it 7/10 clean sheets, midfield starting to click. Sounds like too many chances went begging today. For those that say it was justHungerford, well last week it was Chippenham. We created more today than probably the entire season. COYY
Lucy
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Rjc70 wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:10 I’d say that’s a pretty fair summary of the game. We were the superior side from start to finish. The two good saves were from Edwards and Reid. Very disappointed for Williams that his goal was chalked off as his touch and finish was as clinical as you’ll see at either this level or the one above.
Give him the service and he'll score. I'm sure your local mates would agree 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dennisk
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ernie Pym

Post by dennisk »

Everything was just great today. Could have been 5 or 6 nil. New manager bonding with the fans. There is long way to go, but the spirit is back and Brett very unlucky to have his goal disallowed. Cameron was exceptionally good today, Asa Hall an inspiration too. The season starts here.......
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 20:35 Give him the service and he'll score. I'm sure your local mates would agree 😉
Absolutely. We all know he has that quality in his armoury. Whole team seemed so pleased for him when he ‘scored’. He seemed relieved himself. Maybe next Saturday.

Incidentally, I left Regis out of my 1-10’s. 6.5 from me. Effective going forward today. Not the best of first touches (ditto Edwards) and like Andre Wright, needs to shed a bit of timber yet to be at his best. GJ may be thinking he’d like to get 90 minutes out of them at Lymington after rations and some gruelling early week training.
Totnes_Yellow
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Totnes_Yellow »

That win is far bigger than just 3 points.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Great result

I watched Truro yesterday play Hampton & Richmond Truro battered them for 30 minutes then Hampton scored two on the break just as they did against us and took the points. It seems they soak up the pressure and break in numbers, there was always three or four players in the box when the ball was put in there.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

After a poor 1st half we played much better after the break and thoroughly deserved the win, albeit against a very limited Hungerford team.

We created very little from open play in the 1st half but were a threat from set pieces and it was no surprise when Reid fired home from close range after a corner. Wynter was the weak link in the back four and Regis was anonymous.

I don't know what GJ said to the players at half time but we played much better in the 2nd half, stretching Hungerford and creating lots of chances. Hall scored with a header, Banton hit the bar with a curling shot from 20 years and Williams had a goal disallowed for offside. Williams and Wright played well when they replaced Reid and Keating. Cameron was outstanding and the best player on the pitch, Andrews ran the midfield in the 2nd half and Regis got into the game, playing further up the pitch and supporting the forwards. Edwards reminds me of Paul Hall, loads of pace but no end product.

Going forward I think we need a target man because our forwards seem to be easily bullied by the big centre backs most teams in this league seem to possess.

The only negative for me was the behaviour of the fans behind the goal towards Hungerford's teenage goalkeeper in the 2nd half. Constantly singing that he was shit and cheering when he kicked the ball out of touch reflected badly on those fans and the club. He made two excellent saves in the 2nd half, which made the comments about his ability sound even more stupid.