Torquay United v Chelmsford City - PP 2/4/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

People in the last year have mentioned he's played more like Buster Keating but doesn't look like a comedian to me ,great energy and performance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Absolutely forkin buzzing, got to be up for work at 04.30 right now couldn't careless about that :) To be fair once again come up against one of this divisions better teams, however our performance tonight was excellent, right from the first whistle, there was a boundless energy about our team, and didn't give Chelmsford a sniff in the early stages, but there was no way our team could keep up that tempo for 90 minutes.

The game settled, and we saw two good sides giving it a real go, that suits us, and when Reid missed the penalty at 1.1, I started to think this isn't going to be our night, but then step Keating, his refusal to give up on a lost cause, seen so many times from him as he nicks the ball, followed by a pin point perfectly weighted low cross, 2.1, and the crowd are doing there nuts, then a more speculative hooked ball into the box, 3.1, and a deserved Motm for Keating.

The moment at the end for me was, the whole team, especially MacDonald celebrating in front of the popside, kind of the moment when our players know they have more than one hand on the trophy now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Keating really put in a shift the best game I've seen him play, Conor Evans never stopped all night and scored a deserved goal for his work. Jake Andrews diving header to finish off Keatings hard work was brilliant.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

greb46 wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 22:31 [highlight=yellow]I'm from Newcastle![/highlight]
:slap:

:@ You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!
:rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

FFS how good is Kalala. God he makes me happy
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

That was a really good performance tonight - Keating was deservedly MOTM, 4 splendid goals, two hits on the woodwork (one each side), fantastic save by their keeper from the pen, no quarter given by either side, good crowd and atmosphere - high class entertainment, much as Saturday's game. Well done everyone - deserved the plaudits from the popside at the end. Almost there now - a point on Saturday should be sufficient to remove any lingering doubts.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It doesn't get any better than that.

It was actually a no contest as hapless Chelmsford were so completely outplayed that I actually felt sorry for them as they trudged off at the end.

Three breathtaking goals topped off with Kalalas genius lofted pass to set up a cross for Andrews to nod in. In the unlikely event that we lose on Saturday it won't make a jot of difference - the league is ours but don't be surprised if beat Woking.

Absolutely brilliant night.
Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

Well that was well worth braving the cold for. That was a dominant performance. We played with a high line, we pressed quickly allowing Chelmsford very little time, we spread the play, moved the ball quickly and with a purpose and our attacking play was incisive. 3 quality goals and could have been 2 or 3 more. Every player contributed including the substitutes. I felt toward the end that Chelmsford resorted to launching the ball forward just to grab some respite from the onslaught. If we can play with the same tempo and intensity on Saturday I can`t see Woking coping with us. We`re nearly there and you sensed from the players celebrations that they know it too.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Great to be at Plainmoor again tonight. Well done Ruari - comprehensively MOM. I thought we missed Janneh up front, but fair play to Ryan Dickson who came in. He had a good game. Worrying to see Asa hobble off, but if he isn't fit for the Woking match, Jake Andrews can slot into the central midfield which is his favourite position anyway. Ruari Keating proved tonight what a threat he can be out wide.

Good to see Andrews back and another good 15 minutes or so by young Frank Vincent. He has an eye for a telling pass and he moves the ball on quickly. I'd like to see him given more game time during the last three or four games of the season.

We knew that after the WSM game, we had six games against teams in play off positions, or just outside. We have now won five of them - a fantastic performance by Gary Johnson and the players who look to be a close-knit unit. Confidence going into Saturday's game will be sky high and with great support from 1500 Gulls fans, who knows - we could make it six wins in a row. But I'd be very happy with a draw .....
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 00:27 Great to be at Plainmoor again tonight. Well done Ruari - comprehensively MOM. I thought we missed Janneh up front, but fair play to Ryan Dickson who came in. He had a good game. Worrying to see Asa hobble off, but if he isn't fit for the Woking match, Jake Andrews can slot into the central midfield which is his favourite position anyway. Ruari Keating proved tonight what a threat he can be out wide.

Good to see Andrews back and another good 15 minutes or so by young Frank Vincent. He has an eye for a telling pass and he moves the ball on quickly. I'd like to see him given more game time during the last three or four games of the season.

We knew that after the WSM game, we had six games against teams in play off positions, or just outside. We have now won five of them - a fantastic performance by Gary Johnson and the players who look to be a close-knit unit. Confidence going into Saturday's game will be sky high and with great support from 1500 Gulls fans, who knows - we could make it six wins in a row. But I'd be very happy with a draw .....
Tomogull, you’re right a draw on Saturday will be the equivalent to a win. I had concerns about this match, but bloody hell we delivered. The Weston defeat would appear to be a blessing in disguise. To go on from that defeat and then beat 5 teams in playoff places or certainly in contention is what will make us champions. Woking will be demoralised by tonight’s result
Lucy
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:22 :slap:

:@ You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!
:rofl:
Lived here too long gone soft and Mike Ashley has a lot to answer for, Torquay are playing better football at the moment.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Sky bet now have us at 1/9 to win the league! On this note i checked my bet on Bet365 this morning, and can no longer cash out, or click through to see the odds. Does anyone know why this is? Ive searched their site and they dont seem to offering any bets at all on the National League South?
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Sorry, looks like it was a glitch, or they were changing odds, as it's back online.

Bet365 have us at 1/10 on !!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

What an evening, great team performance. Myself like others questioned whether we could perform to the same tempo and intensity as Saturday.
Right from the whistle we ran Chelmsford into the ground. TBF they came to have a go and put 2-3 up and went for it. Connors goal was pure class. They equalized with a well taken finish. Kalvin was struggling to impact on the game offensively however i have seen a big improvement over the last 2 games defensively with him. GJ must have had a word with him at HT because as soon as the 2nd half started he was right on it causing them problems which lead to the penalty.
I couldn't see whether the keeper tipped it onto the post or not, if he did get something on it then it was a tremendous save.
Keating was incredible, he was like a man possessed , his determination to compete and win the ball was magnificent. His contribution for Reids goal was brilliant.
That was one of the best team performances of the season for me at home. Every player excellent.
Lets hope Asa Hall is ok.

I thought the ref made some very odd decisions tonight.

The crowd and atmosphere was awesome. The scenes over at the popside at the end was just a pleasure to witness.

What a great night!!COYY
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

For the record, we have equalled the number of league goals (83) in season 2007/08. We are close to beating the next highest which was in 1959/60 (84). Jamie Reid is the highest league goal scorer since Robin Stubbs (39) in season 1964/65.