Harrop Has Left The Building

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Moving him sideways must have taken one hell of an effort :O
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

I'm going to be unpopular here, but I knew Geoff reasonably well, and his endeavours as head of our academy a few years ago got my younger brother his dream move to Southampton FC (Making Tufc £000's in the process).

I'm not questioning anybody elses opinion here, merely stating that the Geoff I knew was a lovely, sensitive and hard working guy who was extremely well regarded in youth football at his previous clubs (Yeovil and Peterborough), and who did several young TUFC players justice by finding them moves to bigger clubs.

I distrust CO as much as the next man, and my compliments certainly don't extend that far. I do honestly believe however that Geoff thought that he was doing good for the club in bringing CO on board, obviously whether or not that is the case remains to be seen. Contrary to what some people seem to think, Geoff has not had anything to do with the football side of TUFC in his role as general manager. Last time I spoke to him, he was taking a lot of flak, and was isolated at the helm of our club, with CO hiding in the shadows rather than protecting Geoff and denouncing some of the misinformation that's been floating around.

Gary Owers was not Harrop's choice. Instead as has previously been reported on here and BTPIR, Harrop's man was actually Ronnie Moore, who came down to watch a game at Plainmoor before Osborn went over his head and went with Owers instead. Owers and Geoff had very little to do with one another, and to the best of my knowledge didn't get on at all.

In the face of some pretty disgusting and widespread abuse, Geoff seemed pretty depressed the last time I saw him, and was pining to get back to youth football where his passion (and talent) lies. Him and GJ are actually quite good friends, having worked together at Yeovil, and so that has not have any part in Geoff's departure.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Thanks for setting the record straight Mr Brooker. I for one will not be sorry to see all the 'fat Harrop' rubbish disappear from this forum. I wish him all the best in his new venture, whatever that may be.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

brooker wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:18 Last time I spoke to him, he was taking a lot of flak, and was isolated at the helm of our club, with CO hiding in the shadows rather than protecting Geoff and denouncing some of the misinformation that's been floating around.
Your attempt to defend him is admirable.

However, was it not his own stupidity; foolishness for taking the role as Osbornes gopher—intermediary—resulting, in him taking the blame when others fail to deliver. For that he has only himself to blame!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't think that anyone actually blames him for the appointment of Owers - its more that he introduced Osborne to the club and then seemed to manipulate himself into a nice cosy job, which he seemed to fail miserably at.
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

brooker wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:18
Gary Owers was not Harrop's choice. Instead as has previously been reported on here and BTPIR, Harrop's man was actually Ronnie Moore, who came down to watch a game at Plainmoor before Osborn went over his head and went with Owers instead.
I spoke to Geoff on the phone the night before the appointment was announced and he confirmed it was his choice and he even said "his neck was on the line" if he got it wrong. I challenged him on why it took so long and he said because of the compensation owned to Bath City and also they had to interview many canditates from different ethos backgrounds to adhere to the FA rules (funny how we sidestepped that procedure to get GJ).

I don't question your sentiment and it's good to hear another perspective on Harrop but if he's now claiming Go wasn't his choice then I believe he is trying to shift the blame.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SkyBlueGull »

I would add my comments.

Last week - after my father in laws funeral - I went to the ground to put a copy of the funeral service on his seat in the Bench so that his fellow supporters could see.

The club was empty but Geoff Harrop went out of his way to let me and my son in law in and took us around the ground. he couldn't have been more helpful and I will be ever grateful for that as he showed great sensitivity and he knew a lot about my father in law - never having met him - so I can only assume he reads the forums. He did however look flustered and stressed.

We criticise him - in some cases justifiably for decisions he made but regarding Clatk Osborne - I think we should take a step back.

The owners of Bristol Rovers, Swindon and Poole speedway have all been duped by CO in the past as well I cant help thinking that CO is a silver tongued con artist who has that extra-ordinary almost hypnotic ability - such that if you were in a room with him for long enough - you would sell your wife and children to him for some pipe dream . We have through Merse and Southampton Gull been made aware of his past but without people like that - and talking to CO about an area of business that we dont understand (and Geoff harrop is a football man not a business man) we could just as easily be duped,

Not saying this is true but at the end of the day there could be some merit in this and GH has certainly not ended up in a better position for bringing CO in - he too has fallen and I am not sure CO will be on GH's Christmas card list.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SkyBlueGull wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 16:32 I would add my comments.

Last week - after my father in laws funeral - I went to the ground to put a copy of the funeral service on his seat in the Bench so that his fellow supporters could see.

The club was empty but Geoff Harrop went out of his way to let me and my son in law in and took us around the ground. he couldn't have been more helpful and I will be ever grateful for that as he showed great sensitivity and he knew a lot about my father in law - never having met him - so I can only assume he reads the forums. He did however look flustered and stressed.

We criticise him - in some cases justifiably for decisions he made but regarding Clatk Osborne - I think we should take a step back.

The owners of Bristol Rovers, Swindon and Poole speedway have all been duped by CO in the past as well I cant help thinking that CO is a silver tongued con artist who has that extra-ordinary almost hypnotic ability - such that if you were in a room with him for long enough - you would sell your wife and children to him for some pipe dream . We have through Merse and Southampton Gull been made aware of his past but without people like that - and talking to CO about an area of business that we dont understand (and Geoff harrop is a football man not a business man) we could just as easily be duped,

Not saying this is true but at the end of the day there could be some merit in this and GH has certainly not ended up in a better position for bringing CO in - he too has fallen and I am not sure CO will be on GH's Christmas card list.

I'm glad for your sake he did what he could to make you feel valued. That's the very least the club should have done for you and hopefully takes away the bitter memories that Bill Phillips was responsible for.

I've said plenty of things about him, most of them deservedly so but we all have a better side I'd hope. Time for me to draw a line I guess and wish him the best for his future away from TUFC!!
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I had a few contacts with Geoff in his time at the club and, speaking as I find, I thought that he was a genuine bloke.

I am also in the camp that wishes him well.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Some helpful comments and information, throwing more light on what has happened. I, amongst others, have blamed Geoff Harrop for some of our pain over recent years, and this blame has clearly been excessive. Gulls fans have been through much crap over the past few years, and have been let down by some who have led the club badly. It isn’t surprising that we have sometimes commented in an OTT way, but it must be hard to be in the receiving end of this. I therefore wish Geoff Harrop well in his future, hope he finds somewhere to use his clear youth development skills.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

CO is a businessman and doesn't tolerate failure, the fact he has had to bring his own people in to run the club recently,suggests he lost faith in harrop in his role. It's irrelevant or history now who hired Owers, we just have to back Gary and the team for a promotion and get us out of this league
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brooker wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 14:18 I'm not questioning anybody elses opinion here, merely stating that the Geoff I knew was a lovely, sensitive and hard working guy who was extremely well regarded in youth football at his previous clubs (Yeovil and Peterborough), and who did several young TUFC players justice by finding them moves to bigger clubs.
Hold on a minute; Geoff Harrop never worked for Peterborough United...

I know his background; he was a player for Colchester United his local professional club and then went to play in Cyprus. He returned to head up youth development for Colchester and whilst there ~ being hugely reliant on talent from north and east London rather than local ~ was instrumental in persuading a particular player to take his football more seriously (along with his brother Kazeng Lua-Lu and cousin Tresor Kandol) and knuckle down to becoming a professional footballer. That player was Lomana Lua-Lua and an old acquaintance of mine called Vic Nichols workd with him on that project. Vic is now a veteran director of football at Haringey Borough and still trawling the local football scene for raw talent like the Lua-Luas. Yannick Bolasie is another member of that Congolese family. Not without success either; and if you tune in to the Haringey Borough v AFC Wimbledon live game in a couple of weeks time you'll see some of the end product of that.

Harrop then went to Northampton Town to head up their youth dept before coming to Torquay United. That is his background and he is very much a youth development man.

Young players trying to make their way in the game need people like Geoff and Vic; and people like them need young players...I guess that will be the field of expertise Geoff Harrop will move on to once again if he wants to remain in professional football.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Anyone 'in the know' know why Harrop was not offered a role in TUFC's youth system? I know Dave Hedges has become head of it now but I'm sure I read his background was in player scouting/recruitment.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

OllieGull wrote: 29 Oct 2018, 19:07 Anyone 'in the know' know why Harrop was not offered a role in TUFC's youth system? I know Dave Hedges has become head of it now but I'm sure I read his background was in player scouting/recruitment.
Whose to say he wasn't. But demoted from General Manager to Youth Coach would be a bitter pill to swallow.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Apologies Merse! I stand corrected!!