Who Are The "Shrinking Violets"?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

All a matter of conjecture at this moment. Some of the squad will prove themselves in time, and some of them won’t. Not so long ago the first player on the removal list for many supporters would have been Reid, but I think I am right in saying that is not the case now; no one has mentioned him on this thread.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Wolborough wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 13:46 Kalala is a player who will develop I suspect - has to be given time to settle into team. Don’t write him off yet.
I agree, needs to reign in his ' la Parisian ' attitude & get the basics right first & foremost but he is a flair player & a Johnson find after all, can see him come good in a short while if he's allowed to settle in like he wasn't at cheltenham
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

The context for Johnsons comments on shrinking violets must be considered around the Weston and the Billericay game where the teams were almost identical, the defence and especially the keeper cost us the points yesterday. However we had the chances to put the game to bed many times over, Keating's misses, Reid who cannot hit a barn door at the moment, and before anyone of the Reid protection society jumps all over me his goal to game ratio is one goal to every one and half games, take out his penalties and his goal rate is one to every four games. He is supposed to be our no one striker with the league pedigree to match, his weekly inclusion is not warranted by his performances.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 15:09 The context for Johnsons comments on shrinking violets must be considered around the Weston and the Billericay game where the teams were almost identical, the defence and especially the keeper cost us the points yesterday. However we had the chances to put the game to bed many times over, Keating's misses, Reid who cannot hit a barn door at the moment, and before anyone of the Reid protection society jumps all over me his goal to game ratio is one goal to every one and half games, take out his penalties and his goal rate is one to every four games. He is supposed to be our no one striker with the league pedigree to match, his weekly inclusion is not warranted by his performances.
I presume that this is another wind up.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Leave McDonald alone, we should be lucky to have him as number 2 keeper, yes he might make the odd mistake, but strikers missing from 2 yards(Williams last Saturday, Keating yesterday) are equally accountable. I'm a fan of Brett, but his contribution this season is pretty poor, Keating needs to go out on loan. We need to get to fa cup 2nd round as we will hopefully have some money to get a Rene Howe type player
Lucy
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

For gateman 49, its no wind up. check the stats. his return is poor, and I can imagine he costs twice as much as Keating a week.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:04 For gateman 49 ... I can imagine he costs twice as much as Keating a week.
Is Reid twice as good a Keating? - discuss.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

The debate about Reid and Keating will spilt opinions. This is because the two are incomparable, each in their own way. Nevertheless, strikers never differ that much when comparing outcomes.

Here are the reasons why for me Reid is ahead of Keating.

Reid can dribble past defenders more easily than Keating, who relies on his physical ability. Reid's scampering small strides enables him to change momentum at high speeds and slalom past hapless defenders something that Keating does not possess. Reid doesn’t just score goals, his magic wand of a right foot frequently provides the killer pass to set up a team-mate, hence he is top of the leader board for assists this season (13). Nothing is more prized in football than the ability to put the ball in the back of the net and in this respect Reid heads the leader board again as top scorer (10) whereas Keating with all his hard work rate and tirelessly running has yet to seriously feature as our main target man.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 04 Nov 2018, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod »

Reid, in his current positive mode, is a starter while, at best, Keating is just a squad player.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

Keating is playing one level above his ability. He won't get goals consistently and has had enough chances now.
He puts in the effort, hufs and puffs but no end product.
A loan spell might give him more confidence but I don't think he is quite up to it unfortunately.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

culmstockgull wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:04 For gateman 49, its no wind up. check the stats. his return is poor, and I can imagine he costs twice as much as Keating a week.
So what would a good return be I wonder? And that for a player who was being played out of position until recently.
Colin Marshall
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Liam Davis

Post by Colin Marshall »

For what its worth, I think Keating is one of the better "footballers" in this Torquay team. He has good close ball control, he makes some intelligent runs off the ball and he appears to have a broader vision of the game than some of his more lauded peers. I hope Johnson perseveres with him.
Whydoibother
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Whydoibother »

I think Johnson will be looking for some experience especially at the back. Dickson and hall have stacks of games under their belts. Keating is lucky to be here and keeps missing sitters plus although we don't concede many our defence is too easily beaten. Only Davies has any real games , rest are young ones. Essuman, niate and winter could be gone
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Colin Marshall wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 22:18 For what its worth, I think Keating is one of the better "footballers" in this Torquay team. He has good close ball control, he makes some intelligent runs off the ball and he appears to have a broader vision of the game than some of his more lauded peers. I hope Johnson perseveres with him.
This is what makes football forums so interesting.
I disagree with everything you just wrote.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by culmstockgull »

What exactly is Reids best position, is he a centre forward, is he a winger, Johnson has said he would like him on the end of things which indicates he thinks he should be playing in the middle, but it is not a position he is comfortable with born out by the fact he spends most of the time out wide, he can run and dribble but his crosses and final pass let him down, he has visibly bulked up in the last two seasons so he poses very few problems for full backs in terms of pace. No one would be happier than me for him to be a consistent 20 goal a season man and while there is talk of Keating not making the standard, Reid has reached that standard and better but not consistently and often enough.